Struggling with the basics of IPTV

revengineer

revengineer

I am trying to setup IPTV but I am struggling with the basics. After not getting the plugin to run, I thought I try some basic testing using VLC. I followed the instruction at https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-run-iptv-in-vlc. However, I cannot get a single channel to stream. I figure that it makes no sense to get this working in emby before I can get a basic stream to work. If anyone can give me a hand that would be great. TIA

maegibbons

Where are you getting your streams from?

You are right, get a stream working in VLC first.

If you you can post or PM me an example I can try and help.

Krs

Mark

CBers

After not getting the plugin to run

Do you mean the IPTV plugin ??

Are you trying to get Live TV via a IPTV provider ??

If so, then don't use the IPTV plugin, but just add the IPTV source to Emby as an M3U Tuner.

Again, PM Mark ( @@maegibbons ) as he seems to have become the IPTV expert for Emby Live TV :D

You can copy me in as well if you want.

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

revengineer

Where are you getting your streams from?

I was using http://avenard.org/iptv/playlist-tpg-vlc.m3u mentioned in the link above. None of them seem to work pointing to a local issue. Does this work for you? Is there a better URL for testing?

Do you mean the IPTV plugin ??

Are you trying to get Live TV via a IPTV provider ??

If so, then don't use the IPTV plugin, but just add the IPTV source to Emby as an M3U Tuner.

Again, PM Mark ( @@maegibbons ) as he seems to have become the IPTV expert for Emby Live TV :D

You can copy me in as well if you want.

I was using the IPTV plugin. I did not know I could add the m3u url to Live TV. Well, I tried that and the screen stays dark, no stream.

I wondering if this is an issue with my pfsense firewall. There is something like an IGMP proxy, not sure if that needs to be configured and how. This may not be as easy as I thought it would be, and I may need to do some reading.

maegibbons

Hi

The problem is very likely with the stream listing you have.  I have tried some of the steams and they are bad.

Stuff that you just pick up on the internet will generally not work, work for a very short period of time or work very intermittently.

Even for testing I would advise you to sign up for a free trial (usually 24 hours) with one of the many IPTV services that are around. 

You will get an m3u playlist that IS KNOWN TO WORK and therefore it is much easier to debug other issues.

We can then help you with setup.  Get a working list first.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

maegibbons

ROFL! :rolleyes:   If only!

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

revengineer

Thanks, Mark. So the NASA TV channel link works in VLC. It then seems that the playlist I was using as well as other links I found were just bad links. That brings me to my main misconception: I thought I would be utilizing a free offering. In particular, I wanted to access German public television, which is not a paid TV channel. It then seems that I need to sign up for an IPTV service. I will sift through the providers and give this a shot.

maegibbons

Hi

You MAY be able to find links for National television stations IF they publish by IPTV.  Certainly you will NOT get premium content free that works reliably.

I have some links for UK National TV but in general I pay for an IPTV service for both Standard and Premium content.

Do some research on your German channels first.

Krs

Mark

revengineer

ok, so I signed up for 24 h trial of necroiptv. I received an m3u playlist with embedded credentials. The playlist works fine on VLC and in emby. I also got the TV guide to work using XMLTV as the provider. I did not see a means to schedule a recording from the guide as I am able to with my HDHomerun. Is recording of IPTV not possible?

revengineer

It looks like recording works for channels with schedule. The channel I am interested in does not have a schedule.

So I think at this point I understand IPTV. Thank you for the startup help!

• Like 1

Spaceboy

It looks like recording works for channels with schedule. The channel I am interested in does not have a schedule.

So I think at this point I understand IPTV. Thank you for the startup help!

this has been asked for