Allowing live streaming of 3D in 2D

iamneo

I have looked and could not find any way to play a 3D movie in 2D format.

I have attached an image of Kodi, using the emby app in smb mode that allows choosing to play a 3D movie in 2D.

From what I know is that it plays half of the video picture and stretches it to fit full screen to get the 2D.

Is there a feature or plans to make a feature to do this?  I would love to see this happen when connecting to emby using the web interface.  That it would allow to play 3D movies in 2D?

thanks..

Stan...

post-202824-0-73984100-1506916244_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Vidman

I requested an option to play 3d sbs and ou movies as 2d years ago, back when it was more popular, I think the chances of it happening now are very slim

ATM all apps (except Kodi) play the full frame so both left and right frames are squashed onto the screen at once

Edited by Vidman

@@Vidman, emby theater as a video stereo mode setting to accommodate 3d.

but for apps that require transcoding we have not looked at this yet.

I can play a 3D movie in 2D, only if I have Kodi and am on my home network.  I believe Emby allows kodi to directly access the movie via SMB, which allows it to access the file directly and thus the conversion to 2D.

It would be cool if you guys would have a way to do this within Emby itself.  The number of 3D movies I have is increasing, it would be awesome if I could watch these movies in 2D when I am on the road and I don't have a 3D tv or display available.

The reason I posted the screen shot of Kodi performing the conversion, is that I was thinking if you guys could borrow the technique used by Kodi to do this.

You could prompt the user by prompting, "This movie is in 3D, would you like to watch in 2D?"  or something to that affect.

thanks for a very awesome emby...!

Stan...

Well for something like that web app that can't play in 3D, there would be no need to ask the question since you will always be playing in 2d anyway.

The web app plays the video fine in 3D...

3D tvs just need the picture played SBS(side by side), or TAB(top and bottom), which the video is already!

What kodi does is only display half the picture and forces it to full screen.  For SBS it dispays half of the image(left half I believe) or for TAB(top half) and forces the image to full screen which essentially plays the video 2D...

Emby essentially has to do nothing to display the image for 3D devices, it only has to display the whole image which is then translated by the device to the actual 3D..

I have used 3D in the web interface with absolutely no issues.  

My request is to have emby do what Kodi does and display a 2D image.

thanks...

Stan...

Since there is some confusion about the 3d formats... I have included screen shots

This is a SBS 3D movie

59d2711fddd24_sbs.jpg

This is a TAB 3D movie

59d2714b698b4_tab.jpg

thanks 

Stan...

Waldonnis

I've used the stereo3d filter before.  It works quite nicely and is pretty easy to use, so...+1  B)

*sneaks in a fun suggestion for anaglyph viewing of SBS/TAB/FS 3D as well since stereo3d filtering supports it*

What can I say...I want to recapture that old drive-in monster movie experience every so often, especially since I'm a fan of cheesy monster films.  If i had a yard, I'd set up one of those big inflatable projection screens and host drive-in-movie-style parties more often than my neighbours would probably approve of  :lol:

Waldonnis

@@Waldonnis if you can give me a sample command line i'll look at incorporating it. thanks.

This link gives a bunch of good examples along with what the results would be.  I'd expect it would probably need some client-side changes as well, since there are so many anaglyph schemes out there, but some of them are very rarely used (read: most people don't have glasses for those types).  If support extended beyond anaglyph, it would allow people to transcode to whatever scheme their device/monitor supports if the source file isn't in that format (some projectors have specific requirements).

I consider it more of a "wishlist" item, personally, and have just been manually transcoding my 3D files to my anaglyph method of choice in the meantime when the mood hits me to watch them like that.  I don't have a 3D monitor, so this is the best I can do and it can make for a fun movie night (if you can set aside the colour butchering that comes with anaglyph)  ^_^   And anyone trying that idea out gets bonus points for repurposing some Bluetooth or small wired speakers to act as the old window hangers...because bad, tinny, mono sound rounds out the experience.

Regarding the OP's feature request, the stereo3d filter would definitely address it.  -vf stereo3d=sbs2l:ml would probably do it for left-eye->left-side (non-crosseye) HSBS content.  It's easy enough to adapt the in/out expression for HTAB/FTAB/FSBS as well.  MVC shouldn't require any of that since it should just present the first-eye stream by default...and the MVC stream isn't supported by ffmpeg last I checked anyway.

jhoff80

MVC shouldn't require any of that since it should just present the first-eye stream by default...and the MVC stream isn't supported by ffmpeg last I checked anyway.

