Allowing live streaming of 3D in 2D

iamneo

iamneo

Of course I have...

It does not prompt you for anything, it just plays the 3d video.  Which is useless when playing on my phone with the 2 pictures side by side or top and bottom with some other 3d videos.  It does show that the movie is 3d before playing it.  While the movie is playing, there is no options available to select a 2D image.  You can change quality of the stream, subtitles, etc...

Is there a setting I am missing?  Something I need to install on the server perhaps?  Emby is current on the server.  The emby app is current on the phone.

thanks...

Stan...

Ok thanks. I think we just still have work to do there to transcode it to 2D.

• 1 year later...
iamneo

It has been a few years since I started this discussion.  I have noticed with Certain 3D movies that they automatically convert to 2D before being displayed.  I have not been able to figure out why this only works with certain 3D movies.

It will convert to 2D in the windows Edge browser

It will render in 3D in the Chrome browser

It will convert to 2D in the Windows Emby app

This poses an issue as I used the windows emby app on the PC connected to my 3D TV.  So if I want to watch 3D on certain 3D movies I have to use a different app.

Is there any way to place an option on the server to disable this feature?

thanks for all the hard work you do...

Stan...

It has been a few years since I started this discussion.  I have noticed with Certain 3D movies that they automatically convert to 2D before being displayed.  I have not been able to figure out why this only works with certain 3D movies.

It will convert to 2D in the windows Edge browser

It will render in 3D in the Chrome browser

It will convert to 2D in the Windows Emby app

This poses an issue as I used the windows emby app on the PC connected to my 3D TV.  So if I want to watch 3D on certain 3D movies I have to use a different app.

Is there any way to place an option on the server to disable this feature?

thanks for all the hard work you do...

Stan...

@@iamneo

There isn't any special handling of this nature. My guess is that it's probably tied to whether or not one is direct playing or transcoding. If we can look at some examples then I can provide more detail. thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I just discovered that the 3d to 2d transcoding works seamlessly.  I guess the issue I had, was that I assumed that you were using the file labels on the MKV container files to determine whether the movie was 3D or not.  example:  3D.HTAB or 3D.HSBS

I had discovered that it was going on the video properties(image attached) using the stereoscopy settings within the header of the MKV file.

I had discovered this by accident when one of my files played in 2D, when I was sure it was a 3D file.  Checking the headers, I had discovered that this one file had the Stereoscopy settings below.  a value of 1 is for hsbs, a value of 3 is for htab.

If you set this property correctly in your 3D files, it will render in 2D automatically using Microsoft Edge, windows Emby app.   Irregardless if they are on the home network or not.  Which pretty much was what I was looking for.  Thanks for that.

However it will still play in the 3D format using chrome, or the android Emby app.  Again irregardless if you are on the home network or not.

Is there a way to turn off this the 3D to 2D rendering, outside of editing the headers and removing the STEREOSCOPY setting.

Thanks again for make EMBY so great...

Stan...

5d6c4d3b272a8_3dsettings.jpg

Hey guys,

I just discovered that the 3d to 2d transcoding works seamlessly.  I guess the issue I had, was that I assumed that you were using the file labels on the MKV container files to determine whether the movie was 3D or not.  example:  3D.HTAB or 3D.HSBS

I had discovered that it was going on the video properties(image attached) using the stereoscopy settings within the header of the MKV file.

I had discovered this by accident when one of my files played in 2D, when I was sure it was a 3D file.  Checking the headers, I had discovered that this one file had the Stereoscopy settings below.  a value of 1 is for hsbs, a value of 3 is for htab.

If you set this property correctly in your 3D files, it will render in 2D automatically using Microsoft Edge, windows Emby app.   Irregardless if they are on the home network or not.  Which pretty much was what I was looking for.  Thanks for that.

However it will still play in the 3D format using chrome, or the android Emby app.  Again irregardless if you are on the home network or not.

Is there a way to turn off this the 3D to 2D rendering, outside of editing the headers and removing the STEREOSCOPY setting.

Thanks again for make EMBY so great...

Stan...

5d6c4d3b272a8_3dsettings.jpg

Can we look at an example? Because currently we are not doing a whole lot ourselves for the 3D to 2D conversion. What you're experiencing is probably happening automatically at some level of the process.

Can we look at an example? Because currently we are not doing a whole lot ourselves for the 3D to 2D conversion. What you're experiencing is probably happening automatically at some level of the process.

How would I provide you a sample?    Would you want a snipit of one of the 3D videos?

thanks...

Stan...

Oh ok... sorry my bad...

If the 3d movie has the setting in the header, like I mentioned before.  In the windows emby app it will render the video in 2D, rather than the 3D double image.  In windows microsoft Edge, it will again automatically render the 3d Video in 2D.    Within chrome and IE it will render the video in the normal 3D.

If I delete the MKV settings in the header, for example remove the stereoscopy setting, it will then render the video in 3D.  

It seems to happen automatically, when the stereoscopy settings are set correctly, when played with Edge browser and the windows emby app.

thanks...

Stan...

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, thanks for the info. In the coming months we'll be doing more thorough testing of our 3d to 2d streaming and see what needs adjustment where. 

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig this up.

I would also be interested in this feature.

As for usecase discussion:

Most of my movie library is 2D, with a few exceptions were I have a 3D SBS or TAB
> Naming should already be appropiate: "Title (2012) [1080p] [3D]\movie.3d.hsbs.mkv"

Most of the time I would also want to watch them in 2D as well to not have to have the movie in different versions.
E.g.
- Home Cinema (FireTV): either watch in 3D or 2D (depending on who and how many people are watching.)
- Mobile (Android): Only 2D makes sense for me
- PC (Browser/EmbyApp): usually watching in 2D, but with a virtual reality Headset also 3D becomes a viable option.

8 hours ago, n00b42 said:

Sorry to dig this up.

I would also be interested in this feature.

As for usecase discussion:

Most of my movie library is 2D, with a few exceptions were I have a 3D SBS or TAB
> Naming should already be appropiate: "Title (2012) [1080p] [3D]\movie.3d.hsbs.mkv"

Most of the time I would also want to watch them in 2D as well to not have to have the movie in different versions.
E.g.
- Home Cinema (FireTV): either watch in 3D or 2D (depending on who and how many people are watching.)
- Mobile (Android): Only 2D makes sense for me
- PC (Browser/EmbyApp): usually watching in 2D, but with a virtual reality Headset also 3D becomes a viable option.

HI, yes we plan to improve 3D to 2D transcoding in future updates. Thanks for the feedback.

• 1 year later...

Really need this feature to play 3D movies in 2D. It has been 1 1/2 years now, I'm still not able to view 3D in 2D. You only need instruct it play the left side image/video stream.

Thanks

Mahu