Instant Add New Media button/feature.

Guest topbanana

Guest topbanana

When i add say 15 new movies to my library folder, they don't appear in emby for ages!
Only one new/unidentified/posterless movie shows up (old bug, all 15 new/unidentified do show up in folders view).  Only after ages do they appear, with all the metadata and images.

Can we have a button, perhaps just on the dashboard, that instructs emby to:
* Immediately halt any other processes, scans, etc.

* Scrape the library folders for new media.
* Show these discovered new/unidentified/posterless movies in the 'Latest Movies' view (as it used to before the bug/change a while ago)

* Systematically acquire all the metadata, images, etc. for each new item.

Then emby will show up the new media as quickly as the server, internet connection will allow.

Now the new can be watched, organized, edited, checked, etc.

Hi.  We already have all of that in a number of ways.

First would be to use automatic monitoring but, if your file system doesn't support that, then you can either scan or refresh a library manually using the web app.

Guest topbanana

Automatic monitoring is already on.
But the library scans take bloody ages (always has!), and the new titles aren't immediately shown.

The feature of the 'Instant Add' button would mean that no matter what setup emby had, it would go to work adding the new movies, as quickly as the internet connection would allow.

Automatic monitoring is already on.

But the library scans take bloody ages (always has!), and the new titles aren't immediately shown.

Can we please look at an example? Please discuss an example and attach the information requested in how to report a problem. Thanks !

Guest topbanana

It's the same ALL the time, every example.  If i add movies, i they don't immediately appear.  Only after a scan starts, one shows up... And only the one shows up as new/unidentified/posterless, unless you look at Folders view.  Sometime later, hours perhaps, do they all appear (apart from the foreign films of course, as emby still can't handle movies with the original name in the filename!  they remain unidentified sadly...) 

How long does it take for your system/emby setup to show the new media you've added???

The feature i'm asking for will cause emby to show them up within a minute or two.

When we add new media, we sometimes like to see it straight away.

How long does it take for your system/emby setup to show the new media you've added???

About 60 seconds.

That's why we're asking to look at logs from a specific occurrence from you.

maegibbons

@@topbanana the devs are trying to help you.

it is unusual for new media to take so long to appear in your Library.

So they want to check your FULL log to understand why realtime monitoring and the scans are taking so long to add media to your Library.

For me new media always appears within a couple of minutes max.

Krs

Mark

Happy2Play

This all comes back to systems that Real Time Monitoring doesn't work and take over an hour for library scans.  If RTM and regular scans don't work or take forever, there is no way for a instant add to work either.  How is it suppose to know something is new without a scan?  Or are you suggesting a way for you to manually say "I have new media" here is the exact path, manually?  Overall either we need to figure out why external media takes so long to scan or what on your system is causing slow scans.

RTM is set to monitor your libraries every 90 seconds,  library scans should not take hours.  My 38TB server takes less than 5 minute to perform a every 12hr scheduled scan.

Happy2Play

The only thing that log shows is your server has no internet access as all attempt fail.

Edited by Happy2Play

Also this is just a startup log of the server, what we need is a log that contains an example of the problem you are trying to report. A lack of internet access could be slowing the process though as you will have to wait for http requests to try and then timeout and fail.

Can you please create an example and then attach the complete emby server log from the time of the example? thanks !

Guest topbanana

This all comes back to systems that Real Time Monitoring doesn't work and take over an hour for library scans.  If RTM and regular scans don't work or take forever, there is no way for a instant add to work either.  How is it suppose to know something is new without a scan?  Or are you suggesting a way for you to manually say "I have new media" here is the exact path, manually?  Overall either we need to figure out why external media takes so long to scan or what on your system is causing slow scans.

RTM is set to monitor your libraries every 90 seconds,  library scans should not take hours.  My 38TB server takes less than 5 minute to perform a every 12hr scheduled scan.

I've never witnessed new movies get added immediately.  So I've assumed there was always the massive delay.

With my setup, i can see that emby has found them, one appears in 'latest movies', and they all appear if you look in 'Folders'.  But they're unidentified, posterless items.

