Constant "Loading" when Transcoding

Nisten
Go to solution Solved by Nisten,

I was trying to watch a blu-ray mkv file yesterday from yesterday at 6:58pm til 7:08pm (tried starting and restarting the movie at different transcoding settings) but the loading screen kept appearing during playback.

Also got a http request error when trying to watch a dvd mkv file around 711pm

Lastly, does Intel QuickSync still have an issue with transcoding timestamps? since i'm forced to transcode without HA currently.

server log 9-25-2017 (12am).txt

server log 9-26-2017 (12am).txt

transcode log 9-25-2017 (701am).txt

transcode log 9-25-2017 (707am).txt

transcode log 9-25-2017 (709am).txt

transcode log 9-25-2017 (710am).txt

transcode log 9-25-2017 (712am).txt

Hi, try lowering the in-app quality setting. It appears to be set at 30mbps and perhaps that is just a little too high. Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Set it to 15mbps and didn't experience the issue until the movie credits.

When I checked the server dashboard, the real-time stream had caught up to the transcoding buffer even though there was a considerable buffer pad in the middle of the movie.

Any reasons why that occurred? 

*New logs attached*

server log 9-27-2017 (841am).txt

transcode log 9-27-2017 (821pm).txt

That's not a buffer pad. That is transcoding progress vs. playback progress, and eventually the transcode will reach the end and stop moving.

But it didn't reach the end, there was 3-5 minutes left. It seems the transcode stopped a few minutes short of the true end of the movie. I was asking what would cause that to happen since the previous 2 hours and 10 or so minutes of the movie didn't suffer so why did the transcode stop 3-5 minutes short?

Usually, i wouldn't care that this happened during the movie credits but i want to prevent the "loading" screen from occurring at all, if possible 

Actually, I don't think an app log is going to tell us anything here.

It looks like the transcode job is a little much for your server to handle.  The speed starts at only about 1.4x and slowly degrades until it is slower than real time.

It looks like you simply caught up to where you had to wait on the transcode again and you stopped the video before it was done.

It's interesting that it only happens in the last couple minutes. i noticed you have customized several things here - preset, crf and ffmpeg build. you could try using defaults instead.

Thanks for the explanation ebr  :)

I had to tweak everything since its a mini pc box but I'll switch back to the defaults (except the transcoding temp path; this is still set to an external drive) and give it a go. 

Edited by Nisten

Nisten

This appears to be resolved; Also was able to turn HA back on without the transcoding timestamp issue occurring for QuickSync 

• Solution
Nisten

How did you resolve it?

Followed your recommendation of setting everything back to the transcoding defaults but still ran into the loading issue, albeit less frequently

At that point, i changed it to the most recent windows ffmpeg build at the time (9/21 build) and didn't have anymore issues. Lastly re-enabled HA for added prevention. 

Edited by Nisten