Managing Photos Collections

daniel.bmyer
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

daniel.bmyer

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to manage my photos collection.  I have two groups of Photos, Family Photos and Travel Photos.

I'd like to be able to click on Photos, then have to subgroups, Family Photos and Travel Photos.  Can't figure out how to do that.  RIght now all photo folders are dumped under Photos.

I'm sure it's something simple, but being new to Emby I just can't seem to figure it out.

Hi.  If your file system is structured that way, then that is what you should see in Emby as well...

daniel.bmyer

Well, actually it's not.  I have two folders in my file structure, Family Photos and Travel Photos. When creating the library, I created both with the name Photos.  If I create them both with their names, then across the display screen I would see Music, Movies, TV Shows, Travel Photos, Family PHotos.  I would rather see Music, Movies, Photos etc.  When clicking Photos, then the groups.  I have something similar in Kodi and JRiver...I'm guessing you are saying Emby cannot do this, am I correct?

• Solution
Happy2Play

Are they not \Photos\Family Photos and \Photos\Travel Photos with the Library pointing to \Photos?

• Like 1

daniel.bmyer

Yes and No.  I do have them in that type of structure on my NAS \photos\Travel Photos and \Photos\Family Photos.  But I also have other photo folders under Photos which I didn't want Emby to display so created two separate library entries for each.  Perhaps I did it wrong.  If I point to \Photos, can I then remove or hide the folders I don't want Emby to display?

Happy2Play

Yes you can put a ".ignore" file in folders you do don't want Emby to see.

Edited by Happy2Play

daniel.bmyer

Where exactly do you I set the "ignore folder".  I don't see that anywhere...is that on the server or somewhere else?

Happy2Play

You create a file named ".ignore" and put it a folder you want Emby to ignore.

attach a .ignore file

.ignore.zip

Edited by Happy2Play

Ah, yes Happy has you on the right track.  You need to point a single library to the parent folder and then you will get what you expect.

Happy2Play

Now the issue is later remembering why those items are being ingnored by Emby and not thinking it is a bug. :)

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

daniel.bmyer

When there's a problem like that, I always look in the folder to see what's in there. SO hopefully seeing a file called ignore should help :)