Apple TV 4K Discussion

Jdiesel

Hello,

So to be sure, can I read HEVC (x265) videos from my emby server without transcoding, with the aTV 4k ?

Thank you

It depends on other factors but yes, with the next release of the app.

Hello,

Thank you for ur quick answeer. What do you mean by "other factors" ? When there will be a new version ?

Everything else about the item must allow it to direct play as well (container, audio format, bitrate, etc.).

See: Why is my media transcoding?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just installed Emby on my new Apple TV Gen 5 and it works fine but one thing is bothering me:

Even though i choose Login automatically and remember password Emby asks for password every time i start the app, any suggestions?

Just installed Emby on my new Apple TV Gen 5 and it works fine but one thing is bothering me:

Even though i choose Login automatically and remember password Emby asks for password every time i start the app, any suggestions?

Only reason I can think of would be that the password that is saved is incorrect.  Did you change it?

Try setting it to show the login screen, then force close the app and log in, then set it to remember again.

not at all. I tried to uninstall and reinstall Emby for ATV but same behaviour It wont remember my password.

I think something needs to be fixed in the ATV app making it work with Gen 5.

Well, now i notised that a few of my movies won't play on ATV5.

I plugged the ATV4 in and the movies worked fine.

Obviously there is some fixing required in Emby for ATV so please look into this.

adrianwi

I had a similar problem with the aTV always asking for a password, and when I removed the PIN for that user it started working normally again.  Worth a look?

I had a similar problem with the aTV always asking for a password, and when I removed the PIN for that user it started working normally again.  Worth a look?

That sounds like expected behavior then.

adrianwi

Is it?  If I click on the option to say remember the password, I kind of expect it to remember the password, regardless of whether the user has a PIN or not. 

Sorry I didn't re-update myself on all the back-story, I just mean to say that if you assign an in-network pin, then at the very least you will have to enter a password the first time.

As always we do advise following our guidelines in how to report a problem, which includes opening a new topic for separate issues. It is easy to get confused coming in here and expecting a discussion related to 4K playback. Thanks !

adrianwi

Well for me, and possibly @@peterem, with a PIN set the aTV app was requesting a password every time, even after I'd set it to remember the password and login automatically.

Sorry @@Luke i thought "Apple TV 4K Discussion" were general discussions about the 4K Gen 5 ATV.

I will create an new issue according the guide.

Just to inform you guys, resetting the pin didn't help.

Moved my issue here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/52370-emby-for-apple-tv-5th-generation-autologin/

Edited by peterem

• 3 weeks later...
jscoys

Ok I will do my "Apple fan" for some minutes...

I've always had and Iphone from the 3GS, so since 2009.

Android came a little bit after, and at the beginning it was horrible. The problem for Android was to fit on different hardware, without having any control on them... It leaded (And still leading today) to fucking bad user experiences and here's why: Majority of people wants actually an Iphone, but when they see the price, they check for Android in shops and the seller, who wants absolutely to sell his shit is saying "Buy this one, it's 40$ without engagement and you will have the same features as IPhone", what is totally wrong... They finally get out of the shop with phones from one of the cheapest manufacturers that is already 10 years behind and says to everyone "Pfff don't buy Apple product, with Android you have the same and it's cheaper". They don't have any point of comparison because they didn't use an IPhone for more than 5 seconds in the shop so they don't have any clue of the intuitive, easiness and how much powerful is an IPhone...

For my part, I had the 3GS, 5S and 6 and for each one I kept them for 3 years without changing batteries or other stuff. They never broke, and I sold them after 3 years, excepting the 3GS which has been working for 8 years and still working today! Find an happy owner of a Samsung who could say his phone is working after 3 years. Majority of my Android's friends (I am not sectarian) says that their Samsung is having big issues after one year...

I agree that they didn't invent Face Unlocking and that Android has already had this, but Apple is always going deeper when they implement a feature. It's not only unlocking your phone, but giving the power to use it for other purpose like masks in Snapshat or any apps that could use this to have facial features with motion...

Finally, I'm convinced that if Apple wouldn't had invented the Iphone on 2007, we would still use this king of phone :

samsung-s410i.jpg

Final word, security part: I'm pretty sure you Android lovers are so happy that every of your data are going somewhere on google's datacenters, and I think you will say "Apple is doing that too". I disagree. Last year there was a deal with Apple didn't want to give access to a criminal's Iphone to the FBI, do you remember? Moreover Apple says that they've got difficulties to get Siri as the same level as Google assistant for the contextual conversations (The fact that the assistant is remembering the things you said before and then can better adapt the future answers he's giving to your next questions) because they can't remember your personal data. So we can't say that your data are stored the same way between Google and Apple. And please Android lovers, don't be stupid, nothing is free in this world and they need to make money somewhere...

I know a lot of people will disagree with everything I said, and I'm sorry in advance. It's just my point of view, you're free to get your 40$ Android phone and think you have the equivalent of an Iphone ;-)

https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-x-galaxy-note-8-att/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jscoys

Its an article on a testimony from a journalist wanting to buy a new phone and the experience he had with at&t. Sorry for spamming Luke, I stop right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk