Emby of F-Droid

geotux

Hi,

is there a reason for not having Emby on F-Droid? I have LineageOS installed on my phone and refuse to have the google junk on it, which means I don't get the option to have Google Play either (thank goodness ...). That means I rely on F-Droid repositories to install my apps and get notification for updates.

Luckily the package is made available from the download section of the Emby website but it is a hassle ...

It would be good if you guys got Emby on FDroid. ;)

Regards and keep up the good work. Emby is getting better and better as time goes on.

May be worth considering then (https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/Inclusion_Policy ) as I think it would increase the user base significantly. The requirements indicate that the software should be under a FLOSS licence (GPL, Apache, etc).

One of the reasons I moved to Emby was that it embraced open source more widely than alternatives. Github indicates that Emby is GPL 2.0? BUt i guess the android app is using some other bits of proprietary blob?

• 3 months later...
twinkybot

There are in-app purchases available within the Emby Android app.

This is not a reason not to be GPL or to be present in F-Droid. Only if you hide features but even not then :D

The only conditions are that the Source Code is available to anyone and can be copied, modified, re-used. Therefore if you hide some functionalities well the lazy ones have to pay :)

https://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software

Money making:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DoesTheGPLAllowDownloadFee

twinkybot

Darn forgot above being said, I'd also vote for an app to be available in F-Droid.

Edited by twinkybot

There are in-app purchases available within the Emby Android app.

This is not a reason not to be GPL or to be present in F-Droid.

which means I don't get the option to have Google Play either

Without the Play store, in-app purchases cannot work.

• 2 weeks later...
twinkybot

@@Luke thanks that is exactly where I then downloaded the APK.

Does the App start without Play Services at all? I have an Fairphone 2 OpenOS 18.01.1 which is based on Android Version 6.0.1.

When I start the App the Screen stays black. Sometimes with the grey bar on top but otherwise nothing happens.

I deleted the data and the app and re-installed. Which did not help.

Does the App start without Play Services at all? I have an Fairphone 2 OpenOS 18.01.1 which is based on Android Version 6.0.1.

When I start the App the Screen stays black. Sometimes with the grey bar on top but otherwise nothing happens.

@@twinkybot if you can provide an app log then i can look into whether or not it can be easily resolved:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15638-how-to-report-an-android-problem/

Thanks.

twinkybot

@@twinkybot if you can provide an app log then i can look into whether or not it can be easily resolved:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/15638-how-to-report-an-android-problem/

Thanks.

Hi thanks for the Link

after seeing below output. I checked in system settings. Indeed the storage access permission was not given. Right now I am playing around with installing, restarting and giving the permission. As it still does not want to start.

EDIT: I manually deleted the com.mb... folder. Only after a restart it is re-created. Stopping and starting the application does not help it seems.

Sun Jan 28 21:18:55 GMT+01:00 2018 AndroidSyncFileRepository started. syncPath: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.mb.android/files/sync
Sun Jan 28 21:18:55 GMT+01:00 2018 Calling MediaSyncAdapter.updateSyncPreferences. syncPath: null
Sun Jan 28 21:18:56 GMT+01:00 2018 Received instruction to updateCredentials
Sun Jan 28 21:18:56 GMT+01:00 2018 AppVersion: 2.9.76
Sun Jan 28 21:18:56 GMT+01:00 2018 DeviceId: <id>
Sun Jan 28 21:18:56 GMT+01:00 2018 DeviceName: FP2
Sun Jan 28 21:18:56 GMT+01:00 2018 initStore called
Sun Jan 28 21:18:56 GMT+01:00 2018 IAB helper created.
Sun Jan 28 21:18:56 GMT+01:00 2018 Starting in-app billing setup.
Sun Jan 28 21:18:56 GMT+01:00 2018 file:///android_asset/www/cordova/iap.js?v=28: Line 261 : Uncaught (in promise) Error: Java exception was raised during method invocation
Sun Jan 28 21:19:11 GMT+01:00 2018 MainActivity.onPause
Edited by twinkybot

The app will require the Google Play Store.

Anything to get Google Play Services on the F-Droid on XDA Developers?

twinkybot

Anything to get Google Play Services on the F-Droid on XDA Developers?

You do not need Play Services. For me it is working without. Now :)

• 1 year later...

Is this still a thing?  I downloaded and installed the APK on Lineage 15 without Google services installed. The app crashes immediate on startup.

• 4 years later...
Zander3768

I know this is a really old thread and probably a dumb question (maybe @Lukecan answer) but i'd rather not start a new thread since my question is related. Does the apk source from the emby website also include the Google Firebase Analytics tracker? Exodus-privacy seems to say the android TV version doesn't have that tracker. If the Android (non TV version) does include it, its still not a roadblock for me, I use e/OS on my fairphone4 (a fork of LineageOS mentioned above) so I can always run things thru the microG app to spoof google stuffs & make it work anyway, I just wondered so I can be as unreliant on the evil google as possible & mostly just curious lol.  I was also going to ask about an F-Droid version but this thread saved that repeated question lol.

Screenshot_20231022-144858_Firefox.png

1 minute ago, Zander3768 said:

I know this is a really old thread and probably a dumb question (maybe @Lukecan answer) but i'd rather not start a new thread since my question is related. Does the apk source from the emby website also include the Google Firebase Analytics tracker? Exodus-privacy seems to say the android TV version doesn't have that tracker. If the Android (non TV version) does include it, its still not a roadblock for me, I use e/OS on my fairphone4 (a fork of LineageOS mentioned above) so I can always run things thru the microG app to spoof google stuffs & make it work anyway, I just wondered so I can be as unreliant on the evil google as possible & mostly just curious lol.  I was also going to ask about an F-Droid version but this thread saved that repeated question lol.

Screenshot_20231022-144858_Firefox.png

Emby for android uses push notifications but it is not a tracker. It is used with the download feature so that your Emby server can notify the Android app that a download is ready.

• Like 1

Zander3768
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Emby for android uses push notifications but it is not a tracker. It is used with the download feature so that your Emby server can notify the Android app that a download is ready.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. 😁

• Thanks 1