Black screen when Emby for WMC starts

davesurfer

davesurfer

So away for a few days so I had the home theater PC turned off. Then when I turned it on, it loaded Emby but it looks like it couldn't find the server. So I restarted it again and then a black screen would come up after it loads Emby. The TV shows the resolution overlay information when it loads Emby, like it's switching resolutions or something. When I remotely connect to it (RDP), I see a big black square where Media Center is.

What could've caused this? It's been running great for a while. Thanks!

MBClassic-29920178658114674eb455896bf7a74788355b5.log

The log looks fine except that it took over 60 seconds to start because your server IP address apparently changed and you had it configured to connect to the old one.

That log may not be from when your black screen is happening though.  It sounds like the app may not even be starting.  Try putting WMC into windowed mode and see if that makes a difference.  Sounds like it could be a display driver issue.

davesurfer

The log looks fine except that it took over 60 seconds to start because your server IP address apparently changed and you had it configured to connect to the old one.

That log may not be from when your black screen is happening though.  It sounds like the app may not even be starting.  Try putting WMC into windowed mode and see if that makes a difference.  Sounds like it could be a display driver issue.

Weird. The server IP address is always fixed as it gets a reserved IP via DHCP. Also the server and WMC are on the same machine. Also I forgot to mention that the emby server updated to the latest version before this. So I restarted the computer again and it came up now without any problems. But I wonder if I restart it again, will it work?

roaddog1088

same exact thing happens to me now too. Black screen and the app is completely frozen. Windowed mode does not help.

davesurfer

I guess we'll have to keep an eye on it, thanks.

Ha! So it still does this. I'd gone to another room and come back finding it had loaded. For me it takes about a minute or so with the black screen, then Emby for WMC loads fine. Something is stalling it or it's waiting for something.

Edited by davesurfer

In the log you posted, it tried to connect to 192.168.1.112:8096 and couldn't.  It then fell back to automatic detection and found your server at 192.168.1.121:8096.

Perhaps you have a typo in configuration somewhere..?

davesurfer

In the log you posted, it tried to connect to 192.168.1.112:8096 and couldn't.  It then fell back to automatic detection and found your server at 192.168.1.121:8096.

Perhaps you have a typo in configuration somewhere..?

oh ok, where could I change the IP that it looks for?

davesurfer

"Advanced" tab of the config pages.  You must be an Emby Admin user to see it.

Oh ok, so where it says "Bind to local network address:" It's just empty, there's no IP address there. Am I looking in the right spot? Under Expert, then Advanced when logged in as admin on the dashboard? I think this is only for the http server right?

Edited by davesurfer

It sounds like your configuration is fine then. Check the front page of the emby server dashboard. look at the local ip address that is displayed. is this correct?

Oh ok, so where it says "Bind to local network address:" It's just empty, there's no IP address there. Am I looking in the right spot? Under Expert, then Advanced when logged in as admin on the dashboard? I think this is only for the http server right?

No, that's in the server.   I'm talking about in EMC...

davesurfer

It sounds like your configuration is fine then. Check the front page of the emby server dashboard. look at the local ip address that is displayed. is this correct?

It has the correct .121 address in there yes

59e26d9256b49_Clip_10.jpg

Where is that?

"Advanced" tab of the config pages.  You must be an Emby Admin user to see it.

The configuration screen inside Emby for WMC.

davesurfer

The configuration screen inside Emby for WMC.

So here's what it says inside Emby for WMC when logged in as admin (192.168.1.121 is correct):

59e298abd2642_Clip_11.jpg

davesurfer

Try decreasing the timeout to 8000

It actually only goes down to 20,000. However, I did hit the minus on the Connection setting to have it find the server on it's own, then I hit the plus sign to put the IP back in there. After that, it seems to start up without delay any more. I've restarted the computer and it's good now. Weird.