Support for Accelerated transcoding?

Viktikus

Viktikus

Hi there.

Small question:

Does Server implementation support accelerated transcoding like Intel's Quick Sync or nVidias CUDA for Mpeg2/H264/VC1 de- and encoding on the run?

Intel Core i3 3227U based system at mind..

Edited by Viktikus

It has been spoken about that is about as far as we got lol. We have plenty of other things to do atm  ;) and a lot more goodies to be inserted before we even think about speaking about it again.

Not saying never just saying we have a long road to walk before we revisit.

• Like 1

sydlexius

These only address decode.  While useful, encoding is by far more taxing.  There are open feature requests to add quick sync to ffmpeg, as well as experiments with CUDA.  My guess as to why development hasn't moved so quickly is due to the closed nature of the hardware, and only one open standard to leverage.

you dont have hardware acceleration enabled? it what i got from what said so far. it easily enable it built into ffpeg you can enable the dvxa2 for windows and they have like 3 for linux boxes .

Hardware Accelerators bridge

http://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/trunk/group__lavc__codec__hwaccel.html.

• Like 1

Viktikus

But.. for isn't there server using external ffmpeg executable? Does ffmpeg support accelerated video en/decooding by flags as input parameters? This is easy for the server to snoop of running cababilities and then add the flag to ffmpeg kick parameters?

There are file transcoders QSTranscode - 1.0.3.1 that uses QuickSync for decoding/encoding and FFMPEG for container and audio support done with .net, so I believe that can be done eventually

Edited by Viktikus

Tikuf

I am not even going to entertain looking at any hardware acceleration for a long long time. There is still a lot to do in transcoding and until we are happy with what we have adding extra layers of complexity will not happen. If it was as simple as flicking a switch we would have flipped it.

• Like 1

sydlexius

This is best brought up with the developers of ffmpeg.  As I had mentioned before, you'll have a difficult time convincing them or the x264 guys to support "closed" solutions.  Especially the latter group, who care more about high quality encodes than fast ones.  Here's hoping that things improve once h.265/HEVC become popular.

6thstreetfisherman

I figured out how to do it so im all good now. i have solved both my x265 encoding and my hardware accelaration problem as x265 is fully supported in the ffmpeg and the lav codec that was a simple matter of install the current build of both. i use the cli of divx encoder which support 265 or hevc so  i can now encode and decode x265 and save half the space of x264 ... as far as hardware accelartion it only native in the ati cards at the moment with the ffmpeg codec.i find a old api for nivida is seems to be working at the moment alot of the hardware stuff i got by looking and serviio code and xmbc the both support hardware acceleration.

6thstreetfisherman

oh yeah for those that want to look into it the Video Acceleration API (VA API) its is  a non-proprietary and royalty-free  open source software libary.you can get more info a freedesktop.org. it now works with all hardware it use to only work with intel now no works with all comers. i hope it help someone else.