Emby server no longer filling tv show season year?

djhifi

djhifi

OK so I have been searching for this altough it's a little harder to pinpoint a problem and search for it, so I decided to post a topic with the question, its simpler:

Suddenly emby server (and consequently also emby for kodi addon) are no longer displaying the year from new seasons from tv shows in the dashboard (see print screen).

ikCyRRY.jpg

Is this something that has changed on purpose, some setting im missing? I am doing everything like I always did in my folder structure...and it really annoys me.

We never did that. We display the season name text there. The season name can be anything you want. If you want it to have a year, then just edit it.

We never did that. We display the season name text there. The season name can be anything you want. If you want it to have a year, then just edit it.

What does that answer mean? I am doing what you say lol...thats the whole problem! I think you didn't fully understand:

As I mentioned, I have ALWAYS mantained the same folder structure (meaning: I ALWAYS edit a season folder like that, "season / season number / (year) ) that is why I asked what is going on because on the print screen I provided, that season 1 has the year showing up and season 2 has not, but both have the same folder structure in my NAS.

This has started since some update of the server took place, because prior to that everything was working.

PS: This is only 1 example in my collection. EVERY NEW SEASON I ADD TO WHATEVER SHOW is starting to show the same "problem". See examples:

IbLxIjk.jpg

Before Septemeber everything was OK. I don't know which server upgrade messed things up. But it is messed up atm.

Edited by djhifi

We no longer use the folder name as the season name. This allows us to better handle users with mish mash folder structures.

@@Luke you can see why he would be frustrated, in your 1st response you told him that you display the season name and it can be what he wanted.  He said he changed nothing and some of his seasons are not showing the years.

Then you post later saying that you did change something and no longer use the folder name when displaying the season text.

Instead of being so quick always to tell the user he is wrong, it would be nice if you would look at the issue and respond in a more customer friendly way.

Clearly something changed, and its now effected his viewing experience, he was asked what changed and you told him "We never did that. We display the season name text there. The season name can be anything you want. If you want it to have a year, then just edit it."

Which is obviously not true, since he has the season names as he wants already on his NAS

• Like 1

We no longer use the folder name as the season name. This allows us to better handle users with mish mash folder structures.

So I was right...something DID change despite your first answer... -.-

So I no longer need to add season year on my folder structure?

And why are those changes not retroactive? I mean the previous seasons are still with the year.

PS: Such a shame you went this route...I like seeing the season year and never had any trouble with it.

Can't you include an option on upcoming updates, to turn on or off this feature on the library scans? Its really useful for me being able to see season years, thats why I include it on all my 500 TV Shows...

Edited by djhifi

@@Luke when was this change made?  Was it announced as change? 

Seems like a big change that you are now not using the existing folder name for the season anymore that it should have been communicated?

You never needed to add it before. Season 1 was always enough.

Sorry but with all due respect are you joking with me again? You are not taking me seriously. Check your first answer...you were wrong (i am baffled why would you as an adming mislead users) and now you are being the same again. I know that..I am asking if you cant add an option to turn this on or off. Its really annoying this way. I did not see an announcement about this and for me makes a difference. And I think to others to, people are already coming here to write down the same I am.

I am making print screens and having alot of respect talking to you and you answer in 1 short line and mislead....

I am not making a critic but I really don't like this enforcement server side and your attiude as well...

Edited by djhifi

@@Luke you can see why he would be frustrated, in your 1st response you told him that you display the season name and it can be what he wanted.  He said he changed nothing and some of his seasons are not showing the years.

Then you post later saying that you did change something and no longer use the folder name when displaying the season text.

Instead of being so quick always to tell the user he is wrong, it would be nice if you would look at the issue and respond in a more customer friendly way.

Clearly something changed, and its now effected his viewing experience, he was asked what changed and you told him "We never did that. We display the season name text there. The season name can be anything you want. If you want it to have a year, then just edit it."

Which is obviously not true, since he has the season names as he wants already on his NAS

Exactly. And now he did it again on his last answer...it simply baffles me...

They didnt announce this change, and he didnt even recognized it in the first answer...unexplicably. And now he continues to not answer the question and we are in a blank space. They enforced this option...

Edited by djhifi

It can be what you want, because you can always edit the title after it has initially been scanned in. That's what I meant there.

@@Luke when was this change made?  Was it announced as change? 

Seems like a big change that you are now not using the existing folder name for the season anymore that it should have been communicated?

someone that actually understands...

It can be what you want, because you can always edit the title after it has initially been scanned in. That's what I meant there.

No you did not. Check your first answer...

"We never did that. We display the season name text there. The season name can be anything you want. If you want it to have a year, then just edit it."

vs 

"We no longer use the folder name as the season name. This allows us to better handle users with mish mash folder structures."

Not only wasn't this even announced as well as your first answer is just baffling...

And you contine to ignore the question: Can you re-add this feature as an option on the library scan settings please?

EDIT: Sorry double posting

Edited by djhifi

No you did not. Check your first answer...

"We never did that. We display the season name text there. The season name can be anything you want. If you want it to have a year, then just edit it."

vs 

"We no longer use the folder name as the season name. This allows us to better handle users with mish mash folder structures."

Not only wasn't this even announced as well as your first answer is just baffling...

You asked if we took the year out. We never were doing anything with the year in the season title so my response was correct.

The folder name wasn't indicated until post #3. If i had that information in the first post, then my response in post #2 would have been more detailed.

Happy2Play

@@Luke I looked at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases and went back as far as July and I see nothing in the release notes about this change in how the Season name is displayed.

Did you see this?

Set user friendly season name

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/releases/tag/3.2.29

You asked if we took the year out. We never were doing anything with the year in the season title so my response was correct.

The folder name wasn't indicated until post #3. If i had that information in the first post, then my response in post #2 would have been more detailed.

I really don't know what information more besides the included print screen and my text explanation was needed for you to understand the problem. I actually mentioned the YEAR not showing. And the answer # is the same print screen, except more detailed text but the essential is repeated. And @@dcook seems to have quickly understood the point....But ok its always users fault, one way or the other.

You are going via the semantics way lol...the problem is the same on either post. 

Can you just answer please? Can this be re-added into upcoming upgrades? At least as a "turn off/on" option?

Edited by djhifi

@@Luke you are playing semantics now

Clearly you made a change because if Emby previously displayed whatever the Season folder name was and then you change it to make it display just "Season 1" text you obviously made this change and it obviously removed the year.

I never noticed this change yet on my system, but I am equally upset that you are making this changes which effect how we use the system and how we want to display our media data.  I have the year listed for a lot of my shows as well and it is very useful for it to be displayed next to the season number.

So why don't you just be honest and tell us exactly what changed and when?

Like I said I went back to July in the release notes and I don't see anything listed about the Season folder name

Its very very common with Emby for @@Luke and @@ebr to make changes to suit their personal preferences and we as Emby Server Admins have no choice or ability to disable them.  Sometimes after enough complaints they make an option, but often times not.  Its almost that they think they just making Emby server for their own personal use and not caring about users who are using Emby especially the ones paying for premiere.

User Preferences were taken away for months

Color Cards were added overnight with no way to disable them initially

Up Next Overlay

Collections support broken

Etc, etc

And then when you asked why something that used to work no longer works, you usually get response such as the one in this one that we change nothing and its your fault.

Maybe I should make a wiki that keeps track of all the changes they are making that we can't turn off or disable?

Welcome to Emby

Thing is...its not user friendly at all not being able to see season year. I dont really know what would make you enforce this without even considering adding as an option at the very least...

Edited by dcook