Short jumps backward issue

jscoys

jscoys

Hi boys,

Experiencing a weird problem for nearly 1 month ago. It was already the case with the Mono version of the server (know that because I installed 4 days ago the new Emby .Net Core server and still have the issue).

I have to do more tests, and also to do a little video to show my problem, attach Server logs etc... but I wanna grab some other IPhone 6 / IPad Mini experience feedbacks. Here is my issue:

- Happens on my iPhone 6 or IPad Mini, on LAN or outside

- happens through the web app or the native IOS App

- I start a video, and from 10 to 20 seconds, I have jumps backward (it backwards 2 seconds approximately each time). It can backward up to 3 or 4 times on the same position, like a scrached disk you know? The problem is that honestly it’s unplayable.

- if I go on anyway and still play the movie or episode, it finishes to stop playing, with a whole dark screen

I will produce a video and provide server logs, but in a first time is there iPhone 6 users who can bring their testimonies? Is there iPhone 8 users who can bring their testimonies also to see if its a device limitation?

FYI YouTube is working perfectly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whjensen

Similar problem on IOS.  My experience is that it has to do with some sort of buffering problem.  It happens when the play mark catches up with the buffer mark.  Note: it shouldn't be happening, as this happens on strong signals and does not happen on other platforms.  My workaround on my phone has been to drop quality down.  It obviously works but is not ideal.

• Like 1

jscoys

Similar problem on IOS. My experience is that it has to do with some sort of buffering problem. It happens when the play mark catches up with the buffer mark. Note: it shouldn't be happening, as this happens on strong signals and does not happen on other platforms. My workaround on my phone has been to drop quality down. It obviously works but is not ideal.

Do you have an iPhone 6?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscoys

@@jscoys Just checked.  It's now running full resolution over both cell and wifi without hiccups.

Thx my friend, and thx @@Luke for having fixed the issue! Watching am episode of Walking Dead was smooth. I had and other hiccups on the 50 minutes of the episode. What is weird is that the buffering bar is far from the current position, so I don't understand why I have hiccups, and I suppose that FFMPEG is producing them? Anyway I will try again in next days and report any hiccups I could see.

FYI YouTube is working perfectly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except youtube isn't serving data from your HP Pavilion home computer.

• Like 1

jscoys

Did i do anything? I don't think I did. It sounds like something environmental.

Hum, I don't think so. With the 3.2.33.3 we had, @@whjensen and I, the problem. It disappeared partially with the 3.2.33.5 for both, so if it's really environmental as you say, his router and mine discussed together to have a problem at the same time with the .3 and then decided together to work properly with the 3.2.33.5. I'm sarcastic ;-) and I'm pretty sure there is something that was changed between in Emby between the .3 and .5. As I said I will do more tests to see if everything is working well now.

"Did i do anything?" I'm a little bit worried about your comment @@Luke. I sent you different logs to help you debugging. Even if it's for me (Because I want the app to work properly on my Iphone), it's also for you that I do that. Do you think a potential new subscriber will actually subscribe with a poor playback quality like that? I posted the first logs on the 4th October and you didn't do anything indeed. I'm an old user of Emby, Media Browser 3 and the version before (When it wasn't Client-Server) and I think we need more attention, even if you don't have the time. Know it's hard for you and thx in advanced for your time, but please don't consider that's we've got isolated problems that we caused because of a misunderstanding of the Software... Thx!

• 4 weeks later...
whjensen

Re-opening this.  Tell me what logs you need and I'll upload.  It apparently (did not know this) created 15 transcode logs for the same playback.  Do you need them all?  Behavior is really wonky.  I thought it may have been a bad behavior caused by buffering or auto-detect, but it's not.  Yesterday I saw this behavior with a good 15 minutes buffered.  It appeared randomly and would jump back around 1 second.  Really quite frustrating.

• Like 1

jscoys

Re-opening this. Tell me what logs you need and I'll upload. It apparently (did not know this) created 15 transcode logs for the same playback. Do you need them all? Behavior is really wonky. I thought it may have been a bad behavior caused by buffering or auto-detect, but it's not. Yesterday I saw this behavior with a good 15 minutes buffered. It appeared randomly and would jump back around 1 second. Really quite frustrating.

Hello sir! For logs provide the transco file corresponding to the period the problem occurs and give the server log also. Thx :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Rohanaj

Re-opening this.  Tell me what logs you need and I'll upload.  It apparently (did not know this) created 15 transcode logs for the same playback.  Do you need them all?  Behavior is really wonky.  I thought it may have been a bad behavior caused by buffering or auto-detect, but it's not.  Yesterday I saw this behavior with a good 15 minutes buffered.  It appeared randomly and would jump back around 1 second.  Really quite frustrating.

I'll toss my hat in this ring for it happening to me on my iPad (version 1.4.4) as well.  It appears to only happen on the iOS app though, not Android, Xbox One, or any browsers I've tried.  Same behavior as you mention, where it has more than enough buffered, but it will randomly jump back, usually 1 second.  In addition to this, if I stop playing the item when it happens and try to Resume play, it spins like it's trying to load, then the background is replaced with a play icon with a slash through it, which will then not load regardless of how long I let it spin.  If this happens, I have to force close the iOS app, re-open it, and begin playing that media from the very beginning as resuming will not work regardless of how many times I try to restart the app.

