Is DS718+ and DS918+ units supported yet for HW transcoding?

Scot
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Hello @@Scot

Thanks for getting in touch, do you have one of these systems?

Best

- James

Thanks @@solabc16 getting back to me

Yes, I have a DS718+, currently running Plex on it, HW encoding capable version and it works no issues and does significantly reduce the CPU, a 1080P stream drops to about 7-8% rather than 40%.

I've added the https://synology.emby.media/ to my community package sources on the Synology ands the SSL gets added automatically correctly, however the Emby Server package refuses to show up until the "Community" section in packages....I've refreshed and given it a few days but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Scot

solabc16

Hi @@Scot

We've just got the toolkit and build environment for Synology's 'apollolake' based machines up and running, so a release for your platform is on the way.

For anybody else reading, this includes the DS218+.

We'll need to get an initial release out to gather some more information, before we can look at the possibility of h/w transcoding support.

Expect an update later this evening/tomorrow.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello @@Scot

The timing worked out well, so I've just put a build up for the 'apollolake' based Synology boxes - this should now show up in Package Centre, you may need to manually refresh.

If possible, can you run the diagnostics and sendlogs utilities, you can find the instructions on the Wiki:-

Diagnostics : https://github.com/M...Run-Diagnostics

Send Logs : https://github.com/M...us-Support-Logs

This will give me some more information to check that everything is working as expected and look at supporting h/w transcoding.

Best

- James

solabc16

Great, thanks @@Scot. When the sendlogs utility completes, it will give you a reference number.

That's all I need, so you can PM me that or post in here.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello @stephaaaaan 

That's certainly the intention, do you have one of these units with Emby Server installed?

I need somebody with one of these devices to run the diagnostics & send logs.

@@Scot, how did you get on?

Best

- James

stephaaaaan

Hi James,

Not yet, will probably take me about two months until I can afford one. Maybe someone is faster. If not, I‘ll happily provide logs :)

Regards,

Stephaaaaan

• 2 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello All

Thanks for the updates and feedback so far, the base package looks good and appears to be working properly.

Related to this thread (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/48771-va-api-pixelation-on-ds416play/?p=500648), I've also prioritised the refresh for 'apollolake'.

There is a build available now which has updated support for h/w transcoding.

Let me know if you're happy to run with a custom Package Center URL for a couple of weeks and I'll PM you with details to get early access.

Best

- James

cynicism

@solabc16 

Hi James,

Running on a DS218+ with an HDHR3 as a tuner.

If there is a HD recording going in the background and I attempt to start watching a LiveTV HD show, the service becomes unresponsive, sometimes the background recording completes normally, sometimes it doesn't.  Nearly always after that new recordings aren't made until the service is restarted.

Dave

solabc16

Hi Dave

I don't believe Emby Server currently takes advantage of h/w transcoding with external tuners, @@Luke can you jump in to confirm.

If the CPU doesn't have sufficient performance, then you would need to consider using an external tuner with h/w transcoding.

Best

- James

solabc16

Sorry, I meant Emby Server won't use h/w transcoding on the platform itself with external tuners?

i.e. use VA-API to optimise the conversion from the tuner itself.

Best

- James

We can yes because the feed comes into emby server, gets transcoded and then sent out to an emby app.

cynicism

@solabc16  Logs posted.

sendlogs_Safe218_synology_apollolake_218+_20171019T202817UTC.tgz

Ironically, this time, the live TV program is playing (instead of being completely unresponsive).