4k HEVC transcoding with HP N54L + GT1030

Hellboy42

Hellboy42

I guys . I'm totally new to emby so i hope my question won't be too stupid for you

Status : HP n 54l with xpenology and plex media server. I want to switch from plex to emby because there is nos significant improvement on hardware transcoding since a year and i need a plex pass to use it.

Purpose :  Adding a Nvidia gt1030 for Hardware transcoding on the fly 4K HEVC from it to read it from a distant place.

Is there any chance it works ?

Like i dont whant to waste my money I decided to try emby on my gaming computer (gtx980 + 6600k + win 10) to see how mature was hardware transcoding on Emby.

Just installed the server and running it. No configuration other than switching to Nvidia NVENC.

Switch to my Z3 tablet with the android app and do this :

Try to read a full HD movie in H264  - without transcoding => OK CPU 1% NO GPU

- Transcoding to 720P 2mbps => 13% CPU 20% GPU  (why ? shoudln't the cpu stay to 1%)

Try to read a Full HD movie in H265 -  without transcoding => OK CPU 1% NO GPU

- transcoding to anything Doesn't work . (log attached).

Any advice on the probability to decode 4h hevc  with Hpn54l + gt1030 is welcome.(most of all for say to me it will works :D )

Any help to understand why my test was a faile dis welcome too.

Let me now if you need any other informations or If i forgot something.

The error message in the log says 

Generic error in an external library

from a quick google someone was able to solve it by updating their video drivers:

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/cannot-start-recording-with-nvenc.47906/

I would suggest trying that.

And that is the reason why we will probably never require you to pay for hardware transcoding. It is really a troubleshooting nightmare due to how sensitive it will be to whatever is going on with your system.

What you could also do is try grabbing a newer ffmpeg build from here:

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

and setting it up under the transcoding menu.

You can also go into the transcoding menu and turn off gpu decoding or encoding and leave the other on. That will help isolate if the issue  is related to encoding or decoding.

chingsay

Yeah, start with disabling the decoding.

hello there! I'm sorry that it may not related to the topic but could you give me the suggestion to build a new emby server. But i don't know the about the hardware and cpu for running an emby server for 50 user at the same time. So what kind of specification of cpu  and hardware should i build?

Edited by chingsay

Guest asrequested

hello there! I'm sorry that it may not related to the topic but could you give me the suggestion to build a new emby server. But i don't know the about the hardware and cpu for running an emby server for 50 user at the same time. So what kind of specification of cpu  and hardware should i build?

Take a look at this

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50131-what-should-i-buy-to-have-150-clients/page-1

Waldonnis

Yeah, start with disabling the decoding.

^^ This.  The GTX-980 can't do hardware decoding of HEVC.  I think the fixed-function decoder was added in the ti model, but I'd have to double-check.  Here's the relevant line in the log that indicates to me that your card can't decode HEVC in hardware:

[hevc_cuvid @ 000000000242ac20] ctx->cvdl->cuvidCreateDecoder(&cudec, &cuinfo) failed -> CUDA_ERROR_NO_DEVICE: no CUDA-capable device is detected

I only really see that in one of three situations: driver problems, your hardware doesn't support that codec, or you're trying it without nVidia hardware (or CUDA) installed.

Hellboy42

^^ This.  The GTX-980 can't do hardware decoding of HEVC.  I think the fixed-function decoder was added in the ti model, but I'd have to double-check.  Here's the relevant line in the log that indicates to me that your card can't decode HEVC in hardware:

[hevc_cuvid @ 000000000242ac20] ctx->cvdl->cuvidCreateDecoder(&cudec, &cuinfo) failed -> CUDA_ERROR_NO_DEVICE: no CUDA-capable device is detected

I only really see that in one of three situations: driver problems, your hardware doesn't support that codec, or you're trying it without nVidia hardware (or CUDA) installed.

I was seriously doubting what you said because i was pretty sure that gtx 9XX can do hardware transcoding of HEVC but you are right.

Looks like 970-980-980ti do only partial/ hybrid decoding . But smaller card like gtx 950 and 960 can do it https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981372/geforce-basics/which-gpus-support-hevc-a-k-a-h-265-/post/5036767/#5036767

From other forum sources looks like it can fully encoding but only hybrid decoding.

I will try this evening with disabling hardware decoding. If nothing change i will borrow a gtx1060 (which is nearest from the gt 1030 than my 980) from a friend to make further test this week end.

Waldonnis

I was seriously doubting what you said because i was pretty sure that gtx 9XX can do hardware transcoding of HEVC but you are right.

Looks like 970-980-980ti do only partial/ hybrid decoding . But smaller card like gtx 950 and 960 can do it https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/981372/geforce-basics/which-gpus-support-hevc-a-k-a-h-265-/post/5036767/#5036767

From other forum sources looks like it can fully encoding but only hybrid decoding.

I will try this evening with disabling hardware decoding. If nothing change i will borrow a gtx1060 (which is nearest from the gt 1030 than my 980) from a friend to make further test this week end.

I have a GTX-970 myself, so I'm very familiar with that generation.  The 950 and 960 were anomalies since they were released later and they integrated a different PV block into them than what they used in prior Maxwell cards.  That and cost are what made them so desirable for HTPCs at the time (and even today).  Also, note that the 980 can encode 4k HEVC Main, but not Main10 nor Main 12, so no HDR output.  Pascal's block is more efficient overall anyway, so it's better to test with that (since you can borrow one) than try to equate performance across generations.

ShotToTheDome

So can the nvidia 1030 even do hardware nvenc encoding? I saw some stuff that said it could not previously and have not seen a success post anywhere yet. I was thinking about getting one to test emby with before maybe looking at a quadro p2000 (server is linux based)

Edited by ShotToTheDome

Waldonnis

So can the nvidia 1030 even do hardware nvenc encoding? I saw some stuff that said it could not previously and have not seen a success post anywhere yet. I was thinking about getting one to test emby with before maybe looking at a quadro p2000 (server is linux based)

I'm seeing some info that the GT-1030 cannot, which somewhat surprises me.  A few past GT- cards have had fixed-function blocks, so I assumed this model did too.  I guess they left it out for some reason.

Edited by Waldonnis

Hellboy42

So after a lot of try and a lot of read it looks like i can't achieve what i want with emby for the moment. Can't find a confirmation that a gt 1030 can HW decode with emby and don't want to (maybe) waste money.

But i love it so i bought a refurbished nvidia shield TV which will replace my htpc for now ,running plex media server for hardware decoding H265.

I will keep emby on my N54L for everythinhg else (music, ebook, games, photos).  Hope in a near future i can replace PMS by emby on the shield TV

Thanks everyone for your help.

• 5 months later...

The next release of Emby Server for Linux x64 will include NVENC support out of the box so all you need to do is enable it. 

Nvidia Cuda and OpenCL drivers will need to be installed first. These cannot be freely distributed by us so you will need to refer to your respective distro to learn how to install them.

Thanks !

PrincessClevage

So after a lot of try and a lot of read it looks like i can't achieve what i want with emby for the moment. Can't find a confirmation that a gt 1030 can HW decode with emby and don't want to (maybe) waste money.

But i love it so i bought a refurbished nvidia shield TV which will replace my htpc for now ,running plex media server for hardware decoding H265.

I will keep emby on my N54L for everythinhg else (music, ebook, games, photos). Hope in a near future i can replace PMS by emby on the shield TV

Thanks everyone for your help.

I use the 1030 on win10 OS and it plays hvec 265 media fine with ET desktop set to auto (usually uses 3d3).

I believe that you can pick up 1030 for like$50

Edited by PrincessClevage