Ability to view by Actor or Studio

the-dumb1

the-dumb1

It seems to me that Emby has progressively removed features over the years.  I discovered recently that I can no longer view my movies by Studio (this seems to be a recent change).  Viewing by Actor was removed quite some time ago (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/26944-missing-a-menu-option/).

Can these features please be re-implemented? 

And can y'all PLEASE put in the changelog when a feature has been disabled or removed so that the end user can determine if upgrading will remove functionality previously depended on?

Thx!

• Like 20

You can still view by either of this by clicking on them from a movie detail screen. You can also still view by studio using movie filtering controls.

the-dumb1

No.

I want to see a list of ALL the actors in my library.  I want to see a list of ALL the movies associated with a specific studio.  I want to do both WITHOUT having to click on a movie ... because I'm less interested in what the movie is than I am who the actor or studio is.

I have to use Kodi now to do what Emby used to be able to do.  And to do this, I add an Emby PLUGIN to Kodi.  I would not have upgraded Emby had I known features would be removed. 

Feature request is to put the People and Studios views back into Emby.  And also to please be more detailed in your changelog ... to state when a feature is being removed.

• Like 7

Happy2Play

You can still view by either of this by clicking on them from a movie detail screen. You can also still view by studio using movie filtering controls.

The studio feature doesn't appear on either of these.  And studios are not searchable either.

No.

I want to see a list of ALL the actors in my library.  I want to see a list of ALL the movies associated with a specific studio.  I want to do both WITHOUT having to click on a movie ... because I'm less interested in what the movie is than I am who the actor or studio is.

I have to use Kodi now to do what Emby used to be able to do.  And to do this, I add an Emby PLUGIN to Kodi.  I would not have upgraded Emby had I known features would be removed. 

Feature request is to put the People and Studios views back into Emby.  And also to please be more detailed in your changelog ... to state when a feature is being removed.

Both these features are performance issues when you look at the quantity of Studios and People.

6265 Studios

223518 People

If they were to come back we have to talk about where would they go. Putting them back in their old place as a tab is not really realistic anymore. There's enough tabs as it is we're on the verge of becoming bloatware.

the-dumb1

Happy2Play is right about the visibility of studios.

Performance doesn't sound right. Kodi can query for that information. If it really was a performance issue, the capability should be removed completely (breaking Kodi and any other applications that rely on it).

Please put the functionality back in. And please put the information in the changelog when you decide functionality will be removed.

• Like 1

the-dumb1

The studio feature doesn't appear on either of these.  And studios are not searchable either.

Both these features are performance issues when you look at the quantity of Studios and People.

6265 Studios

223518 People

There seems to be a disconnect between what Luke thinks is implemented and what actually is.  In this particular case, Luke says that one can see/click on a movie's studio within its details page.  As Happy2Play has confirmed, this is NOT the case however it is a capability that used to exist.  As of today, I am unable to see ANY studio information for movies which I previously could see this information--the information is visible when I go to edit the details, but it is not visible in the detailed information.

I have no doubt it's a performance issue but if I can still access this information using Kodi, then you probably still have a potential performance issue.    Instead of removing the feature to see this information, please consider re-writing it.

Ok yes you're right about the movie detail screen. the problem is we've just accumulated so much information that we're in danger of becoming bloatware. There is another open request to show the director and writer up in the details so that you don't have to scroll through the people to find them. I like the idea too but want to avoid clutter.

At this point we may have to drop the tagline to accommodate this. We may also need another place for the external links. 

the-dumb1

Ok yes you're right about the movie detail screen. the problem is we've just accumulated so much information that we're in danger of becoming bloatware. There is another open request to show the director and writer up in the details so that you don't have to scroll through the people to find them. I like the idea too but want to avoid clutter.

At this point we may have to drop the tagline to accommodate this. We may also need another place for the external links. 

I don't understand your comment about becoming bloatware.  I'm pretty sure that the movie details screen has been static for quite some time until someone made the decision to remove the ability to see Studios.

I assure you that dropping the tagline will create a request from someone out there to put it back.  Everyone is different and I think you'll go further if you allow people to display what they want (make it customizable without forcing them to use custom CSS which may break any time you release a new version of Emby).  You just have to re-think the user interface.

BTW, I have noticed instances in the user interface where data can be entered, but it's not searchable, viewable, or otherwise usable.  There's no reason to allow a user to edit/store information if it can't be displayed, searched, or clicked on.  You probably don't remember, but I pointed out one instance with respect to tags of Persons.  Anyway, so if you're going to drop something, make sure you completely obliterate it from your codebase.

• 2 months later...
tmb4016

Hi - I too would like the view by studio reinstating. Not too bothered about actor personally.  We still have the option to view TV by networks. However I would not like to see it implemented in a similar way to the changes to Genres. It just kills the option for users to customize the artwork.

Hopefully we can do something to get this back.

d00zah

I, too, would like to see some means of filtering by studio (for ANY media type) restored. Please.

Edited by d00zah

• 3 weeks later...
MikePlanet

tbh, I think you need a "2-level-view" to match all those requirement. What I mean by this is: ON the initial view you show the most common information, which gives a good experience and nice view - and load the "extended view" hidden and offer the user the option to show the extended information by clicking on a sign or whatever.

I think the media details could also be hidden in the compressed view, as it is a lot of technical info, that is normally not needed for most users. On the other hand you could then expose all this data in the extended view - including studios, country, etc. - and it would be nice if those can then be clicked too to get respective results.

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...
tmb4016

The studio on Movies could be put back on the top tab menu - after all we have got TV Netwroks which brings tab count to 8 - Movies is only 7 so adding Studios back would even things up and bring more of the usual excuse for these features going 'consistency'

Studio views would be great to put back. 

In the meantime thanks for the changes to the Genre view to avoid the scrolling  :)

Keep up the good work.

4.0.0.1 Beta on newly built server is looking and performing well.

Edited by tmb4016

• 5 months later...
the-dumb1

Resurrecting an old request.  I noticed that, at least in my "Favorites", I can see pictures of all my favorite actors.  Perhaps this would be more suitable for a plugin, but I'd still like to browse my library by pictures of actors--this used to be possible.  The ability to do this through my favorites is a partial capability.

the-dumb1

Not even a nice to consider? It would be helpful to help determine when there is missing photos (you cant always assume that a video will have pulled metadata from somewhere else).

the-dumb1

Seems like the same answer as before ... but two years later? If jt is an issue of where to put it, then why not in a plug-in (similar to stats and reports)?

Or make the top navigation bar configurable so that the user (me) can decide what goes in the top (I dont use Collections or Suggestions... but would love to have the Persons/People tab back). Bloat isnt an issue when you let folks decide what goes there.

What is needed to get consideration beyond what was said two years ago?

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Happy2Play

Ideally I think they could be tabs on the Home Screen  They are both somewhat global options.

Home Favorites Actors Studios

Deathsquirrel
12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Ideally I think they could be tabs on the Home Screen  They are both somewhat global options.

Home Favorites Actors Studios

If these are added back to core parts of the UI I would ask they be made something you can turn off.

The studio data is a disaster because studios start up production companies for every other movie, distribution rights are regional, etc.  When this was displayed there were about a dozen studios shown per movie, often just meaningless variations of the same core studio name.

The actors list would be super useful to me as an admin wanting to check for duplicates and bad photos, but a scrollable list of all the actors in all the content on my server would be of zero use to my users that want to watch a movie.  They'd rather use search.