Ability to view by Actor or Studio

the-dumb1

the-dumb1
On 6/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, Luke said:

It used to be. It's not anymore. Now it's more a question of where do we put it, is there enough space, what will have to be reworked to make enough space, etc.

Why does it have to be a question of space?  Why can't you give the user the option of what to display?  Right ... you have multiple platforms and tons of different display resolutions ... one size does not fit all.  Ok ... I give up.

29 minutes ago, the-dumb1 said:

Why does it have to be a question of space?  Why can't you give the user the option of what to display?

Even giving the user the ability to choose tabs, it is still a question of space as we'd have to limit the number they can choose.  But, that is our ultimate goal.  It just doesn't happen with a snap of the fingers.  We are a large, complex set of programs and apps and there are a lot of things we are working on.  This is just one of them.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
paddy75

I also want this. A overview of all actors would be very nice. When you don't know the actors name, you could look into the overview when a picture is present.

Think a performance issue could not be a real argument  in this century. If you look into a music library, you also can go into "Album Artists, Artists, Composer". In my case I have 7600 Composer in the overview and it tooks only 1-2 seconds to display them. So a user choice to enabel/disable it would be good.

the-dumb1

Some time after I wrote this request, I noticed that we're now able to view "Favorite" actors.  I'd like to see this expanded to ALL actors.  This feature existed years ago.

visproduction

It's there but sort of hidden in Search.

Search people names beginning with A.jpg

Search people with two names one starting with A and the other name starting with S.jpg

Search for studios by first letter.jpg

Search using any U any which finds actors with any starting U in name.jpg

Edited by visproduction
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play

@visproduction True but there is 50 item limits coded into results so you cannot get all results without hacking js file changing limit.

• Thanks 1

paddy75

hmmm, but not realy helpful if you don't know what you search for. requires 2 characters as minium to get back a result. Would be nice to see here the same as in a music library. Here are more posiblities to chose

• 2 months later...
mickle026

I want the people and studios back too - i would also like to add characters to people for roles played , but I doubt that will ever happen.

Suugestions tab for me, is a worse idea than People, I dont use folders tab either

As this thread is from 2017 and there is continual/repeating reasons why its not there - it seems that it probably wont happen :(, at least not anytime soon.

Alas for me Emby is slowly loosing its appeal / flair ....

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

visproduction

Mick,

Did you notice that People and Studios show up as tabs in Search results?  I use Folders, as the default way to show my music video library.  I think it is useful for that.

Studios_People_Folders_use.jpg

mickle026

Its limited to 50 results in search, I have previous asked for a +more button in search, but alas nothing ...

I know they are both there and they work as a view on their own, alas they were removed, supposedly because the tab strip was cluttered.  IMHO I dont think that was the actual reason, probably more the code would need to be altered to accomodate more buttons.   I know from plugin dev the tabstrip is severely limited as it doesn't scroll if its too big, IMHO it needs the ability to scroll or be multiline.  Dev will probably dissagree, as they do if they are adamant they are not doing something.  However there may be light at the end of the tunnel as Luke as hinted it might become configurable.   Then I can turn off what I dont use and turn on what I do use,  for this I wonder if it'll be server side , client side or both...??

• 1 month later...
Maarten

6 years in the making? I wonder if this feature will ever see the light 🙄 

Yeah, I know “this is the way”, the emby way 🫣