Box sets and Movie view

saitoh183

saitoh183

With Box set we can get a menu to view them all but could the boxset also appear in the movie menu when we browse in MBC instead of seeing the actual movies in the set. I think the point of making boxset is so that we dont have all the movies of the set individually shown in the Movie area. 

Is this something to come or should i add this to the feature request?

trusselo

you can have boxsets in your movie view, if you dont use the auto-boxset feature.

create your directories manually as such...

\Movies

\Movies\Alien Collection [boxset]\

\Movies\Alien Collection [boxset]\Alien (1979)\Alien (1979).mkv
\Movies\Alien Collection [boxset]\Aliens (1986)\Aliens (1986).mkv
\Movies\Alien Collection [boxset]\Alien³ (1992)\Alien³ (1992).mkv

include [boxset] in the folder name of each actual boxset, and info will be fetched for it automatically.
now in your movie view you will have a single boxset item, that you can 'go into' to see the items, instead of them being scattered in your movies alphabetically.
  • Like 2

saitoh183

you can have boxsets in your movie view, if you dont use the auto-boxset feature.

create your directories manually as such...

\Movies

\Movies\Alien Collection [boxset]\

\Movies\Alien Collection [boxset]\Alien (1979)\Alien (1979).mkv
\Movies\Alien Collection [boxset]\Aliens (1986)\Aliens (1986).mkv
\Movies\Alien Collection [boxset]\Alien³ (1992)\Alien³ (1992).mkv

include [boxset] in the folder name of each actual boxset, and info will be fetched for it automatically.
now in your movie view you will have a single boxset item, that you can 'go into' to see the items, instead of them being scattered in your movies alphabetically.

Thanks for the explanation...a pity we cant achieve this with the plugin. I get i can always add it as FR in the plugin section. I'm guessing its because the plugin makes pointers to the actual file  and does not actually move the file like you describe. 

Edited by saitoh183

• 4 months later...
lionking15

Hi

Please could u help me, as I have been trying to get this right for 2 days, with no success...I have set my folder structure and tagged it exactly as described above, but I am still not seeing it in box sets in normal movie view, it's only in box sets when I look under collection. I don't have the auto box set plugin installed.

Is there any setting, that I am supposed to check somewhere ?

Thanks

I wouldn't follow these instructions anymore as we have improved these features since then.

Instead, I would create your box sets with the Metadata Manager and then turn on the "Collapse movies into box sets" option.

lionking15

Thanks for response on both posts

In metadata manager they are set up in box sets, but I'm battling to find where to turn on "collapse movies into box sets". I am using media browser 3 server

• 1 year later...

Has this changed again? Because when I click the User Icon I get a sidebar with two buttons Settings and Sign out. If I click Settings I don't see My Preferences, instead I see 4 options. The only one that makes sense is Display Settings. In here I don't see "collapse movies into box sets, instead I see "Group movies into collections". however when I click that the boxsets do not appear together.

Koleckai Silvestri

Has this changed again? Because when I click the User Icon I get a sidebar with two buttons Settings and Sign out. If I click Settings I don't see My Preferences, instead I see 4 options. The only one that makes sense is Display Settings. In here I don't see "collapse movies into box sets, instead I see "Group movies into collections". however when I click that the boxsets do not appear together.

Yes, it changed again. What you're doing is correct though. When you click on Collections under Movies, do you have any Collections listed?

The option is now called "Group movies into collections" because that is a much clearer description of what it does.

Yes, it changed again. What you're doing is correct though. When you click on Collections under Movies, do you have any Collections listed?

No I didn't have anything under collections except my own custom collections. I read more and found the autoboxset plugin that created collections for me, but I am probably going to revert and go back to single titles because I want the collections to just be my own custom lists (ex. 'Holiday', 'Mom and Dad', 'Kids', etc). Putting boxsets into collections just clutters it up and makes it harder to find my own lists.

It would be great if there was a way to only show boxsets in the movies list, and not in the collections list and vice-versa. I doesn't make a lot of sense to me to have them in both.

Edited by PHPpro

Deathsquirrel

It sounds like you're using collections for something most of us are addressing with libraries, users, parental controls, genres, etc.  Collections can absolutely be used to build a collection of any media you like, but managing related movies and sequels is probably the single most common use, hence the plugin.

If I want to see holiday movies I go to Genres and browse to the Holiday genre.  If I want to see kids movies I login as user Kids.  There my parental controls already strip out everything kids don't need to be watching.

