New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

Download qpkg:

Please see our download page: https://emby.media/download

What is This?

This is a QNAP package that will be developed by the Emby team and after a brief testing period will be made available for download on our website. This is completely separate from the QNAP package that is available in the QNAP community, and thus will be a new installation.

Advantages over Current Package on QNAP Forums

• Built with .NET Core, which is smaller and faster than the mono runtime, with major performance improvements.
  • Everything is self contained, no more qmono or worrying about any other dependencies !
  • No more fumbling with the ffmpeg setup !
  • VAAPI hardware transcoding support included and tested by us !
  • Builds will always be immediately available after new Emby Server releases !

@@breezytm

@@AdrianW

@@PenkethBoy

• Like 4

PenkethBoy

Cool

Ok - installs fine on my TS-853A and server runs through the setup routine fine :)

However in the library setup I cant pick any directories where my media is.

Ah with a bit of checking the install has created a Emby User group and an Emby user - not sure this is necessary or wanted.

I assume that i will now have to grant access to the Emby user to my media other packages dont need specific users to function.

Emby was installed to  /Homes/Emby/ !!!

I dont use Home directories for users and Emby should be installed to /share/Cachedev1_data/.qpkg/ where all other packages are installed. I dont want my Homes directory filling up with Emby data.

[Edit]After a refresh  Emby is installed in two places  /share/Cachedev1_data/.qpkg/  and  /Homes/Emby/  :(

Probably a good idea to create a Testing QNAP sub forum

Edited by PenkethBoy

PenkethBoy

After a re boot of the NAS - Emby will not restart gives no error - no logs created

Have tried stopping and starting from the App Centre - no joy - nothing in resource Monitor - no Emby/dotnet or ffmpeg processes which were there before the reboot

Hello basically on Qnap they are seen as 2 different package the problem is they point at the same port.

Even if i shutdown the older Emby app it's not working (no response from the port)

Do i need to uninstall the older one and then only let the new one, if i need to uninstall the older one does my conf files stay or i will have to make a backup of them ?

alucryd

@@PenkethBoy Runing as a dedicated user is intended and that kind of sandboxing is just basic security. Running anything as root, or admin as qnap would call it, is questionnable at best and the risks of leaving your whole system open is too great. Tweaking a few permissions or putting your library in a world readable directory is a small price to pay for the added security.

As far as putting emby's library and data in /share/homes/emby, apart from it being the natural home of a unix user on qnap, this is for 3 reasons, you can easily wipe it without uninstalling the emby app to start fresh, you can easily back it up anywhere you like (it is removed upon uninstalling the app so backing it up is a good idea), and you get easy access to logs.

As for emby not restarting, I was able to reproduce and I know how to fix it, we will upload a new build later today.

alucryd

Hello basically on Qnap they are seen as 2 different package the problem is they point at the same port.

Even if i shutdown the older Emby app it's not working (no response from the port)

Do i need to uninstall the older one and then only let the new one, if i need to uninstall the older one does my conf files stay or i will have to make a backup of them ?

I will try getting both of them installed later today and report back.

@@Luke will the older library files be compatible with the new app if they're copied over?

Couple of questions Luke, will this now mean no need to "shutdown" the App from the QNAP control panel and so can reboot from the Emby web interface? also can it upgrade from the Emby webinterface as per the Windows version?

What is the best migration strategy, can you just backup your config, uninstall the QPKG, install the new QPKG and restore config?

thanks, amped about the native features and having updates at same time as Windows ver but also apprehensive as my install is working pretty much perfectly stable

Edited by rjay

PenkethBoy

@@PenkethBoy Runing as a dedicated user is intended and that kind of sandboxing is just basic security. Running anything as root, or admin as qnap would call it, is questionnable at best and the risks of leaving your whole system open is too great. Tweaking a few permissions or putting your library in a world readable directory is a small price to pay for the added security.

As far as putting emby's library and data in /share/homes/emby, apart from it being the natural home of a unix user on qnap, this is for 3 reasons, you can easily wipe it without uninstalling the emby app to start fresh, you can easily back it up anywhere you like (it is removed upon uninstalling the app so backing it up is a good idea), and you get easy access to logs.

As for emby not restarting, I was able to reproduce and I know how to fix it, we will upload a new build later today.

Hi

Running a dedicated user for Emby is fine - but its disabled by default, has no access to any files etc when installed - IF its necessary make it part of the install script to ask the admin to create a user and give it access to the appropriate file locations. As is it does not work currently.

Who said anything about running it as root/admin - and if the system is already secure on the admin account - minimal to no more risk than already present.

I dont have Home folders for my users and dont want the Emby install to override that - its not Unix its a limited version of linux - with all the hassle that comes with it. Give the option to install where the admin user wants his data - we can then decide where we want the "Emby generated data" to reside.

As you can probably tell not very keen on your choices of how you overrode system settings and dont inform the admin user what you have done and why - even if you think the choices are good you should let the user decide as they will have other views etc.

