Server GPU acceleration or CPU processing?

Guest asrequested

PenkethBoy

I would look at memory speed - Ryzen chips benefits a lot from fast memory to increase performance circa 3200

as they are essentially the same under the hood i would expect TR to see the same benefit

Accept they are more money but something to factor in even if you do it later

Guest asrequested

Yeah, that was the plan. Upgrade, later. Right now, I'll just match what I already have. I'm trying not to have to sell one of my switches, but I may get impatient lol

PenkethBoy

:lol: @ - just to make you life more difficult - intel are releasing new CPU's this thursday 

so a load of new benchmarks will be out at the end of the week

:lol:  :lol:

Guest asrequested

:lol: @ - just to make you life more difficult - intel are releasing new CPU's this thursday

so a load of new benchmarks will be out at the end of the week

:lol::lol:

Awww man! Are they advancements on the skylake-x and kabylake-x?

I've just bought an e3-1245v2 from eBay for a 100€ and hope that it will be strong enough for transcoding up to 4 streams over the CPU. My i3 3225 wasn't potent enough for that. Can't wait to test that out!

Guest asrequested

I was just looking at the whole core x line. The 7820 would still be my choice, based on budget. They get very expensive after that.

PenkethBoy

yeah Intel dont do anything budget  :)

its interesting that they are still maintaining high prices with Ryzen and TR out now - i guess they are hoping people will still pay a premium for single thread speed and clock speed being higher - as their market share shrinks things might get interesting

Also as optimisations in software make their way through the for AMD things will close up some more as well as software being re written to take advantage of a lot more cores.

Time will tell

Guest asrequested

Yeah, the TRs still aren't cheap. The 7820X is $200 less. But the master software for the TR is what's tipping the scale, for me. That I can choose how the CPU functions, totally plays into my control freakiness lol. It's gonna suck a lot of power, though. When idle it still pulls something like 85 watts.

Guest plexman

@ I did a stress test involving VAAPI transcoding: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49038-vaapi-stress-test-skylake-i5-6600-intel-hd-530/

GPU transcoding is not perfect, quality is one of the aspects. All my content is x264/aac/mp4 so unless bitrate is too high for the device or the conection, it's never transcoded in real time. And as live transcoding is not usual in my server, I don't mind losing a little bit of quality when sometimes I need to (with GPU transcoding).

Guest asrequested

Most of my transcoding happens when I record TV shows. GPU encoding isn't implemented for that. The CPU is handling it but doesn't really allow for much more. And I always want room for more. And in the in the interest of full disclosure. I just want new stuff lol.

Guest asrequested

I would look at memory speed - Ryzen chips benefits a lot from fast memory to increase performance circa 3200

as they are essentially the same under the hood i would expect TR to see the same benefit

Accept they are more money but something to factor in even if you do it later

Check this out. AMD are saying max system memory speed is 2667Mhz

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-1920x

59d47ce68b118_Snapshot_248.jpg

Jennice

Im surprised after looking at this:

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/amd-ryzen-7-1700-review/3/

I thought the Ryzen would shine compared to i7-7700 !?

Please look at the PC Mark 8 Video editing, which claims to use FFMpeg, just like Emby.

Even the i7-6900k is slower than i7-7700... or the test (bild of FFmpeg) does not utilize the increased number of cores/threads.

Something is strange here...!? Any comments, possibly from Ryzen users?

Waldonnis

Im surprised after looking at this:

https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/amd-ryzen-7-1700-review/3/

I thought the Ryzen would shine compared to i7-7700 !?

Please look at the PC Mark 8 Video editing, which claims to use FFMpeg, just like Emby.

Even the i7-6900k is slower than i7-7700... or the test (bild of FFmpeg) does not utilize the increased number of cores/threads.

Something is strange here...!? Any comments, possibly from Ryzen users?

Some of what appears strange is explained on the last page of the review and at the top of that page.  I read the review before and nothing in it surprised me (they were reviewing the low-TDP 1700, after all), but I did walk away with some questions about their test procedures that made me question if any of the processors tested were given a fair shake on the video side.  Not leveraging the added core count of Ryzen by using synthetics that capped out at two threads just made me scratch my head as to why they even bothered running the tests (results should've been obvious without even running the test;the IPC difference alone made it entirely predictable).  Also, they give precious little info on their Handbrake test, but then again, few review sites actually know anything or really care about video encoding...and it shows in their choice and description of their testing methods.  It's more just a vague bullet point in reviews now, with the gaming tests receiving 99% the attention (and effort/care) anyway.

Jennice

My budget was for the 1700 or 1700x, which here in Denmark is priced close to the respective i7-7700 chip.

I was wondering why the 1700 scored so relatively poor in those tests... if they're not using the potential of the 1700, or if the i7-7700 uses QuickSync (which would blur the picture of FFMpeg transcoding math capabilities).

If the 1700 isn't fully utilized in Handbrake / FFMpeg, why would it be in Emby's FFMpeg scenario?

It'll be interesting to see if anyone has recent Emby experience with AMD chip (1700/1800 style).

Also, Intel's i7-8700 is due out this week (according to some sources). It's 6 cores will close the gap to AMD in ffmpeg (if any, depending on real life CPU utilization of FFMpeg)

i7-8700k is expected to be priced similar to the current i7-7700k. It'll be intereting to see if it changes AMD prices.

Waldonnis

My budget was for the 1700 or 1700x, which here in Denmark is priced close to the respective i7-7700 chip.

I was wondering why the 1700 scored so relatively poor in those tests... if they're not using the potential of the 1700, or if the i7-7700 uses QuickSync (which would blur the picture of FFMpeg transcoding math capabilities).

