EMBY and whole house AV distribution

goverton

I'm fortunate enough to have a dedicated server room (linen cupboard) in my house.

My current setup is:

emby running on a server (unraid docker) in the server room

TV in the kitchen running Android TV app

TV in the lounge connected to a Roku 3

All connected by ethernet

Nice and easy.

But... both the kitchen and the lounge are wired for 5.1 sound, the wires all going back to the server room. So what I want to do is install a multi-zone receiver (more than one if necessary) in the server room to distribute the audio.

How do I hook the receiver up to emby and get the audio to the right room/emby client? I don't have a receiver yet so I need to understand what features I need to look for, things have moved on a bit since the last time I had a separate stereo amp ;)

I'm hoping there's something simple I'm completely missing.

If it's not straightforward then at each TV point I have 2x ethernet and 2x shielded coax to play with.

I'm guessing there's nothing obvious that I've overlooked.

Best option I've seen so far that looks like it should meet my needs is to use HDMI Arc from the TV back to the receiver, using something like this hdmi over cat6 gadget. Feels a little clunky and I lose the option of HD audio, but it should work.

emby <----cat6----> router <----cat6----> androidTV <----hdmi Arc----> converter <----cat6----> converter <----hdmi----> receiver <----speaker cable----> speaker

I guess most people are hooking up their emby clients (roku etc) directly to their amps. Someone else must have their receiver in a separate room, any tips?

How does the DLNA work? is it possible to use DLNA to stream video to the TV and the audio to the receiver in one action?

You could stream a video to both but it would still be two separate streams. Actually most receivers don't support video over dlna.