LiveTV with WMC setup in a VM

moviefan

moviefan

I have been trying this morning to get a VM setup to work with WMC and have run into a roadblock.  I was wondering it the users on here could help me out if they have seen this before.

I got an HDHomeRun Prime and have activated it with Comcast.  I am able to view LiveTV from several different computers in WMC.

So I installed a Win7x64 VM in my vsphere 5.5 environment and set it up to do LiveTV as well as I was hoping for this always-on VM to be my Server WMC source.

But when I go to play the TV through the vSphere client I receive an error that "Video cannot be played because an audio device has not been detected"

It seems that provisioning a sound card with vSphere is not possible from everything I can find.

So I thought maybe I could set the VM up using RDP but then I just receive a message stating that WMC cannot play video via RDP.

So, I am a bit stuck here, and wondering if perhaps I am best suited by not using a VM for this anymore.  I read of some other users saying how they had a difficult time doing this.  Does anyone have instructions for how to get this working using a VM or should I give up?

Thanks for your advice.

mboehler

I have set up Windows 7, WMC, and ServerWMC on a VM using a HDHomeRun Dual.  Streaming to the Media Browser web client works fine.  But I never could get WMC to play the live TV stream.  I guess it doesn't matter though, as long as ServerWMC is working correctly.

Check out my thread here.

moviefan

I have set up Windows 7, WMC, and ServerWMC on a VM using a HDHomeRun Dual.  Streaming to the Media Browser web client works fine.  But I never could get WMC to play the live TV stream.  I guess it doesn't matter though, as long as ServerWMC is working correctly.

Check out my thread here.

I read over your thread but I don't see how you are getting sound to work.

Are you using VMWare workstation instead of ESX?

EDIT:  I see that you are actually using VirtualBox under Win7 which is a completely different application and probably why sound was much easier for you to get working.  It is looking more like doing this in ESX is not going to work at all.

Edited by moviefan

mboehler

I read over your thread but I don't see how you are getting sound to work.

Are you using VMWare workstation instead of ESX?

EDIT:  I see that you are actually using VirtualBox under Win7 which is a completely different application and probably why sound was much easier for you to get working.  It is looking more like doing this in ESX is not going to work at all.

I think there's some confusion.  I don't have sound working in the VM.  The server I have the VM installed under does not have a sound device, although the VM says there is one.  I can't play files with with WMC on the VM, but ServerWMC works fine and send the video to MB Server/Web client just fine.

moviefan

I think there's some confusion.  I don't have sound working in the VM.  The server I have the VM installed under does not have a sound device, although the VM says there is one.  I can't play files with with WMC on the VM, but ServerWMC works fine and send the video to MB Server/Web client just fine.

Thanks for the explanation.  Yah the problem I have with vSphere is that I cannot get the VM to think there is a soundcard.  Doesnt seem to be any way around this.

Danee

Maybe you can try vmware player, I'm running a vm in player without an issue. Local playback also not possible but good for serving ServerWMC.

moviefan

Maybe you can try vmware player, I'm running a vm in player without an issue. Local playback also not possible but good for serving ServerWMC.

As of right now I am just running it on one of my desktops.  If I have to choose something besides ESX I would have to redo my whole setup and it works well for everything else besides LiveTV.  I guess maybe I could install VMWare Player inside of a VM on ESX and try to put it there but it just sounds too complicated for the moment with no benefit and the only caveat to my current setup being I can't turn my desktop off anymore which I never do anyway.  So I will just see how this goes for now but I would advise anyone considering to put ServerWMC in an ESX environment that I don't think it is possible right now due to this sound issue.

wally007

I have WMC running inside the VM Windows 7 on ESXI 5.5.

I vaguely remember there was something additional I had to do but there definitely is a way to add HD AUDIO driver to ESXI.

16.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
ArCaDe

I have my environment all setup virtually on ESX 5.5, MBS & SWMC are both on a VM. I have 3 separate physicalized VM's outputing video & audio via HDMI (one is a gaming VM using a R9 280X, another is a WMC VM using a HD6450, & a 3rd is a regular desktop VM using another HD6450). I actually have SWMC running on the gaming VM since when LiveTV was first introduced in MBS I had issues getting it to work properly on my MBS VM that didnt have video\audio output. I didnt know about the HD Audio options that wally & above1 mentioned, I will be looking into that more. So if the HD Audio setup linked above doesnt work for you you can always passthrough a video or audio card to your VM. If you don't have passthrough capability with your setup then you could get a USB sound card & add it as a USB device; I know for a fact that works as I also have a VM outputing video via a USB Video card & audio via a USB audio adaptor using that option.

Edited by ArCaDe