Emby server no longer filling tv show season year?

djhifi

The problem is Emby is not respecting the folder name as defined on the file system. 

This is the major issue, and I don't believe this major change was ever communicated properly or thoroughly tested.

Nor does there seem to be anyway to disable this change.

CBers

Can one of you check for a season.nfo file in the season folder and see what the <title> field is set to?

paulsalter

For Rellik i am not getting a season.nfo (only thing different is no episodes at all for this show)

For my newly added season 06 of Dr Who, I have this

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<season>
  <plot />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2017-10-12 14:12:47</dateadded>
  <title>Series 6</title>
  <art>
    <poster>E:\TV\Doctor Who (2005)\season06-poster.jpg</poster>
  </art>
  <seasonnumber>6</seasonnumber>
</season>

paulsalter

That is correct, change it in there or Metadata Manager and it shows up as whatever i change it to, originally though it used to use the folder name as the Season name

Just did a refresh of metadat for Rellik, season.nfo has now been created

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<season>
  <plot />
  <outline />
  <lockdata>false</lockdata>
  <dateadded>2017-10-12 13:44:44</dateadded>
  <title>Series 1</title>
  <art />
  <seasonnumber>1</seasonnumber>
</season>
Edited by paulsalter

CBers

So the question is, why do you get "Series" and I get "Season".

I want "Season", so don't want anything changed that would be detrimental to my set up, but something is wrong somewhere.

paulsalter

Thats what i cant work out, for me it's 100% every new season i add gets called Series X, I prefer to have it as its named in my folder structure (which is Season XX)

If I change my region to US, I get the term Season, but i only get a single digit for the number, Season 1 instead of Season 01

I think this is the same thing the OP is reporting, it used to use his naming for Seasons based upon folder names, but is now just getting a generic Season X

The problem is Emby is not respecting the folder name as defined on the file system. 

This is the major issue, and I don't believe this major change was ever communicated properly or thoroughly tested.

Nor does there seem to be anyway to disable this change.

There is virtually nowhere in our system where we prefer to show the raw file-system name in the UI because that is not what our system is designed to do.

I understand you feel this change was some sort of radical departure but, in reality, it is a move towards more consistency.  Raw file system names can have all sorts of information in them that we don't want to show in the UI so we use metadata instead.  That is kind of the whole point of the browsing interface of Emby as, if all you wanted was a straight raw view of your file system, you could use any file explorer you wish.  

I understand why the change was made, I don't understand why it was not communicated properly that such a major change was coming?  

I also don't understand why this change now only effects new folders going forward?  What are we supposed to do with all our existing folders?  Do you honestly expect us to manually rename hundreds of folders?  Or have to edit the metadata for hundreds of folders?

Why wasn't this change incorporated into one of the scheduled tasks so all the old folders could have the metadata updated?

As it is right now its a mess as you have old folders displaying how they used to based on file system, and new folders ignoring the file system.

There is virtually nowhere in our system where we prefer to show the raw file-system name in the UI because that is not what our system is designed to do.

I understand you feel this change was some sort of radical departure but, in reality, it is a move towards more consistency.  Raw file system names can have all sorts of information in them that we don't want to show in the UI so we use metadata instead.  That is kind of the whole point of the browsing interface of Emby as, if all you wanted was a straight raw view of your file system, you could use any file explorer you wish.  

CBers

OK, but why does Emby do this?

So the question is, why do you get "Series" and I get "Season".

I want "Season", so don't want anything changed that would be detrimental to my set up, but something is wrong somewhere.

Why does Emby create Series for one person, but Season for another person?

Seems inconsistent.

Happy2Play

OK, but why does Emby do this?

Why does Emby create Series for one person, but Season for another person?

Seems inconsistent.

Seasons from TMDB can make that happen also.

Top Gear all seasons are titled Series.

59dff06dcaa34_provider.jpg

It would be nice if we got an official explanation as to what changed and how it changed?  

So that we can understand where this season/series data is coming from and have the option to change it to suit our needs.

Edited by dcook

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem as described in this thread.

Always named my season folders by a special convention and now every new season I add is just called 'season 1', 'season 2' and so on.

What are the plans for this in the next releases? Will this stay like this or will you revert back to actually look for folder names?

I think there could at least be an option or something because a lot of people actually are using their own naming conventions which should be supported.

• 6 months later...
djhifi

Yes I think such an option would be reasonable, thanks.

Do you have any new feedback on this? I never returned here but everything is the same...I eventually I got used to having 400 shows with the old (and preferred in my case) folder name and new seasons just displaying season and number.

Not yet. I think this is something where the current behavior is what people will want most of the time anyway and i think that's probably why this hasn't been a big issue.

djhifi

Not yet. I think this is something where the current behavior is what people will want most of the time anyway and i think that's probably why this hasn't been a big issue.

So for the record, having the following folder structure won't affect correct scrapping server-side altough it will display just as "Season #" "Season ##" , etc:

TV Show Name > TV Show Name Season 1 (2018) > TV Show Name S01E01 (2018)

But, for future reference, changing "TV Show Name Season 1 (2018)" for "TV Show Name Season 1" would be the correct wording despite the scrapper grabbing both structures or should we remove the year from the Season parent folder?

What about episodes? Should they keep the year per thetvdb or is it irrelevant?

Given the fact that I've rebuild my database I'm at least getting everything correctly displaying in the Server altough I haven't changed my actual folder structure.

But would like to clarify what's above for future additions to my collection file structure regarding TV Shows.

I'm asking this because I've had to manually set the metadata for some shows (12 Monkeys, for instance) where it was only showing one big season (naming it Season 12, wtf) in the server and I had to manually set "season 1" and "2", etc and then save and refresh browser and repeat for every single Season that was stacked up in that big pile.

Edited by djhifi

that should be ok, but the more simple you keep things, they more they will just work. that's why we suggest a plain "Season 1".

djhifi

that should be ok, but the more simple you keep things, they more they will just work. that's why we suggest a plain "Season 1".

Well...being a long time Emby user we both know that wasn't the way things were in the past. I will try and batch rename all my previous seasons, removing their years. Need to google if such thing is a possibility. Still feel sorry that you went this way retroactively without providing an option in the scraper..

PS: Regarding the error I've had in 12 Monkeys, it's the first time you're hearing it?

Edited by djhifi

We have always suggested using season folders named "Season 1". that has never changed.

djhifi

We have always suggested using season folders named "Season 1". that has never changed.

Ok, fair enough. But you know what I mean, that's the whole reason I opened this thread. Thanks for the info though.

To answer the other questions about file and folder naming, I would compare what you're doing to our TV Naming wiki. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.