Stuck Starting up... HELP!

adrianwi

adrianwi

This was working fine this morning, and then I spotted an e-mail from emby with an invite to TestFlight to have a play with the latest beta version and Live TV.  I was heading out so didn't have time to test anything, but did notice when I tried to open the app I just for a white Starting up... screen and a spinning wheel.

I'd put it down to the beta for some reason, so when I got home installed the TestFlight app, redeemed the code and installed the beta version.  Same problem with just the Starting up... screen.  Thought I'd try restarting, but nada.  Removed the app and installed the beta version without the app store version already installed, but the same.  Tried removing it again, then restarting and reinstalling both app store and beta versions but I can't get anything other than the Starting up... screen.

Checked I had network connectivity, which I do as Youtube clips load and Speedtest is showing decent enough speeds in and out.  And I can still access my old Plex server across the network using the Simple X app.  Decided to take drastic action and Reset, so after about 30 minutes of it reinstalling apps hoped I'd be good to go again, but no :(

I've checked that the emby server is running, which it is.  I've restarted that a few times too and it's accessible through the web browser on my Macbook and working fine on an iPhone.

The aTV4 is running the latest version of tvOS11 and has been working fine since updating

Kind of run out of things to try.  Any ideas?

Make sure there isn't a rule in a router or firewall somewhere blocking the device from getting to unknown domains or something like that.

If you install the standard version from the store (not TestFlight) does it go back to working properly?

adrianwi

No, neither are working for me now.  I'm doing another hard reset with a tvOS update this time, so it shouldn't remember anything should it?

Thinking of the router, when I first set it up I was using a https://domain:port address to access the server.  I've since configured things through a reverse proxy so just connecting to https://domain and with the port forwarded by the reverse proxy.  Pretty sure I closed down the https port emby was using, to begin with, so I'll try opening that back up, but I'd assumed a reset would get me back to a completely clean system?

UPDATE - right, the hard reset and choosing to manually set-up my aTV has got me to the emby login screen.  I'll need to reload some apps, but it had got a little bloated over the last 2 months with loads of stuff I never use, so no harm in a little autumn clean ;)

Edited by adrianwi

adrianwi

I think I might have worked out why it wasn't working!  This morning I remembered removing some of the devices that were listed in the emby device screen, as I'd been testing with quite a few that I won't use moving forward.  I'd assumed these would just reconnect the next time a client accesses the server, which is how that list worked in Plex.

Having got it working again, I noticed 2 aTV4 devices in the list, so not know which one was the most up to date I deleted them both.  I'm now getting the Starting up... screen again :(  Does it take a little while for this device list to clear down so the same device can reconnect?  I've restarted the emby server thinking this might help, but it's not. 

If this is the problem, I'll probably just watch the football and come back to this tomorrow as it took several hours before it worked again :D

That should be harmless. If you delete a device from the devices section, it will just come back the next time that device connects.

Yeah, that sounds coincidental.  I don't think it is related to your issue at all.

Still sounds like either not being able to get out to our server (to download the app) or, perhaps, some condition upon connecting to your server that is causing the app to crash.

GOTCHA_SA

Having exactly the same issue, works on all my devices via web, Embry theatre, IOS app on IPad, but on the apple TV. just hanging on the Start up  

I have tried the OP suggestion of full reset but this just comes back to the same issue. Only started this morning  

Is there anything I can look at?

UPDATE: I have tried a fresh install of Embry server on a different machine, does exactly the same thing, just sits on starting up.

Edited by Ryan_vl

adrianwi

I'm going to give up on this for tonight, as I'm not getting anywhere and there's only so many times one can reset an Apple TV in one day!

I'm connecting to the server with 3 other devices sat next to me on the settee (Macbook using Safari, iPad and iPhone using iOS clients) without any problems at all, but the main device I consume most of my media on just won't connect.  I thought I'd made a breakthrough getting the login screen to appear, forgetting the server and then reentering the local address, but it still won't connect.

Made even stranger by the fact it was working fine this morning and I watched a couple of shows.

Anyway, enough for tonight.

• Like 1

Having exactly the same issue, works on all my devices via web, Embry theatre, IOS app on IPad, but on the apple TV. just hanging on the Start up  

I have tried the OP suggestion of full reset but this just comes back to the same issue. Only started this morning  

Is there anything I can look at?

UPDATE: I have tried a fresh install of Embry server on a different machine, does exactly the same thing, just sits on starting up.

You are also running the beta app?

GOTCHA_SA

The app...  That is a server version.

Sorry mis-read.

Not sure which version it is direct from the app store, can't get into it at the moment

adrianwi

Well, after a good night sleep I finally got this up and running.  I wish I knew what the problem was, but I'd decided to take some drastic measures and build a new jail for emby.  My previous emby jail was created some time ago, and whilst I could still update emby, it was built on a FreeBSD 9.3 template and as I'm not running FreeNAS 9.10.1 I couldn't update the jail itself.  Everything was also contained within the jail, and I wanted the emby data on its own dataset so it could be backed up more easily.

So this morning I did the following:

• created an embydb dataset and copied the /var/db/emby-server folder across from my old emby install
  • created a new jail and updated everything, then installed emby
  • mounted all the appropriate storage to the new jail (emby-server files and media)
  • restarted the new emby jail

All good, although I suspect the library scanner will now be running for the rest of the day :D

I'd left my aTV resetting last night, so that was ready to go this morning.  Installed the emby app from the App Store and connected this to the new emby server without any issues.  Installed TestFlight and then the beta emby app and that worked fine too, and I can see the Live TV stuff.

The only difference that I can see is that my old emby jail has been updated to 3.2.32, whilst the version pkg installed on the new one is still at 3.2.27, but I'm not going to know if that's the problem until the scan had finished and I update.

Anyway, thought I'd let you know it works and I can now test out the Live TV although I suspect like Plex, the Channels App on the aTV will do a better job of this ;)  Which reminds me, I have some apps to reinstall on my aTV...

Edited by adrianwi

If this problem really was the inability to connect to your server then there is still something in the app we need to address, because it should have recovered from that.