The 'Instant Add' feature would be a button that you choose to press, because you wanted to see the new media added as fast as possible.  Emby would then drop everything, find the new files and identify them.

This feature would mean that no matter what setup emby had, RTM or not, you could add the new media asap when you desired it to.

The 'Instant Add' feature would be a button that you choose to press, because you wanted to see the new media added as fast as possible.  Emby would then drop everything, find the new files and identify them.

What we are trying to tell you is that already exists.

With my setup, i can see that emby has found them, one appears in 'latest movies', and they all appear if you look in 'Folders'.  But they're unidentified, posterless items.

That description is consistent with your system not having access to the internet at the time those items are added.  Thus, all metadata requests time out until such time as the access is restored, and then the metadata comes in.

If you do what Luke requests, we can confirm this but I'll bet that is what we are going to see.  So, the question then becomes, why can't your system access the internet at this time...?

Guest topbanana

Also this is just a startup log of the server, what we need is a log that contains an example of the problem you are trying to report.

Can you please create an example and then attach the complete emby server log from the time of the example? thanks !

There was one new movie sitting there unidentified when that log was created.  

I could see it in 'Latest Movies', unidentified and posterless...

Here's a second log.

There are now 3 extra new movies that it's found.  Again, only in Folder view, i can see them all, 4 of them now, unidentified and posterless.

I'm used to seeing them sat there in that state for hours and hours.

emby log 2.txt

Edited by topbanana

Guest topbanana

... A lack of internet access could be slowing the process though as you will have to wait for http requests to try and then timeout and fail.

I use 3G/4G mobile internet out here in Indonesia... It sometimes drops out.  But even when i've had great, stable, fibre, adsl, whatever internet, i've only witnessed the same behavior.  It sees the new files but takes bloody ages to ID them.

What we are trying to tell you is that already exists.

Where is it?

That description is consistent with your system not having access to the internet at the time those items are added.  Thus, all metadata requests time out until such time as the access is restored, and then the metadata comes in.

If you do what Luke requests, we can confirm this but I'll bet that is what we are going to see.  So, the question then becomes, why can't your system access the internet at this time...?

Sometimes it's gone stale and needed reconnecting...  but i see this all the time, mostly when the connection is constant, stable.

Happy2Play

It would be a Library scan, it exactly what your definition of "instant add" does.

Guest topbanana

It would be a Library scan, it exactly what your definition of "instant add" does.

I already use that...  But      it        takes       hours           and            hours           and       it          only        much      later        adds         the       identified       new        movies .........

Jdiesel

Here's a second log.

There are now 3 extra new movies that it's found.  Again, only in Folder view, i can see them all, 4 of them now, unidentified and posterless.

I see some DNS errors in your log file resolving www.mb3admin.com and api.github.com. Do you have a firewall or antivirus software that might be blocking your connection? This might be the reason it is taking so long to identify the movie and fetch the metadata.

I already use that...  But      it        takes       hours           and            hours           and       it          only        much      later        adds         the       identified       new        movies .........

Okay and we're trying to tell you that the reason for that is because the system is not able to get out to the internet in order to download metadata at the time the items are discovered.

No additional function within Emby can fix that :).

Guest topbanana

I see some DNS errors in your log file resolving www.mb3admin.com and api.github.com. Do you have a firewall or antivirus software that might be blocking your connection? This might be the reason it is taking so long to identify the movie and fetch the metadata.

I've recently started using DNSCrypt (Indo blocks all the fun internet sites (even reddit and VIMEO!(???)) just by intercepting the dns requests.

This does cause me to see dns timeouts .

BUT

The behavior i've seen in emby has been the same since i started using it a few years ago.  DSNCrypt i've only used for a few months.

Happy2Play

Okay how can your "Instant Add" be implemented any differently, since there are already 2 features in place to do exactly what you want just not fast enough on your setup?

Here's a second log.

Can you describe the activity you performed during the time of this log file? thanks.

CBers

Flakey, sporadic internet won't help either.

The library scan will just stall and eventually fail/timeout when trying to download metadata.

You should still see the movie though, but they'll be little or no metadata and may not be named/identified correctly.