Is DS718+ and DS918+ units supported yet for HW transcoding?

Scot
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

solabc16

Thanks @@cynicism

This machine is also based on the Realtek RTD1296 - which we already support, so Emby Server should be good to go out of the box.

Hardware transcoding support will however remain a future goal, dependent on whether we can get access to the h/w.

Best

- James

cynicism
@solabc16

I'll probably buy a DS118 to play with when it becomes available.

I loaded the new bulid on the DS218+ that I currently have.  It's working well.  I haven't been able to tell any difference in CPU utilization no matter how I set transcoding options.  Should this be working?  If so, what do I need to do to get it going?  (I'll be glad to read the manual, if you point me in the right direction; but I've already read everything I can find, to no avail.)

solabc16

Hello @@cynicism

Is this still with transcoding live TV?

As far as server configuration goes, all you need to do is go to Manage Server -> Transcoding -> Hardware acceleration -> Select "Video Acceleration API" and save the change.

Can you send me an updated set of logs for this release, that contain a live TV session.

Best

- James

Hello,

I'm new ds918+ owner and would like to try Emby server with h/w transcoding.

How to start, where to download apollolake build?

Clients will be Samsung Smart TV, 2 x Windows 10 machine, iPhone 6plus...

Thanks in advance...

Edited by NeNo

I didn't realize that you made release for Package Manager.

I installed it and it works :)

Tried few movies on my TV but there wasn't any transcoding, always DirectPlay.

Then on my iPhone, one was transcoding with CPU on 87%(from Dashboard: Transcoding - 2.5 Mbps ts h264 mp3)

and one with 38% load (from dashboard: Transcoding (84 fps) - 4.2 Mbps ts h264 aac).

In server settings on Transcodiing, I set Intel Quick Sync and enabled hardware transcoding for H264 and VC1.

Are those settings ok, or should I put something else?

Also should I do this procedure: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Migrating-From-the-Community-Package ?

Edited by NeNo

cynicism

@solabc16

James, I had the transcoding option set to the wrong thing, sorry.

New logs.  One HD recording going in background, watching HD program in foreground.  Service did NOT die.  Great!

sendlogs_Safe218_synology_apollolake_218+_20171026T193245UTC.tgz

Watching a single LiveTV stream (without a background recording) gives CPU utilization in the 20-25% range.  This is much better.

Under LiveTV, Settings, "Automatically convert recordings to a streaming friendly format", this option is checked.  Anytime there is a recording in progress, CPU goes to about 95%.  Does this "convert" not use hardware transcoding?

BTW:  DS118 is now official.

https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS118

solabc16

Hello @@pikeupe

The DS918+ and DS718+ are both 'apollolake' based machines, using the Intel Celeron J3455.

So in terms of raw processing power, they'll be capable of the same transcode rates.

However, your intended use and library content will bring other factors into play, when making a decision on which NAS is right for you.

My recommendation is always to first look at your intended usage and see if you can take advantage of direct play, by using a media format that is natively compatible with the devices you intend to playback content on.

Best

- James

• 2 weeks later...
cynicism

@solabc16  We have a reproduce-able bug!

Same two recordings, second week in a row.  Service is still responsive (browsing and playback are fine), but two recordings appear to be in progress hours after they should have completed and no new recordings are started regardless of schedule. 

Ran diagnostics while we still had two hung recordings.

sendlogs_Safe218_synology_apollolake_218+_20171109T051426UTC.tgz

A service restart leaves two damaged recordings (there, but not complete).

tchirou

Hi Guys

I have had a DS418 for 3 weeks and I have an opportunity to migrate to a ds418play for 40$ so I am taking it.

I am already using the emby repository in package center.

If I understand everything, the DS418play which has an intel J3345 appololake, should be able to use H/W transcode with the emby package. I just need to select intel quick sync in the settings. Is that it ?

Thanks a lot

Edited by tchirou

solabc16

@solabc16  We have a reproduce-able bug!

Same two recordings, second week in a row.  Service is still responsive (browsing and playback are fine), but two recordings appear to be in progress hours after they should have completed and no new recordings are started regardless of schedule. 

Ran diagnostics while we still had two hung recordings.

sendlogs_Safe218_synology_apollolake_218+_20171109T051426UTC.tgz

A service restart leaves two damaged recordings (there, but not complete).

Hello @@cynicism

Thanks for the update, this particular issue is more likely to be Emby Server related, as opposed to platform related. @@Luke, any thoughts?

I've taken a quick look at the logs and don't see any specific platform issues. @@cynicism, can you give an estimated time this happened?

Server logs attached for reference...

Best

- James

logs.zip

Edited by solabc16

cynicism

@@Luke, @@solabc16

Historically, it happens on Monday evenings, so it hasn't happened since the above logs.  The two recordings are from 6:30-7:00pm and from 7:00-8:00pm (CST or GMT-6).  Both recordings are affected.  So, I'd guess it is around 7:00pm that it dies.  I ran diagnostic logs several hours after the recordings should have completed.

I will try to reproduce with different shows and will try turning off the realtime conversion (assuming that's "Automatically convert recordings to streaming friendly format", if not, please point me in the right direction).  I'll send more details as I learn more...

Edited by cynicism

cynicism

@@Luke

@cynicism has this happened again? If so, try turning off the realtime recording conversion feature under live tv settings. thanks !

Turning off realtime recording conversion did allow the recordings to complete normally.  Is there any other tests or information that would be useful?

No, for your server I would suggest keeping the setting off as the conversion just isn't happening fast enough.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, I have been reading so many posts and have been learning a lot.

My old nas (zyxel - for files only) just died. and my Windows Media PC is on it's very last legs (grocery store PC from 8 years ago).

I am moving to a Synology.  But would love to hear your opinions on the DS418play or the DS918+

I have very little 4k content at the moment but that will increase I am sure.  I have limited bandwidth to the TVs upstairs (wifi only).

So in your opinion.  faster dual-core or slower quad-core?  

"the DS418play or the DS918+"

DS918+

Hi ,Everbrave thank you for your opinion.  Could I trouble you for a short reason for the DS918+.

Pluses that I see are:  4 cores (but slower), possible of 8 Gig Ram (only 6 in the play), m.2 sdd support (the family will not be accessing files for working), virtualization support (I use my main machine for VMs), adding a DX517 in the future) .

I am on the fence between the two :-)

Everbrave

Hi ,Everbrave thank you for your opinion.  Could I trouble you for a short reason for the DS918+.

Pluses that I see are:  4 cores (but slower), possible of 8 Gig Ram (only 6 in the play), m.2 sdd support (the family will not be accessing files for working), virtualization support (I use my main machine for VMs), adding a DX517 in the future) .

I am on the fence between the two :-)

In short, you can transcode more streams on DS918+

There are a lot of articles with detailed comparison, e.g. http://nascompares.com/2017/11/20/what-is-the-best-synology-4-bay-nas-ds918-vs-ds418play-vs-ds418-vs-ds418j/

hope this helps

In short, you can transcode more streams on DS918+

Thank you, so you say more cores are better than a little more speed.   Thank you.