That's not to say what you're doing is wrong, but there may be better ways to get where you want to go.

• Like 1

I think I might be able to do this with tags. Is there a way to only show movies from a single tag in an account? I could label all the kids movies with tags and only allow those in the kids account.

Or can I show tags in the menu? then we would have to switch accounts, we could just select the tag we want to see and go to those movies.

Edited by PHPpro

Deathsquirrel

No, tags are used to block content, not allow it.  I use separate accounts for adults and kids and block access to inappropriate content using parental controls.  I could use tags to block things that meet my mpaa ratings controls but I just change the movie rating instead.

So I did setup a kids account, but when I set the parental rating to PG it still shows movies that my kids would not be interested in, like star trek 2, airplane, james bond, which are PG movies, but still have inappropriate content.

I guess I just need a way to have a very cultivated list of movies. I was hoping collections would solve that, but perhaps emby does not offer what I am looking for.

Wow I have to label everyone of my movies as kids-blocked? that is a lot of manual labor. It would be so much easier to setup a list of appropriate movies.

Also it sounds like I have to label all the kids movies as adult-blocked so they don't show up on mine, or my wife's list, and I will have to label all my wife's movies as me-blocked, and all the holiday movies as the same.

Then for my wife I have to label all my movies, and others that she doesn't want, as her-blocked.

Then to switch we have to log out of each others accounts and log back in to a different account. Then navigate to the movie section. That is a lot of clicks.

You guys really made this much more difficult than it needs to be. It makes sense if everyone has their own devices, but we don't. We all share tv's and computers, tablets, etc. Constantly having to switch accounts depending on who is watching is a pain. I am ok with all of us sharing the same account, that reduces clicks when switching movies. I am not worried about the kids accidentally watching the wrong movies. I just want to clear out the clutter and provide them, my wife, and myself with a list of movies we would be interested in. Why is this so difficult?

Yes I can get it done your way, but that is so much harder than it needs to be. I really think the best solution is still to just make collections for each person. No complicated rules and restrictions, no multiple accounts, just a simple list. And switching between collections is really simple, one click. If only this were possible while still using boxsets and not getting them all cluttered together. I guess that is too much to ask.

Just for reference I am migrating from using mymovies.dk. Whenever I added a new movie all I had to do what label it with the group it belonged to and it would show up in the correct lists. Now I have to do the opposite and label it with the groups that it should be restricted from, which is way more difficult.

Anyways, thanks for the great software, you have done a lot of great work. I understand you can't please everyone. I will keep playing around with the software. Hopefully I can figure out a simple way of doing simple lists.

Deathsquirrel

If everyone is really that dedicated to not seeing other people's content you can set those movie sets up as separate libraries and not give each other access to the libraries you don't want to see.

If everyone is really that dedicated to not seeing other people's content you can set those movie sets up as separate libraries and not give each other access to the libraries you don't want to see.

This is how I manage it.  There are a bunch of TV series and movies my daughter watches that I and my son don't care about so those are in separate libraries only she has access to.

Also, for the odd situation where a rating doesn't fit with what you require, there is the "Custom Rating" field.  You simply change that to whatever rating you would apply and parental controls will treat it as such (but the display will still show the actual rating).

Koleckai Silvestri

I don't. I use movie libraries to catalog different things. I have libraries for classic movies, different animation studios, holidays and general movie libraries. If I want to watch Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, then I can go into the Disney library and only have to look among 110 items, not search through the entire library of over 1000 movies.

Then I don't have any children under the age 17 in the house either. My youngest will be 20 this year.

Deathsquirrel

I don't. I use movie libraries to catalog different things. I have libraries for classic movies, different animation studios, holidays and general movie libraries. If I want to watch Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, then I can go into the Disney library and only have to look among 110 items, not search through the entire library of over 1000 movies.

Then I don't have any children under the age 17 in the house either. My youngest will be 20 this year.

I don't either but if I DID I would just set things up like this:

Library1-movies for everyone

Library2-movies only for me

Library3/4/5-movies for each other user in the house.

Then I'd set all movies to display together and give each user access to Library1 and their own movie library so they saw common titles plus their own stuff.  Then I'd run that through the parental controls to filter by rating.  Repeat for TV shows as needed.

Personally I don't mind scrolling past something I wouldn't likely watch.  Maybe I'll change my mind.