Q: How to set up keyboard mapping?

Marc_G

Hi folks,

I've never used a remote to control Emby; I'm a keyboard guy.

My beloved media keyboard with lots of media keys, has died. I've ordered something to use while I search for a proper replacement.

However, most keyboards that have integrated trackpads/trackmice have different subsets of media keys than my longstanding keyboard (an Adesso WDB-3200UB).

I'm worried I might have to remap keys for skip forward, skip back.

How do we do this in Emby? I've done some searches but haven't found what I need. Thanks!

Marc

Wow Luke. 2 minute response time. My head is spinning.

Thank you. That page was very helpful.

So, from the page I understand what key inputs Emby is expecting. Is there no way to remap them if needed? I recall for example on MPC-HC, there's a "Keys" page where you can, for any function like skip forward or back, assign what key or media event invokes the command.  Does Emby not have a way to do this (even hacking a config file somewhere)? I'm not yet at all certain I need to do any of this, just getting ready to minimize the transition shock.

Mostly I'm still grieving over my old keyboard, that now sends out weird spurious clicks at odd times completely messing up the viewing experience. Took me a while to track down that it wasn't Windows or some Emby thing going on, but was actually caused by the wireless keyboard itself. Pull the battery, the problem stops.

The little thing I ordered for now will be here tomorrow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Marc

Guest asrequested

Hi folks,

I've never used a remote to control Emby; I'm a keyboard guy.

My beloved media keyboard with lots of media keys, has died. I've ordered something to use while I search for a proper replacement.

However, most keyboards that have integrated trackpads/trackmice have different subsets of media keys than my longstanding keyboard (an Adesso WDB-3200UB).

I'm worried I might have to remap keys for skip forward, skip back.

How do we do this in Emby? I've done some searches but haven't found what I need. Thanks!

Marc

I used to have that keyboard. I really liked it. I wish they still made them. I ended up using a separate keyboard and trackball. The keyboard is a Gyration and the trackball is logitech. Both work very well. 

Actually, I had a different Adesso keyboard, that I can no longer find

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

So, the plot thickens a bit.

After placing my order for something small that I figured might do the job:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WQG6A8C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I realized that I already had another wireless keyboard from a previous project. I fished it out and put fresh batteries in it. It's a Logitech K400.

It, like the one I just ordered an hour ago, has a skip forward key and skip back doubled up with function keys. The markings are >>| and |<<. This skips to previous or next chapter marking. Not what I want to do. I want to do the 30 second skip forward / 5 second skip back thing.

On my old Adesso keyboard, there were >> and << keys (note, this is different from >>| ) which invoked those commands. But few current keyboards have these keys that I think are typically for fast forward and rewind.

So, in Emby Theater, with a typical current keyboard, how does one skip forward 30 seconds?

From the page Luke referenced:

• left: rewind, if on-screen display is not showing
  • right: fast-forward, if on-screen display is not showing

OK, on my PC, this seems to work. If the on screen display is up it looks like I need to click on the << and >> buttons there.

So it looks like there is a solution, though I wonder: is there a way to remap keys (say through Windows, since ET doesn't have it) so that the >>| key would be interpretted (by all windows apps) as the Media FF button? And same for rewind?

Thanks

Marc

everybody just wants to tell alexa to do it now.

I'm tempted to mark this as best answer as a joke.

I don't get the Alexa crowd. I love Google Assistant, but for gosh sakes this is my HTPC I just want to mash a skip 30 secs key :):P

Thanks for all the great help guys. I'm sure using the right / left keys will give me what I need. I'll poke around with these various keyboards and eventually report back once I settle on an optimum solution.