Reverse sorts

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I use several different clients, Fire TV, Shield TV and Roku. in each I would like to be able to reverse whatever sort I am using. As an example if i am currently sorting from A-Z I would like to be able to sort from Z-A.

The simplest way to do that from a user point of view would be to re-select the same sort option. That is if I have selected A-Z sorting simply selecting it again would reverse it to Z-A.

With a small library it does not matter much but with a large library it can quite a while to get from "A" to "Z" so you can browse the end of the library.

There is the select by letter option BUT that does not allow browsing the reverse order. That is if you choose "K" you cannot move to "J" by just pressing the left arrow.

This :could" also be enabled by simply making the letter choice allow browsing in either direction. That is if you choose "M" instead of only browsing "Ms" it could move you to "M" in the database like you had pressed right to get there and allow browsing in either direction.

I know it is a bit of picking nits but it could make browsing large libraries easier.

• Like 1

At this point, these options are not there purely for simplicity's sake.  The more options on the screen the more daunting things look and the less people tend to use them.  Plus, in the case of the TV apps, it is more items to have to navigate to with a remote control.

So, what we have done is try to be intelligent about the sort order and choose the one that is most likely to be wanted given the sort type (e.g. ascending for name descending for dates).  We may expand to include this option in the future.

Gilgamesh_48

At this point, these options are not there purely for simplicity's sake.  The more options on the screen the more daunting things look and the less people tend to use them.  Plus, in the case of the TV apps, it is more items to have to navigate to with a remote control.

So, what we have done is try to be intelligent about the sort order and choose the one that is most likely to be wanted given the sort type (e.g. ascending for name descending for dates).  We may expand to include this option in the future.

That seems reasonable but I really do not see how reversing the sort is at all complicating things.

However changing the letter option to where it simply places you in the list at the first item with that letter and then allowing normal browsing in both directions is at all precluded by the idea of simplicity.

Or for that matter it seems simpler to me that if I choose "M" I should be able to browse in both directions than the current way where I only see "Ms"

• 11 months later...
sfatula

That seems reasonable but I really do not see how reversing the sort is at all complicating things.

However changing the letter option to where it simply places you in the list at the first item with that letter and then allowing normal browsing in both directions is at all precluded by the idea of simplicity.

Or for that matter it seems simpler to me that if I choose "M" I should be able to browse in both directions than the current way where I only see "Ms"

On my Roku, sorting by release date gives me an ascending sort, so, the newest items are last on a long list, not the right sort. I second the request for ability to control. Ascending release date makes no sense to me. 

On my Roku, sorting by release date gives me an ascending sort, so, the newest items are last on a long list, not the right sort. I second the request for ability to control. Ascending release date makes no sense to me. 

If that's happening it is an error but I can't remember that being the case.  Are you sure?

sfatula

If that's happening it is an error but I can't remember that being the case.  Are you sure?

Just double checked, yes. It's on a Roku client, sort is by release date, the order is the exact opposite of a browser sorted by release date (desc) for the same program. The dates show up in Roku of course, so, you can also tell that way. Currently, there are 12 shows (so already have to scroll to the bottom on Roku), but note what may make a difference is this is in a Library folder of type Home Videos as this is not a TV program, it's a downloaded program that does not have any entries in thetvdb as it's from an organization. So, it could be the problem only exists on home video folders I suppose. 

Edited by sfatula

Just double checked, yes. It's on a Roku client, sort is by release date, the order is the exact opposite of a browser sorted by release date (desc) for the same program. The dates show up in Roku of course, so, you can also tell that way. 

Okay, that must be a recent regression of some sort.  We'll take a look.  Thanks.

sfatula

Okay, that must be a recent regression of some sort.  We'll take a look.  Thanks.

I hope you see my updated post, added some more details....

Just double checked, yes. It's on a Roku client, sort is by release date, the order is the exact opposite of a browser sorted by release date (desc) for the same program. The dates show up in Roku of course, so, you can also tell that way. Currently, there are 12 shows (so already have to scroll to the bottom on Roku), but note what may make a difference is this is in a Library folder of type Home Videos as this is not a TV program, it's a downloaded program that does not have any entries in thetvdb as it's from an organization. So, it could be the problem only exists on home video folders I suppose. 

Ah.  I'm pretty sure this is fixed in the current beta.