New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

tongchijun
AvengersFan

Did we just get spammed? I got like 20 emails about something or other!

Did we just get spammed? I got like 20 emails about something or other!

Yes I banned a spammer who created about 20 postings in this thread.

• Like 1

AvengersFan

Why they think people would help is beyond me. 

Loving Emby Luke! Best thing I have stumbled across, thanks to all for there hard work!

Cheers Mark  

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, Mick13 said:

Did try clean install on my QNAP TVS-672XT with error: the selected installation is missing.

fw#4.5.2

Have  mono installed

image.png.4e02de6a8b20d7d09719b3c11522ccd5.png

HI, what does the system event log say?

1 minute ago, Luke said:

HI, what does the event log say?

it says: [AppCentre] Failed to Install Emby Server. The selected installation is missing.

I know it is not helpful, but is is all I have.

33 minutes ago, Mick13 said:

it says: [AppCentre] Failed to Install Emby Server. The selected installation is missing.

I know it is not helpful, but is is all I have.

What version of QTS?

alucryd

Unfortunately Qnap pulled a d*ck move on everyone with this firmware, not only do they force you to remove unsigned software, even though they still don't properly support third party signatures, but they also introduced this bug, which may or may not be linked, but it happens whether the package is signed or not.

You can still install the latest stable and it should start, but you won't be able to interact with the service from the app center. My own experience seems to indicate their terrible check only applies to packages built after a certain date so the stable package isn't affected by the install bug, just the forced removal which you can ignore for now.

We've brought it up on their forums but we're happily being ignored for now.

Edited by alucryd

2 minutes ago, alucryd said:

Unfortunately Qnap pulled a d*ck move on everyone with this firmware, not only do they force you to remove unsigned software, even though they still don't properly support third party signatures, but they also introduced this bug, which may or may not be linked, but it happens whether the package is signed or not.

You can still install the latest stable and it should start, but you won't be able to interact with the service from the app center. My own experience seems to indicate their terrible check only applies to packages built after a certain date so the stable package isn't affected by the install bug, just the forced removal which you can ignore for now.

Disagree. you can use third party signatures, but you have to allow it. Also, I have installed apps from qnap-club with digital sign and everything works perfect. Assuming it is all about digital signature, because when I install back stable version it seems to be working unchanged. (did try remove stable, try install beta with fail and back to stable) It has the same behavior as I try to install an ARM version to my x64 Intel Qnap.

I found @Luke  post that new Qnap beta version of Emby is released with hope that it is digitally signed, which will solve "interacting with "App Centre" problem. I told as soon I help to solve my problem, then soon others will seize the fruits.

alucryd

There are several types of signatures, GPG and remote code signing on the Qnap servers using a certificate. GPG doesn't work, and it's been reported by others on the forums as well: https://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=150676

You'll also notice that the question on how to properly sign is still left unanswered, either in this post or in the very lacking documentation. I don't know how Qnap Club got around it but it can't be GPG, they're probably using the second method, and I'd very much like to know how they pulled it off given how the documentation doesn't even mention that one: http://download.qnap.com/dev/QDK_2.0.pdf

And yes, I literally just said the stable still works (albeit with a cool looking remove button an a warning sign), it's just the beta that has issues atm.

PenkethBoy
2 hours ago, alucryd said:

Forum is a waste of time as QNAP do not monitor it you need to open a support ticket to get them to even notice the issue

then publicise the ticket number then all the Emby qnap users can raise tickets and quote that reference

That usually gets them interested in doing something but it wont be quick and we may get other issues

@Luke - please note the above as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PenkethBoy said:

Forum is a waste of time as QNAP do not monitor it you need to open a support ticket to get them to even notice the issue

then publicise the ticket number then all the Emby qnap users can raise tickets and quote that reference

That usually gets them interested in doing something but it wont be quick and we may get other issues

@Luke - please note the above as well.

Sorry, I don't buy it. I had to disable digital sign checking a year ago, on Thursday midnight mu QNap get updated and we all know the story. 

However,  I contacted ppl on Qnap-club that I having an issue with their apps. I found one app signed on Friday and another one was signed on Sunday...

I am developing for android myself, driving crazy from rules, conditions, restrictions, APIs, updates, version... they are changing too often... I understand all that difficulties.

However, others using it, and it works...

image.png.d4854ff5e7ed65ef1b240ba50400bfba.pngimage.png.a927d276f93c42b439e72ff4732390fc.png

How big problem is having signed version available to download from Qnap Club repo to buy some time for different solution? 

Don't take it as an offense, I am just trying to help.

The digital sign is necessary to detect manipulation with package. From now, if such is found, because generated public key is not matching private key, the Qnap will refuse to install or run those packages.

Assuming no matter "how it will be signed". The important is a hash key.

Edited by Mick13

PenkethBoy

qnap-club is nothing to do with QNAP - so not relevant to the discussion in this thread.

its a fan site that has lots of extra packages QNAP wont have in their package library

SO to get QNAP to do something you have to raise a ticket then get people to pile on with their own tickets

alucryd

Qnap confirmed the latest firmware is bugged and they are working on a solution. They also said downgrading would help, but it didn't in my case, I'm still getting the installation volume issue on 4.4.3 and 4.4.2. Maybe some of you will have more luck.

Reverse engineering their build script I was able to sign using a self signed certificate, although even the build process now complains the signature is invalid, and since I can't install the resulting package I can't test it. At least with GPG the build process didn't complain, not supporting the only officially documented signature process sounds like a huge oversight to me.

Anyway let's hope they fix the installation issue soon so we can resume our lives.

PenkethBoy

in the past - it usually takes them approx a month to get a new firmware out - but i would be very cautious of the next one as well as they tend to rush things - 3-4 try usually works :)

2 minutes ago, Trufa2011 said:

TS-228A

Version de firmware 4.5.1.1461

Imposible instalar emby beta

Firma digital.jpg

Firma digital2.jpg

2 hours ago, Mick13 said:

It is strange, why stable version can be installed, reinstalled and beta fails to install? What is the difference?

Hi, please see the topic that I linked to. Thanks.

alucryd

Betas should be fine again, and no longer say that the selected volume is missing. This bug occurs when you self-sign the package, which isn't supported anyway so it's gone until Qnap properly supports third-party signatures. And before someone throws Qnap club at us again, they have been given special permissions and do not fall in the "third party" category.

• Like 1