Kiosk Mode

jriker1

I want to have my Intel NUC only run Emby and not to be able to do anything else.  I also want to run it strictly from a remote.  No keyboard.  Is there a way to lock Emby so you can't get to the desktop?  Also with Kodi, they have issues where in Windows if there is a pop-up or something that traditionally happens with Windows, that focus is lost of it's interface and remote won't work anymore as the focus is elsehwere.  Someone wrote an app to check and refocus every 10 seconds or something so it is "always" in focus.  Is there anything like this/that for Emby and is that a concern in general?

​Thanks.

JR

Try running it in Chrome with the tv.emby link in kiosk mode. There also looks like an extension to help with kiosk mode. I don't use it so can't say how fully locked down it is. You can write a script with AutoHotKey to close any other dialogue boxes.

Try running it in Chrome with the tv.emby link in kiosk mode. There also looks like an extension to help with kiosk mode. I don't use it so can't say how fully locked down it is. You can write a script with AutoHotKey to close any other dialogue boxes.

Thanks for the replies. 

Luke - I'll give theater a try.  Not sure if it can always stay in foreground or not.

xilex, are you suggesting installing Chrome OS and using that?  If so, that won't work for my workflow because all my videos are in WMV format to be compatible with my Xbox 360's throughout the house and anything based on Linux has two inherit problems:

1. Video will stop playing after it hits the 2GB mark on the video.

2. Lot of WMV's won't play well at all unless on a Windows OS.

You didn't know my setup, however more interested if Chrome OS was what you were referring to.

Wasn't sure if Emby had a Windows store version of their app that you could install in Windows 10 and if it supported their assigned access functionality.

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jriker1

xilex, are you suggesting installing Chrome OS and using that?  If so, that won't work for my workflow because all my videos are in WMV format to be compatible with my Xbox 360's throughout the house and anything based on Linux has two inherit problems:

I was talking about the Chrome browser. If you're intent on using the desktop application, there are probably some software out there that help to lock down the computer like a kiosk mode.

Keep in mind, if you use Chrome, you won't have the ability to use a remote.  I think you're better off going with the Emby Theater app from the Windows store if a remote is a required in your setup.

JeremyFr79

You can do what I do, edit the windows startup so that it boots straight into the application and does not load explorer by default.

If they close the app they're just stuck on a black screen until they reboot the machine, or figure out how to bring up task manager to launch explorer

Edited by JeremyFr79

Keep in mind, if you use Chrome, you won't have the ability to use a remote.  I think you're better off going with the Emby Theater app from the Windows store if a remote is a required in your setup.

Actually the browser can catch more remote keys than you probably realize. Not as many as the installed applications, but quite a few of them.