Missing Emby Service

GuruBaron
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

GuruBaron

This morning a friend of mine wanted Emby on his Windows 10/64-bit home system. So I download Emby Server Stable 3.2.31.0 and install without problem. But there is no Emby service. It works in application mode just fine. I have done this a dozen or more times in the past on other computers, always with a service installed automatically. This is brand new HP system, only finished windows updates and antivirus, 12G memory. Have tried re-downloading & re-installing Emby Server, turning on and off the Emby "Run server at startup" option and multiple reboots. Still no Emby service.

Any help?

• 2 months later...
Doctor Bob

I just installed Emby on a friend's laptop. Where did the Emby Windows service go?

The information Luke provided here solved it. Thank you.

However, I was not able to get the new Emby Windows service to start after creating it with nssm.

It failed with Log On as "Local System account" or using "This account" using Windows user credentials.

In the end I decided to use the "Run server at startup" option.

At first I was rather annoyed that the Emby Windows service had been removed.

But the reality is that the Window service approach was not all that reliable.

The service often failed to startup on PC wake-up or boot-up.

The "Run server at startup" is much more reliable option.

So for those who read this post and are after a Windows service solution for Emby, forget about it.

Instead go for the "Run server at startup" solution as it is much more reliable.

As annoyed as I was about all of this, I have to agree to the decision to remove the Emby Window service in order to maintain consistency across all supported OS platforms.

For those who need to know how to set "Run server at startup".

Open the Emby Dashboard --> select Settings -> Ckeck box "Run server at startup".

Uncheck box "Launch the Emby we app in my web browser when Emby Server starts" if you do not want it appearing at login.

Edited by Doctor Bob

Happy2Play

I just installed Emby on a friend's laptop. Where did the Emby Windows service go?

The information Luke provided here solved it. Thank you.

However, I was not able to get the new Emby Windows service to start after creating it with nssm.

It failed with Log On as "Local System account" or using "This account" using Windows user credentials.

In the end I decided to use the "Run server at startup" option.

At first I was rather annoyed that the Emby Windows service had been removed.

But the reality is that the Window service approach was not all that reliable.

The service often failed to startup on PC wake-up or boot-up.

The "Run server at startup" is much more reliable option.

So for those who read this post and are after a Windows service solution for Emby, forget about it.

Instead go for the "Run server at startup" solution as it is much more reliable.

As annoyed as I was about all of this, I have to agree to the decision to remove the Emby Window service in order to maintain consistency across all supported OS platforms.

For those who need to know how to set "Run server at startup".

Open the Emby Dashboard --> select Settings -> Ckeck box "Run server at startup".

Uncheck box "Launch the Emby we app in my web browser when Emby Server starts" if you do not want it appearing at login.

Cheers,

Robert

Did you use the 64bit NSSM?

• Like 1

Doctor Bob

Did you use the 64bit NSSM?

Buda Bing! That is what I used. I seem to default to 64bit without thinking.

Thank you, Happy2Play.