Subtitles during library scan

Guest Sabiel

Guest Sabiel

I'm currently in the process of adding libraries one by one to a new installation.

As can be seen in the attached screenshot, it was my intention to only download subtitles for movies and episodes only when the audio track was not in English.

post-9635-0-59323500-1505678795_thumb.png

The library scan is still running, but I was keeping an eye on my folders.  I immediately thought that I suddenly had a lot more srt files than originally.  Eventually I received a 'failed to download' notification presumably having hit the daily limit at Open Subtitles.  I've also checked the server log, and as the extract below details subtitles were being imported during the scan:

2017-09-17 17:05:23.435 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager POST: https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc2017-09-17 17:05:38.533 Info HttpClient: HttpClientManager POST: https://api.opensubtitles.org/xml-rpc2017-09-17 17:05:42.096 Info SubtitleManager: Saving subtitles to /volume2/video/TV/100, The/Season 1/100, The - S01E07 - Contents Under Pressure.eng.srt

Is there an issue here, is the server perhaps not recognizing that the audio and subtitle languages match before downloading the subtitles, or have I missed something in the settings?

I'd also like to clarify some things if I can.  Within my library settings I have real time monitoring enabled in the hope that it will be supported.  Assuming that does prove to be the case, I can then disable the scan media library scheduled task?  If I also enable chapter image extraction within the library.  I see that that one says it runs when videos are discovered, and as a nightly task.  If it runs as they are discoved can I also disable that as a scheduled task?  Finally the other library scheduled tasks: download missing subtitles.  Are they at all affected by having real time monitoring enabled? 

I would not suggest relying solely on the realtime monitor. The library scan should be run once in a while as it has some operations at the end that would not be executed by the realtime monitor.

As far as subtitle downloading goes, can we look at a specific example of a subtitle that was downloaded that you felt should not have been? thanks.

Guest Sabiel

I'll perhaps look at putting the library scan on a much longer schedule then.  What about the other scheduled tasks; it's the same with those, or are some of them not covered at all by the real time monitor?

Do you want the srt file, or the full server log?  I know that that was only an extract of the log I gave earlier.  I wasn't completely sure myself earlier that something wasn't right; it just looked wrong when I checked the folders, but the server log confirmed that the subtitles were being downloaded.

I would just like discussion of an example that you felt shouldn't have been downloaded.

For the scheduled tasks, I would still suggest allowing them to run once in a while. Actually the main reason why we have the scheduled tasks is because the operations have been deemed too slow to embed within the normal scanning process. So by turning them off they'll never execute at all, and that may result in any number of quirks.

Guest Sabiel

Well the extract I gave earlier is an example.  The video file has an English audio track, yet I now have an srt file in my folder, and the log would appear to confirm that the subtitles were downloaded and saved during the scan.  Here is the media information as it now appears within Emby for that particular file:

VideoCodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate3404 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames1
NAL4
AudioCodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleDolby Digital 5.1 Default
SubtitleLanguageeng
CodecSRT
DefaultNo
ForcedNo
ExternalYes
TitleEng
Containermkv
Path/volume2/video/TV/100, The/Season 1/100, The - S01E07 - Contents Under Pressure.mkv

I'll also attach the full log.

server-63641261762.txt

Sorry, I'm wrong about that. If there is no default track it will look at the first track.

The reason is that the audio track does not have a language specified, so although it might be English, the server isn't aware of that.

Guest Sabiel

That makes sense, but I'm still puzzled.  I'm migrating my libraries at the moment.  My old setup had Emby Server running under Windows.  I haven't yet uninstalled Emby Server from the Windows machine, and here is the media info for the same file from that:

Media Info
VideoCodecH264
AVCYes
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1280x720
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.9760246
Bitrate3404 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames5
NAL4
AudioCodecAC3
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate384 kbps
Sample rate48000 Hz
DefaultYes
TitleDolby Digital 5.1 Default
Containermkv
Path\\NSA325-V2\video\TV\The 100\Season 1\The 100 - S01E07 - Contents Under Pressure.mkv

Again there's no language specified for the audio track, but there was no subtitle file downloaded.  The only difference in my subtitle settings between the two installations is that I only had download enabled for movies in the old one.  Perhaps the language of the audio track is specified in my movie files which is why I never noticed anything like this before although that would take a lot of checking.  I think the simplest thing will be to disable subtitle download for episodes.

Guest Sabiel

Well at least I now know exactly why it happened which is always better.  It's mainly for movies I'd need subtitles downloading.  All the episodes I'd need them for tend to be embedded.

Thanks for the help.