.NET Core stable release

mutu310
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Everbrave

Hello All

I know it's been a long slog and it feels like we've been playing a never ending game of 'whack-a-mole', but we're finally there.

Today we brought up 3.4.1.0 stable on a .NET Core build, specific to Intel based Synology systems.

DSM releases from 5.2-5967 onward will be supported, in line with the current Emby Server package for Synology. However, please note, to start with only Intel based systems will be supported.

I'll share more details as we go along.

I expect the first test packages to be available within the next couple of weeks, so please post here if you'd like to help test, along with the Synology model you'll be testing on; we'll prioritise the builds based on this information.

Best

- James

You can count me in for Beta testing.

I have two Synology Diskstations: DS415+ and DS918+

EDIT: I have the DS412+ too in case you need to test this too but it’s retired on my side.

Thanks

Edited by Everbrave

andyblac644

Hello All

I know it's been a long slog and it feels like we've been playing a never ending game of 'whack-a-mole', but we're finally there.

Today we brought up 3.4.1.0 stable on a .NET Core build, specific to Intel based Synology systems.

DSM releases from 5.2-5967 onward will be supported, in line with the current Emby Server package for Synology. However, please note, to start with only Intel based systems will be supported.

I'll share more details as we go along.

I expect the first test packages to be available within the next couple of weeks, so please post here if you'd like to help test, along with the Synology model you'll be testing on; we'll prioritise the builds based on this information.

Best

- James

happy to help test I run a RS3617XS.

• 2 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello @@stratumorien

As you may have seen, Synology released DSM 6.2 at almost the same time as I posted the last update, so we've had to divert a bit of energy to making sure we have that fully supported - for both the current and upcoming .NET Core package.

There's one final issue we're working through now on the beta channel, then we'll be back to focusing on the .NET Core release.

Best

- James

stratumorien

Thanks @@solabc16 ,

I had not realized the implication of a DSM update; these updates are automated for me and didnt notice. Regardless thanks for the update and I look forward to the next evolution of emby on Synology.

Brian

Edited by stratumorien

solabc16

Hello @@djhifi

I'll pick this up on your other post, this thread is for the .NET Core release work.

Best

- James

• Like 1

djhifi

Hello @@djhifi

I'll pick this up on your other post, this thread is for the .NET Core release work.

Best

- James

Thanks I appreciate it. I have several questions to post there, would appreciate your help. Regarding the .NET core, I've visited the link you gave me but I see no link for the repo. Shall I send you a PM in here for it?

• 3 weeks later...
stratumorien

Hi @@solabc16

Any updates on testing and release for this distribution?

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by stratumorien

solabc16

Hello @@stratumorien, All

I should have posted an update here before now, apologies for the radio silence on this thread.

As you probably noticed DSM 6.2 landed within moments of my previous update.

If you've been following some of the other threads, this did give us a few challenges to work through ahead of the recent stable release (3.5.0.0).

We really wanted to make sure there were no issues for users installing or upgrading on the latest version of DSM, as well as maintaining backward compatibility to 5.2-5967.

The good news is this is now back on the top of the priority list and we're just working through a couple of remaining issues with DSM 6.2 support.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll leave you with this...

5b57ab629c6ba_netcore_coming_soon.png

...thanks for your patience.

Best

- James

• Like 3

djhifi

Hello @@stratumorien, All

I should have posted an update here before now, apologies for the radio silence on this thread.

As you probably noticed DSM 6.2 landed within moments of my previous update.

If you've been following some of the other threads, this did give us a few challenges to work through ahead of the recent stable release (3.5.0.0).

We really wanted to make sure there were no issues for users installing or upgrading on the latest version of DSM, as well as maintaining backward compatibility to 5.2-5967.

The good news is this is now back on the top of the priority list and we're just working through a couple of remaining issues with DSM 6.2 support.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll leave you with this...

5b57ab629c6ba_netcore_coming_soon.png

...thanks for your patience.

Best

- James

GREAT news :D That print looks awesome. 

Those who install the NET core will be required to uninstall current version?

Edited by djhifi

solabc16

Hello All

A quick follow-up, we completed end-to-end testing of the .NET core package on the 'avoton' architecture today.

There's a couple of niggles to sort out, but overall looking very good - see pictures below.

I expect the 'avoton' package to be available for closed group testing at some point during the coming week, which will support the following models:-

• RS818+/RS818RP+
  • DS1817+
  • DS1517+
  • RS2416+/RS2416RP+
  • RS815+/RS815RP+
  • DS2415+
  • DS1815+
  • DS1515+
  • DS415+
5b5e30e283a53_netcore_running_2.png

5b5e30c84a852_netcore_running_1.png

5b5e3101d31e5_netcore_running_3.png

5b5e31a250a7b_netcore_running_4.png

Best
- James

solabc16

GREAT news :D That print looks awesome. 

Those who install the NET core will be required to uninstall current version?

Hello @@djhifi

Sorry, missed this - for the closed group testing (at least), the .NET Core package will install alongside the existing Mono based package.

Depending how you configure Emby Server, you theoretically could have them both running at the same time.

For our testing, we have them configured identically, so whilst both can sit side by side without issue; you can only have one running at a time like this.

Best

- James

Everbrave

Great news!

How will the “closed group” know whether they will receive the package?

When will the package for DS918+ available and whether it will support HW Transcoding (VAAPI or QuickSync)?

BTW I have both DS415+ and DS918+; but I rely more on the latter because of HW Transcoding.

Thanks

solabc16

Hello @@Everbrave

Once we have a package available for the platform you're willing to help test on, I'll get in touch via PM with further details.

For systems with h/w transcoding support, VAAPI will be supported in the same way as it is today on these platforms.

For the Intel x64 based machines, unless we come across any significant issues, we'll start making packages available the following week, prioritised by tester availability.

Best

- James

Seger

Hey buddy, that's sensational news :-), incredible your use!

I will be one of the lucky ones to be able to test the new package on the DS2415 + machine and will of course try to help with any details in the improvement. At this point again a huge thank you from me!

Best regards seger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
solabc16

Hello All

I've just posted a general update regarding the beta releases here : https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/62265-update-for-users-on-the-synologyxpenology-beta-channel/

We've just finished rebuilding the 'avoton' package for .NET Core release 2.1.3, and expect to push this out for closed group testing over the weekend.

Best

- James

• Like 1