Once installed and the Emby user is enabled and given access to the appropriate media folders Emby does work OK it seems - until you reboot :)

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

oh one thing i forgot to post about is that the "restart" option from the dashboard does not work - that was before i rebooted my NAS

Edited by PenkethBoy

Okay, installed fine and seems to work.  I thought I would transfer my settings across one by one but cannot add the libraries.

I can see the tree initially but after I select the first level the screen changes to the attachment and that is it.  Only way out of this seems to be back.

I'm running this by stopping my production instance, then running this one up.  I am assuming the install is separate enough that this will not be causing issues it self.  If this is not the best way to do this then let me know.

post-68889-0-82434400-1506796071_thumb.png

Edited by tre4b

PenkethBoy

Okay, installed fine and seems to work.  I thought I would transfer my settings across one by one but cannot add the libraries.

I can see the tree initially but after I select the first level the screen changes to the attachment and that is it.  Only way out of this seems to be back.

I'm running this by stopping my production instance, then running this one up.  I am assuming the install is separate enough that this will not be causing issues it self.  If this is not the best way to do this then let me know.

you need to allow the "emby" user to have access to your media directory then you can setup a library - its not given access at setup (as it could not know what folders to give access to)

Moogle Stiltzkin

how do you do a clean uninstall once finished testing?  :o  newbie here.

I dont have Home folders for my users and dont want the Emby install to override that - its not Unix its a limited version of linux - with all the hassle that comes with it. Give the option to install where the admin user wants his data - we can then decide where we want the "Emby generated data" to reside.

As you can probably tell not very keen on your choices of how you overrode system settings and dont inform the admin user what you have done and why - even if you think the choices are good you should let the user decide as they will have other views etc.

i also 2nd this. would be nice if during setup it gives you choices about whether to use the default, or custom location for that.

i tested the qpkg on h264 and hevc worked fine. but one media file had small sized subtitles :

UymGeyT.jpg

playing the same video on MPC HC on desktop looked like this

zHW4XUn.jpg

Tested a few other videos also using SSA, but i did not see this small subtitle size issue. just this one video for some reason. Yes i saw one was directplay, another was transcoding.

PS: forum should add spoiler tags or some sort of auto resize for pics :X

Edited by Moogle Stiltzkin
  • Like 1

Edgared

with this new version emby server emby premiere does not work when I connect to the application ios or windows. a message appears and offers to subscribe to Emby first

PenkethBoy

how do you do a clean uninstall once finished testing?  :o  newbie here.

just uninstall it from the App Centre as you would any package - it appears to remove almost everything

one thing it does not remove is the emby user - it does remove the emby user group though

Glad to see i am not the only one who does not like the way its installed :)

with this new version emby server emby premiere does not work when I connect to the application ios or windows. a message appears and offers to subscribe to Emby first

How to report a problem. Thanks !

PenkethBoy

So do we have a change log from a package perspective?

What version of QNAP firmware does the x86 work with?

Is this package any different in how it installs compared to the first version?

There are no QNAP-specific changes other than introducing new architectures. I am simply posting a new build to bring you in line with the current beta server:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42284-emby-server-release-notes-beta-dev/

I'll continue to do that until this package eventually goes up on the website, at which point we will consider it stable.

I'll get you the min firmware requirements.

We have a QNAP rep that we're in contact with, and I've asked him for his opinion on the current installation procedure. That will potentially dictate whether we keep things how they are or change them.

Thanks.

PenkethBoy

Ok thanks - so no need to test the x64 again then for now - let us know when QNAP specific changes occur and i will test at that point.

will have to dig out my old 459 Pro II to see if the x86 install works and emby runs ok - This is EOL from a firmware perspective with QNAP limited to 4.2.6 - last update end ot Oct 2017.

Will there be an ARM version(s) as a lot of user are still making use of them from the QNAP forum posts? - Some models are now on the x64 firmware 4.3.3 - although a lot will not progress beyond 4.3.x as EOL again. I have TS-412 ARM x19 single core - although dont expect much from this hardware but might be fun to try if a build becomes available.

Will be interesting to see what the QNAP rep says as they do not engage in user interaction on there customer forums  ;) - apart from a one off post about once a month.

PenkethBoy

Ok have dusted off my TS-459 Pro II (atom processor) and installed the x86 version of the server. I also updated my NAS to the latest firmware first before installing the new emby server - 4.2.6 2017-09-05

The emby package installed fine with no errors from QTS.

However the server does not start - i have not rebooted since the server install so its not the same as i reported before.

I have stopped and started the app a few times with no success - the emby directory under "homes" has nothing in it - no logs etc so cant provide those

One difference i noted is that no "emby" user was created or "emby" user group with this install.

As an aside i do have a very old emby server version 3.0.8300.0 with Qffmpeg 3.1.3 and Mono 4.4.2.11 - which works fine on the NAS (although a bit slow :) ) - these i have disabled so it should not be any conflict on port numbers etc - and i changed the defaults in the old server to be sure.

I will reboot the NAS just to check if it makes a difference with this installer - if it does i will report back

Edited by PenkethBoy