It seems to happen more often on external networks, but has still occurred even on my home network.

I just ran a test of an 18-minute section on my iPad on an external network.  Buffering was not an issue.  Playback encountered the issue we're talking about and jumped back 1 second nine times during the 18 minutes of playback.

I then ran the exact same 18-minute section on Android on an external network and there were no jumps.  A third attempt ran on a different Android device on a cellular network and again had no jump issues, so it's being confined to the iOS device.

@@Luke, can I PM the server log to you later today after I grab just that 18-minute portion out?  I'll also include what times the jumps happened since I noted those while watching.

Rohanaj

Sent the log for the earlier set.  Just tried playing the same section on the home network and it was skipping backwards more frequently than when I was playing it on an external network, even only in the 5 minutes I played right now.  Let me know if you need the log from that as well.

Edit:  When I glanced at the log from those 5 minutes, I saw that even though I was on my home network, it was still connecting to my Emby server through my public/external IP address.  After clearing that server connection out and having it connect through my local/in-home LAN address, it played through the 18-minute media section perfectly, with no backwards jumps.  So it's actually not a problem when playing on the in-home LAN connection, but it definitely occurs any time when connecting to the server through the public/external IP address.

Edited by Rohanaj

jscoys

Thx Luke it’s very important. Something to help you:

- if it goes backward for 1 seconds, the timeline advances anyway like if everything went correctly. So it desync everything when there are several backward jumps and if I resume on an other device it’s ahead of the previous position...

- if some backward jumps happen, like 3 in 10 seconds, if I rewind for 15 seconds, it’s doing the same 3 backwards at the exact moments in the movie (buffer or transco?)

- it happens more frequently on iOS app than on the web app.

Hope it’ll be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hum seems we’ve got a hemorrhage on Apple devices:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=77624&share_tid=53198&url=https%3A%2F%2Femby%2Emedia%2Fcommunity%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F53198-Last-few-seconds-is-being-replayed&share_type=t please fix it it’s really annoying...

I don't think anything is hemorrhaging nor am I convinced where you cross-posted is the same issue.  His issue sounds like a long-standing problem encountered in certain situations when we try to convert items on the fly and deliver via a specific protocol.  This always occurs at the end of the item as opposed to what you are reporting here.

dcrdev

Although I also have this issue, but posted it as part of another thread in the Linux forum along with a log.

I think with all due respect "haemorrhaging" is an accurate representation, with almost every release that comes out something breaks; maybe this is due to incompatibilities with new iOS versions but it still happens. It makes the app unreliable, an experience that is mean't to make my media easily available is actually quite the opposite.

If I didn't have to use the app I wouldn't because it just seems like the same old issues are cropping up again and again. It's not like these issues are fixed quickly either, it's usually weeks before another release gets pushed out.

All the other apps seemed to have matured wonderfully and are in general quite stable, but the iOS app has not changed much the entire time I've been using it; which is around 2 years now.

• Like 1

jscoys

OKKKKKKKKK HOLD ONNNNN. I investigated a little bit and it seems it's a root problem of IOS 11 and his default video player in Safari. So I guess the Emby App is using this default video player... You can have a look to all complaints right here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8082640?start=45&tstart=0

It seems that using "aloha" browser from the App Store helps solving the issue (You have to use the Web access though) because it has it's own video player and we can use it up to apple fixes iOS 11 video player... I'ven't tried it, will do on Tomorrow and let you know.

So for Emby two solutions: 1) You work on your IOS App and put in it your Embedded video player, like Aloha does and then become autonomous or: 2) You do nothing and wait for IOS 11 to get the fix for Safari native video player...

dcrdev

OKKKKKKKKK HOLD ONNNNN. I investigated a little bit and it seems it's a root problem of IOS 11 and his default video player in Safari. So I guess the Emby App is using this default video player... You can have a look to all complaints right here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8082640?start=45&tstart=0

It seems that using "aloha" browser from the App Store helps solving the issue (You have to use the Web access though) because it has it's own video player and we can use it up to apple fixes iOS 11 video player... I'ven't tried it, will do on Tomorrow and let you know.

So for Emby two solutions: 1) You work on your IOS App and put in it your Embedded video player, like Aloha does and then become autonomous or: 2) You do nothing and wait for IOS 11 to get the fix for Safari native video player...

Yeah that's hardly surprising - 

To be honest I don't know why the Emby devs don't just embed VLCKit in their app - that would be a vastly superior experience. 

• Like 1

jscoys

Yeah that's hardly surprising - 

To be honest I don't know why the Emby devs don't just embed VLCKit in their app - that would be a vastly superior experience. 

And the big advantage of it would be that they won't have to listen to us complaining a lot as usual for something that is not on their hands  :P  :D  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Edited by jscoys