Support for custom directory structure

ebirman77
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ebirman77

Hello. I am a new user and this is my first post in the forum.

I've read https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/674-media-files-folders-structure/ , nevertheless I'd like to keep my movies directory structure as it always was: /movies/<director>/<year>-<name>-<other info>. Is there any way to pass this structure as an option or hint to the database scraper with variable substitutions like %D %y %n, etc?

If this was asked before please reply with a link to the post.

Thank you

Deathsquirrel

You might possibly have luck if you add the \director folder to your library instead of \movies.  I doubt it but no harm in trying I suppose.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Happy2Play

I don't think Emby will be able to recognized that naming scheme though.

• Like 2

ebirman77

You might possibly have luck if you add the \director folder to your library instead of \movies.  I doubt it but no harm in trying I suppose.

I enclosed the word “director” inside “<” and “>” signs hoping to imply it is not a literal string but a variable substitution, I am sorry if I wasn't clear.

Untoten

I can't think of any logical reason why you would want to store your movies by Director on the file system.

Seriously, that seems like a nightmare.

ebirman77

Can you show us a screenshot of an example? This is hard to visualize. Thanks.

59d52a705e924_movietree.png

Please ignore any inconsistencies, missing colons, and such. This is just to give you the picture :)

ebirman77

I can't think of any logical reason why you would want to store your movies by Director on the file system.

Sometimes I think this myself :) Any order seems arbitrary and I won't discuss the reason of my preference here. I am not asking this just for myself but for any other person who might dislike a directory structure being enforced. It just seems a sensible feature to request for.

ebirman77

Have you tried adding your current structure as "Mixed Content"?  If so, what happened?

What would I accomplish?

Happy2Play

Structure can be worked with but file names are another story.

ebirman77

59d52a705e924_movietree.png

Please ignore any inconsistencies, missing colons, and such. This is just to give you the picture :)

I agree, as you can see from the screenshot sometimes I am too lazy to rename the files. It is a work in progress.

I think this would probably work if you make it a home videos library.  Given your file names, I don't think any automated metadata search is going to work anyway.

ebirman77

Thank you all for your input.

In the meantime I'll just stick to the recommended directory structure until the feature gets implemented, and try a more general solution like http://www.tagsistant.net/. I am optimistic.

I still think that using hints in the form of %variables for metadata scraping would be nice. Gmusicbrowser offers something like that for filenames. Of course, with music you have other resources like Musicbrainz, acoustic fingerprints, and such.

dcook

You should use a program to automatically name your media in the correct format, Filebot for example is pretty common, and works on both Windows and Linux.

Deathsquirrel

You should use a program to automatically name your media in the correct format, Filebot for example is pretty common, and works on both Windows and Linux.

Maybe??  There is absolutely nothing consistent in the naming of the folders of media files in his screenshots.  That screams manual labor.

• Solution

that structure actually isn't too bad and i think it should probably at least partially work as a movies library.

but yes as a home videos library it will be fine.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
ebirman77

Why not use couchpotato/sickbeard etc to rename?

I'll give a look at this but as Luke said, it sort of works with my current naming scheme (mess).

Edited by ebirman77

Untoten

I'll give a look at this but as Luke said, it sort of works with my current naming scheme (mess).

Yes but might as well unify the naming convention before your collection grows to a scale that makes this a nightmare.  I had that task recently with anything named the (movie name).  I changed all to (movie name), The.