Plex convert - few questions about Live TV

iamspartacus

iamspartacus

I'm in the process of converting over from Plex.  I've setup my Emby server and added my HDHR Tuner but I'm confused (even after reading the wiki) about how to obtain guide data.  I've seen many references to Schedules Direct and XMLTV.  Schedules Direct appears to be a paid service, is it really worth it?  How does XMLTV compare?  I've never worked with XMLTV so I'm not sure how to obtain the necessary XMLTV info to provide to my Emby server.

Any help offered will greatly increase the chances of me permanently moving over to Emby and leaving Plex in the dust ;).

jasonmcroy

Personally for me, I like the simplicity of using Schedules Direct. It's pretty cheap on a per year subscription and automatically downloads the guide and has always worked well for me.

Admittedly I have only played around with XMLTV a little bit and that was about a year ago, but I always found it cumbersome and too much work to set up and keep up. 

It really depends on how involved in setting everything up manually you want to get.

Edited by jasonmcroy

Schedules Direct appears to be a paid service, is it really worth it? 

Yes.  I believe the data and simplicity you receive from SD is well worth $26/year.

maegibbons

Another +1 agreement on SD - well worth the annual sub and "just works" with emby.

Krs

Mark

BAlGaInTl

Personally for me, I like the simplicity of using Schedules Direct. It's pretty cheap on a per year subscription and automatically downloads the guide and has always worked well for me.

Admittedly I have only played around with XMLTV a little bit and that was about a year ago, but I always found it cumbersome and too much work to set up and keep up. 

It really depends on how involved in setting everything up manually you want to get.

Yes.  I believe the data and simplicity you receive from SD is well worth $26/year.

Agreed.

I've done both.

I much prefer the SD route for ease of use. 

Thanks guys. Just signed up for a trial so I'll see how it goes this week.

I believe Plex includes the EPG info as part of an Plexpass don't they?

yes guide is included in plexpass. Though their guide implementation sucks IMO. No typical grid like implementation. Some sort of patent type infringement though if Emby uses a regular guide I don't see why Plex couldn't.

Edited by henderjr
  • Like 3

jasonmcroy

They do. It's provided by Gracenote. However, if you want to use more than one HDHomerun device at the moment you're out of luck. There is a bug where it will fail if you try to do more than 2 recordings at once. It is a bug that has existed for at least 4 months and they are aware of it and supposedly have a fix but the last 4 server updates have not included that fix. 

I have tested Plex off and on but between their buggy DVR despite them hailing it as the best DVR since sliced bread and other great features they widely promote that don't work well I have decided to stay away from them altogether.

/end rant.

• Like 1

arrbee99

Probably in irrelevant comment, but might be worth remembering that SD, though no doubt excellent, if far from a global (to use a technical term) thing.

im85288

Setting up XMLTV is the far better option for anyone with a bit of PC knowledge for two reasons:

1. It is FREE

2. You configure it to retrieve the channel information for the channels you are interested in

The second point is actually more vital for me when you have channels from different locations. This is applicable to both Plex and Emby as I run them both currently. Look into http://www.webgrabplus.com/ to set up your own customised XMLTV it may take an hour or two to get setup...but once that's done you can leave it running on a schedule.

Edited by im85288
  • Like 1

WilhelmStroker

yes guide is included in plexpass. Though their guide implementation sucks IMO. No typical grid like implementation. Some sort of patent type infringement though if Emby uses a regular guide I don't see why Plex couldn't.

Yup I signed up for SchedulesDirect as well and the Emby implementation is miles ahead of Plex. Well worth the $26 as it took me less than 5 minutes to sign up and configure SD in Emby. 

• Like 1

Yup I signed up for SchedulesDirect as well and the Emby implementation is miles ahead of Plex. Well worth the $26 as it took me less than 5 minutes to sign up and configure SD in Emby. 

Thanks for the feedback !

• 4 weeks later...
manyplay

Hi, there are programs for windows and android to watch online stream tv / radio channels. Also for user that is using webgrabplus+ for epg guide.xml generating there is a very simple windows tools xmlgrabplus to create the complicate webgrabconfig.xml on the fly (it also can automate webgrab++ to generate the epg xml) A nice windows tool is also xml&store4me to generate the guide.xml and distribute it somewhere local, lan or on webspace. Now you can access your prefered epg guide from everywhere you want and on each device that can handle guide.xml based data.

http://www.manyplay.de