FR: MBC - Amazon Instant Video

Crestj

Now that Amazon Instant Video is available to the US and UK users here (possibly more?) I wonder how feasible it is to incorporate this into MBC much like the trailer plugin that streams videos.

There is a very good MC plugin (not MBC) from these guys: http://sharepointsnapple.com/amazonmceaddin/

I'm not a programmer as such but I imagine the concept to stream from the web to MC isn't too far removed from streaming a trailer from the web to MBC. (HUGE assumption there!!!!)

Would anyone else find this useful?

Koleckai Silvestri

Not probable in reality. Amazon uses Microsoft's Silverlight as their transport method to specifically prevent being embedded in other products.

Would be nice to be able to integrate the content into a library but DRM still drives video syndication.

Edited by Wayne Luke

Yeah, unless they provide us a public API to consume it will be difficult.  I haven't checked lately but most of these big guys don't want other interfaces presenting their content as then they can no longer control it.

I believe it is possible to get at the Prime Instant video content listings via their APIs but I'm not sure they will let us actually stream them.  If they do, though, then yeah, this would be a dynamite addition.

Latchmor

@@Crestj Hi I've been a Prime member for ages so tried the WMC plugin last night but kept getting errors. Do you have it working?

I got in touch with the Dev and he sent me a different version which I have just tried but it won't load.

My LG TV has an app so I'm ok just now!

Cheers

No it just keeps saying my login is incorrect, which it isn't!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Latchmor

Mmm, the 1st version I used from his site let me login and browse ok but wouldn't play anything. Kept getting Service Error 5003.

I've just emailed him to say that his latest version he sent is not working so I'll keep you posted if you want.

Cheers

• Like 1

Latchmor

Ask him if he'd like to turn it into a plug-in for MB...

I have asked. According to the Addin page on his site he's looking for some ffmpeg and rtmpdump help.  So I threw that in to the mix and said if he could create a MB Plugin he'd get some help over here perhaps!

Keep you posted.

Cheers

Latchmor

Lol, he's obviously sitting at his PC right now, just got a reply

"Thanks – appreciate the info – will look them up"

Hopefully he'll like what he sees!

;)

• 1 month later...
Crestj

The latest version of the amazonmceaddin now let's you login and browse the tv and Movies ok but I've had no luck playing anything.

Just get a blank screen so far.

Crestj

Yeah I tried updating but it said I was already up to date

Deihmos

Google how to reset the DRM. The developer is actually very helpful. Post on his blog. 

Edited by Deihmos

Koleckai Silvestri

Just tested it again (hadn't used it since the last post above) and while it required an upgrade, the new version worked fine for me.

Crestj

Reinstalled silverlight and upgraded drm but still no joy.

I bet it's that stupid shark codec pack doing something it shouldn't.

Not touching that though as everything else plays fine and it'll only break if I change it!

Koleckai Silvestri

I could be... I don't have Shark installed. Don't have any external players installed for that matter. Only thing installed was the Lav filters required by Media Browser.