If the 1700 isn't fully utilized in Handbrake / FFMpeg, why would it be in Emby's FFMpeg scenario?

It'll be interesting to see if anyone has recent Emby experience with AMD chip (1700/1800 style).

Also, Intel's i7-8700 is due out this week (according to some sources). It's 6 cores will close the gap to AMD in ffmpeg (if any, depending on real life CPU utilization of FFMpeg)

i7-8700k is expected to be priced similar to the current i7-7700k. It'll be intereting to see if it changes AMD prices.

Your questions come from the same place mine do: their tests in that review have a ton of caveats and are light on details about their testing methods, so it's hard to draw any conclusions from the results.  Handbrake can use QuickSync hardware decoding, which would definitely help KL (and maybe SL if their unspecified file was HEVC Main rather than Main10) pull ahead on any HEVC en/decode scenario, but they don't specify if that is set in their Handbrake preferences...so who knows what they did.  We also don't know if their test file was 2160p60 or 2160p30...or whether they were transcoding to HEVC or h.264, the latter being much easier to encode.  If they had posted a screenshot of the Video tab, it would've answered a lot of questions (the Audio tab would've been nice too, to see if there was an audio track being transcoded as well).  Also, I have no clue why they downscaled when all it would do was make the encode side of the test easier on any processor (lower resolution=lower bitrate=faster transcoding).  Maybe they didn't want to wait for a 2160p->2160p transcode or just took the easy way out and just picked a preset that the average person would use in their estimation *shrug*  HEVC would've been a better benchmark, in my opinion, but they may have had limited time with the review sample that prevented further or longer testing...or they just didn't know what a good test would be, which is far more likely with tech press/blogs.

You may just have to scour for more complete reviews, although finding solid reviews on the 1700 doesn't seem to be easy in my light browsing.  I'm curious to see Intel's release as well.  They're saying this release is not them "answering" Ryzen, but considering how they're suddenly releasing a bunch of SKUs with higher core counts (and quickly) after years of the same 4- and 8-core i5/i7 releases, I don't fully believe them  :P

Guest asrequested

You're not making yourself known for your modesty, either ! *LOL*

lol....What can I say? I love me sum new tech! :D

Guest asrequested

Yay! Amazon lost the other half of my Threadripper build :/

What a day! Large chunks of my area have been destroyed by fire and now my stuff has gone, too :(

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

does this mean you are going to end up being a Thread Ripper salesman like you are for your switches - with extra kit in stock  :P  :D

Guest asrequested

does this mean you are going to end up being a Thread Ripper salesman like you are for your switches - with extra kit in stock :P:D

Lol... Well, the mobo and CPU arrived as expected, BUT... I just got a notification that the rest just got delivered, and Amazon has already put my refund in motion. I haven't actually got either, yet.

Waldonnis

Yay! Amazon lost the other half of my Threadripper build :/

What a day! Large chunks of my area have been destroyed by fire and now my stuff has gone, too :(

Argh, I know the feeling and can sympathise.  My area was hit by Irma when it was still a category 3 and it will probably take a year or more for most of the heaviest-hit around here to rebuild/repair.  The condo where I live is still in the damage assessment phase and some of the units were blown completely out or have bad water damage.  I'm lucky to have had some good hurricane shutters and reinforced windows, so my unit was barely affected (helps that I'm on the top floor), but others weren't so lucky.  This wasn't my first rodeo, though, having worked fire/rescue in the worst-hit areas after Andrew decades ago (which was awful and falls in that "can't be unseen" category of things I'll never be able to forget).  I also lived in Colorado when some wildfires threatened our town and burned some of the outskirts back in the 80s...not fun.  It was morbidly entrancing to see entire sides of mountains on fire, though.

Hopefully the fires will spare you...and your new build, when it all finally arrives  :)

Guest asrequested

Argh, I know the feeling and can sympathise.  My area was hit by Irma when it was still a category 3 and it will probably take a year or more for most of the heaviest-hit around here to rebuild/repair.  The condo where I live is still in the damage assessment phase and some of the units were blown completely out or have bad water damage.  I'm lucky to have had some good hurricane shutters and reinforced windows, so my unit was barely affected (helps that I'm on the top floor), but others weren't so lucky.  This wasn't my first rodeo, though, having worked fire/rescue in the worst-hit areas after Andrew decades ago (which was awful and falls in that "can't be unseen" category of things I'll never be able to forget).  I also lived in Colorado when some wildfires threatened our town and burned some of the outskirts back in the 80s...not fun.  It was morbidly entrancing to see entire sides of mountains on fire, though.

Hopefully the fires will spare you...and your new build, when it all finally arrives  :)

My city is fortunate. The fire didn't make it to us. This thing has destroyed entire neighborhoods, hospitals, businesses.... It rained ash all day, yesterday :(

But there is a little good news. The rest of my stuff showed up :)

I'm planning the build for this weekend. I'll try to make a build log and post some basic testing. 

Waldonnis

My city is fortunate. The fire didn't make it to us. This thing has destroyed entire neighborhoods, hospitals, businesses.... It rained ash all day, yesterday :(

But there is a little good news. The rest of my stuff showed up :)

I'm planning the build for this weekend. I'll try to make a build log and post some basic testing. 

That ash is awful and gets in EVERYTHING.  Glad to hear your city has been spared, considering how bad this round of wildfires has been in that area.

I'm looking forward to your test results with the new equipment.  I still have yet to go through the preliminary reviews on Intel's latest and am curious to see how TR compares, as well as seeing how it performs in an actual scenario that matters for folks like myself.