Short jumps backward issue

jscoys

jscoys

So I confirm I was able to watch a tv show episode without any problems with Alohe on my iPhone! It’s a good workaround since the bug is fixed by Apple... due to this bug, unfortunately, we can consider the Emby App video playback and through Safari broken and useless, even if it’s not your fault guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jscoys

Hum little update: some movies launched on Alohe are stuck at the “circle of death”, aka “loading forever and not starting playing”. So we definitely need Emby team to update their Emby IOS App or we are in a bad shape!

dcrdev

So the app has been completely unusable for over a month now.

When are we likely to see the next version pushed to the app store?

• Like 1

jscoys

Seems we’re condemned to use a third party app (Alohe) to access our library and play it from iOS...

jscoys

@Luke: little question for you: did you change the streaming mechanism to be HEVC in Emby iOS app?

jscoys

What ISP are you using for mobile?

No ISP @@Luke... wifi! I have a 120/20 at home where the server is and I tested with several wifi from outside (restaurant, coffee shop)... but Luke please read what the problem is here: your native app and web app, when playing a video, randomly jumps backward for 1-2 seconds and it can repeat several time this 1-2 seconds. So with your lead of the ISP you’ll just loose time because it should just stop the playback, buffer, and the start again... here it JUMP BACKWARD...

To help you, as already said (please read the thread from the beginning), it started with iOS 11. So since iOS 11, Emby video playback is broken (iPhone, iPad...).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscoys

Hello @@dcrdev and @@Luke, yeah applications using safari engine to stream are indeed broken... I don’t know if you know dailymotion (it’s like YouTube), and I have the same problem there on my iPhone X (just tested again today). It’s really annoying... in the meanwhile you can use Aloha web browser you can find on Apple store and access through the web to you Emby. Emby UI is a little bit pain in the ass on this browser, but once the playback is started it’s super smooth and no more issues there... for you @@Luke: do you plan to implement your own rendering engine as @@dcrdev suggested before (like VLC)?

dcrdev

FYI - Apple just released an iOS 11.2 point release, it doesn't fix this issue.

I think in general a html5 based video player is shoddy in this situation, it's clear that this isn't very stable. Literally every feature release of iOS breaks it, the app is absolutely abysmal interns of reliability and has been the entire time I've used it (which is going on 2 years) .

Please just once and for all replace the html5 video with an integrated library like libvlckit. It's all very well you saying we've added x, y and z to enhance the user interface - but at the end of the day if it doesn't work, your really just pruning a dead horse; look at the app store reviews, look at this forum section, does that not tell you something.

jscoys

Yeah you’re right, I will have to explain that the app is not working with IOS 11 on the Apple store, at least to prevent someone to buy it and then come here and complain it’s not working...

• 4 weeks later...
jscoys

Hum @@Luke the problem has been there for 4 months now, seems Apple won’t do anything surely considering that apps have to adapt to there new streaming system... do you plan to adapt the IOS app to their new streaming system or to use another video renderer in-app?

If you look at what we're doing with android using libmpv, we're very interested in doing the same for our apple apps as well.

Have you tried the 11.2.5 beta in case it might make any difference?

• Like 1

dcrdev

I'd say you should be more than interested - that would likely solve most people's complaints with the app entirely.

11.2.2 has made this slightly worse fyi .

jscoys

If you look at what we're doing with android using libmpv, we're very interested in doing the same for our apple apps as well.

Have you tried the 11.2.5 beta in case it might make any difference?

Ok @@Luke Thx for considering us, sometimes we’re upset because of lack of visibility on what’s going on... sorry but don’t want to jailbreak my iPhone 10 for now... please just go ahead quickly to push the 11.2.5 in App Store [emoji7]

jscoys

@@Luke, I know we already spoke about that, but can you focus on implementing your own video lib in the Emby iOS app that is not working at all for video playback instead of focusing on implement the MPV lib in the Emby android app that is not suffering from any issues today???

• 2 weeks later...
jscoys

Hey @@Luke there are several issues for the image size or position in the app when playing a movie on the iPhone 10... I would be glad to work on different reports/screenshots to help you in fixing all these issues BUT... if you think the playback issue (short jump backwards) won’t be fixed on your side (because I confirm that Apple doesn’t care apparently), I don’t want to waste my time for nothing you know, the playback being totally broken, I don’t see the benefits of improving the video size/position... let me know!

With the native player there's not much we can do as it is a platform defect, so it's just a matter of waiting. We are very interested in embedding a more robust video player such as libmpv or libvlc.

jscoys

With the native player there's not much we can do as it is a platform defect, so it's just a matter of waiting. We are very interested in embedding a more robust video player such as libmpv or libvlc.

Do you think you can do it soon? It’s not to annoy you, but I love the iOS app, and it’s so hard to not be able to finish the complete workflow from selecting to playing the video and having to go through Aloha app on iOS that embed its own video player. So... please.... help!