SHIELD Experience Upgrade 6.0

CBers

nickglott

Yes and I been playing with it. Some things I took away is that Emby is not listed as a searchable app. Also voice search is broken now when using the search icon. I believe the API is out so that should help out a bit. Hope to get native andoid assistant native support soon like Plex has.

This update also includes automatic resolution switching, in addition to refresh rate switching. But the player app needs to add that function. I heard it both work in Plex, but only refresh rate switching works in SPMC. Will Emby get this function?

This update also includes automatic resolution switching, in addition to refresh rate switching. But the player app needs to add that function. I heard it both work in Plex, but only refresh rate switching works in SPMC. Will Emby get this function?

I don't really understand to what that is referring.

The refresh rate and resolution are tied together and the beta of the Emby app already chooses the resolution based on the source video.

I don't really understand to what that is referring.

The refresh rate and resolution are tied together and the beta of the Emby app already chooses the resolution based on the source video.

Ok, I'm not running the beta. I know refresh rate switching works. But if my Shield is set to 1080p output and I play a 4K video, it stays in 1080p output. Same for the opposite of playing 1080p video when in 4K output. Resolution switching will definitely be handy to have because the Shield's 1080p->4K upscaling is pretty bad.

Ok, I'm not running the beta. I know refresh rate switching works. But if my Shield is set to 1080p output and I play a 4K video, it stays in 1080p output. Same for the opposite of playing 1080p video when in 4K output. Resolution switching will definitely be handy to have because the Shield's 1080p->4K upscaling is pretty bad.

In order to get that to completely work, you may have to keep your Shield in 4k mode.  In my testing, I believe the 4k resolutions were not available if you set the device manually to 1080 mode.

Vidman

Really missing a emby assistant app now that the shield has Google Assistant, is there any progress in this regard?

CBers

You can open Emby via Google Assistant by saying "Open Emby for Android TV", but voice search within the app seems to be broken, at least here.

CBers

How do you get it to recognise emby rather than MB?

It just does it.

Actually, I've just tried "Open Emby" and it worked.

Perhaps it learnt from "Open Emby for Android TV".

Voice search still doesn't work within the app though.

It appears all voice interaction is now taken over by the new Google Assistant.  I'm not sure how we are supposed to implement simple voice dictation anymore...

CBers

Well if just doesn't for me ;)

Did you try "Open Emby for Android TV"?

I only tried that, as that is what the app is called in the Play Store and in the apps list on my Shields

If it doesn't work, then I'm at a loss.

CBers

It appears all voice interaction is now taken over by the new Google Assistant. I'm not sure how we are supposed to implement simple voice dictation anymore...

I tried "Open Emby for Android and play [a movie]", but it didn't work :)

• 2 years later...
speedingcheetah

THis still is an issue years later.....can't launch Emby....GA just hears "MB".

How do u say Emby.....Em bee.....Em bye.....etc

speedingcheetah

Have you tried saying it slowly?

yes....still show MB, or MD   or once  am bee...or M buy

Edited by speedingcheetah

speedingcheetah

I had hoped it would be as simple as " Play channel 804"  or "Play Live Tv".....some thing like that

The Roku I tried before this, voice commands were very very basic.

G.A. is far more powerful.

But, alas, this "Smart" AI do things with your voice, don't seem to work as simple as in the commercials brag about...lolz.

I don't have any kind of  accent...just a normal American voice.

vdatanet

@@vdatanet are you able to reproduce?

Only "Open Emby for Android TV" works for me. "Open Emby" doesn't work.  It is always recognized as "Open envy", but when I add "for Android TV" is recognized as "Open Emby for Android TV".

This is how I pronounce Emby;

https://www.howtopronounce.com/emby/

"Open Emby for Android TV" is the only command it works for me. For example "Play Avengers on Emby for Android TV" is correctly recognized, but It opens youtube with videos of Avengers.

Edited by vdatanet

• 2 weeks later...