I can confirm that using MVC content will transcode in 2D all the time, and in the appropriate local player (a special build of Kodi or LAVfilters with madVR) will play in 3D there as well.

• 1 month later...
Hicks111

Not sure if this should go to a new thread or not. My issue is with playing certain 3D mkv files on Emby for Xbox One and on the Windows 10 Emby Theatre client as well.  Some of these play full screen instead of SBS or Top and Bottom.  If I play the same files on Emby for Roku or play them direct with VLC they will display SBS or Top and Bottom properly.

I was playing around and couldn't see what was different about these files compared so other 3d files that do play on Emby for Xbox One and Windows 10 properly.  After playing around with the setting on the Emby Theatre client for Windows I saw the setting under Video called "3D Conversion Mode: which was set to "Auto".  When I changed this to the "None" option I was now able to play all these problem 3d files fine with Emby Theatre for Windows!! 

I went to the Xbox One Emby client which is what I use the most to change the setting there but I could not find any settings on the Xbox one Emby client for Video or a 3d Conversion Mode setting that I could set to "None".  Is there another area I can change this setting on the Xbox One client?   This setting fixed my issue on the Emby Theatre client for Windows but not for Emby for Xbox One.

Waldonnis

Not sure if this should go to a new thread or not. My issue is with playing certain 3D mkv files on Emby for Xbox One and on the Windows 10 Emby Theatre client as well.  Some of these play full screen instead of SBS or Top and Bottom.  If I play the same files on Emby for Roku or play them direct with VLC they will display SBS or Top and Bottom properly.

I was playing around and couldn't see what was different about these files compared so other 3d files that do play on Emby for Xbox One and Windows 10 properly.  After playing around with the setting on the Emby Theatre client for Windows I saw the setting under Video called "3D Conversion Mode: which was set to "Auto".  When I changed this to the "None" option I was now able to play all these problem 3d files fine with Emby Theatre for Windows!! 

I went to the Xbox One Emby client which is what I use the most to change the setting there but I could not find any settings on the Xbox one Emby client for Video or a 3d Conversion Mode setting that I could set to "None".  Is there another area I can change this setting on the Xbox One client?   This setting fixed my issue on the Emby Theatre client for Windows but not for Emby for Xbox One.

There was an issue at one point with either MakeMKV or MKVToolnix not setting a property correctly in Matroska files they generated (think it was the StereoMode property, but I don't recall exactly where the problem was or what the property was).  This caused some clients and televisions to not detect that it was a 3D file and wouldn't auto-switch to the appropriate mode.  May want to search for info on that and double-check the problem files to see if you got bitten by this.  Should be easy to correct if so.

Hicks111

I have never had my TV or Projector auto detect it was a 3D movie when playing from a 3D MKV.  I would just play it and then set the TV or Projector the correct SBS or Top and Bottom setting and it worked well.  I confirmed that if I turn off the 3D Conversion Mode in Emby it will play the problems files I had properly but I just don't know how to change this setting in the xBox One Emby client.   It also plays fine with the Roku Emby Client and the IOS Emby client so it seems to just be a problem with the Xbox One client.

• 3 months later...
iamneo

Just curious if there has been any movement on this, or if its doable...

I had come across an article on using "Media Player Classic" to accomplish what I had requested

https://play3d-2d.blogspot.ca/2014/02/3d-sdb-to-2d-movie-in-media-player.html

Again I appreciate Emby, awesome product...

thanks...

Stan...

It's doable. There hasn't been any development on it yet from the standpoint of transcoding. When direct playing many of the apps will already be able to do this. Thanks.

• 3 months later...
iamneo

I have been able to get kodi to work with the conversion of the 3D to 2D.  However it only works within my home network.  Do you know of any other apps that will work with Emby and allow the transcoding to 2D.

Or do you know of a way to configure Kodi to do this outside the home network.

thanks...

Stan...

iamneo

I have the Emby Mobile app on my phone.  I did not know it could render a 3D movie in 2D.  I have not found any settings on the mobile app to accomplish this.  Can you let me know how this is accomplished as this would be the perfect solution.

thanks...

Stan...