Apple TV 4K Discussion

Jdiesel

Jdiesel

I'm curious to see what formats it supports. I would imagine that H.265 was added at a minimum if it is to support 4K content.

Edit:

Video Formats

H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile

HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p

H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Audio Formats

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound)

Edited by Jdiesel

Very happy they jumped into the future with 4K and 10 bits Colors. Generally they're so prudent that they stay blocked on old technos...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall, and I say that for @@Luke, I think Emby has to think different from Android technology and exploit more Apple stuff. There are so many things to do with the Emby IOS app and Face ID, SIRI... we could imagine that I can unlock my Emby Theatre / Apple TV Emby App with my face from my iPhone X or talk to Siri to ask for a special item to display on my Emby Theatre... a world of possibilities is their, don't miss the train!

unlock with my face

An intruder could forcefully put your face in front of your iphone and thus be able to sign into your emby account.

• Like 2

An intruder could forcefully put your face in front of your iphone and thus be able to sign into your emby account.

Always thinking outside the box :)

Overall, and I say that for @@Luke, I think Emby has to think different from Android technology and exploit more Apple stuff. There are so many things to do with the Emby IOS app and Face ID, SIRI... we could imagine that I can unlock my Emby Theatre / Apple TV Emby App with my face from my iPhone X or talk to Siri to ask for a special item to display on my Emby Theatre... a world of possibilities is their, don't miss the train!

We will exploit them as much and as fast as we can in the line of priority.  At this point, we have to pay attention to Android as it is a much larger platform.

• Like 1

Very happy they jumped into the future with 4K and 10 bits Colors. Generally they're so prudent that they stay blocked on old technos...

I didn't watch the announcement but I imagine they made it sound like they invented it (like face unlock) ;).

I am happy they do have a 4K model finally though and we will look to take advantage of it as quickly as possible.

• Like 2

Jdiesel

No DTS support, that's a let down. Not looking good for live tv either, mpeg2 interlaced content at least.

Agree but an intruder will be able to access your credit card with your face, so no offense, but your movies list he doesn't care...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't watch the announcement but I imagine they made it sound like they invented it (like face unlock) ;).

I am happy they do have a 4K model finally though and we will look to take advantage of it as quickly as possible.

I don't want to enter this debate because I really think it's a never ending battle ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Burrito78

Even AppleTV 4 (along with macOS, iPhone and iPad) gets native H.265 support with iOS 11.

But of course an Apple TV will never be a "eats everything" device...transcoding is mandatory for playback of Dolby TrueHD, DTS...to get that playback capabilities you need a Kodi Box or go with Infuse on the Apple TV.

For me the real interesting thing would be dynamic refresh rate switching on Apple TV 5 - i think it won't happen though.

Edited by Burrito78

Will there be a HDR and 4K support for the ATV5?

I'm curious to see what formats it supports. I would imagine that H.265 was added at a minimum if it is to support 4K content.

Edit:

Video Formats

H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile

HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p

H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Audio Formats

HE-AAC (V1), AAC (up to 320 Kbps), protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Apple Lossless, FLAC, AIFF, and WAV; AC-3 (Dolby Digital 5.1) and E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 surround sound)

We do but the Apple TV doesn't.

A colleague told me that he is able to use DTS with Infuse......

Is it possible to hear the sound due to a conversion or is the result that I do not have any sound?

Edited by Nightx

Burrito78

Infuse can output DTS as bitstream or decode and output PCM audio.

The difference between Emby and Infuse on AppleTV is that Emby uses the Apple TV playback engine which can only play the formats supported by the Apple TV and Infuse uses a custom playback engine (think VLC) that plays almost everything out of the box (but you need a Pro account for DTS support because of licensing costs).

Is it possible to hear the sound due to a conversion or is the result that I do not have any sound?

We will convert it to Dolby Digital automatically.

Ok I will do my "Apple fan" for some minutes...

I've always had and Iphone from the 3GS, so since 2009.

Android came a little bit after, and at the beginning it was horrible. The problem for Android was to fit on different hardware, without having any control on them... It leaded (And still leading today) to fucking bad user experiences and here's why: Majority of people wants actually an Iphone, but when they see the price, they check for Android in shops and the seller, who wants absolutely to sell his shit is saying "Buy this one, it's 40$ without engagement and you will have the same features as IPhone", what is totally wrong... They finally get out of the shop with phones from one of the cheapest manufacturers that is already 10 years behind and says to everyone "Pfff don't buy Apple product, with Android you have the same and it's cheaper". They don't have any point of comparison because they didn't use an IPhone for more than 5 seconds in the shop so they don't have any clue of the intuitive, easiness and how much powerful is an IPhone...

For my part, I had the 3GS, 5S and 6 and for each one I kept them for 3 years without changing batteries or other stuff. They never broke, and I sold them after 3 years, excepting the 3GS which has been working for 8 years and still working today! Find an happy owner of a Samsung who could say his phone is working after 3 years. Majority of my Android's friends (I am not sectarian) says that their Samsung is having big issues after one year...

I agree that they didn't invent Face Unlocking and that Android has already had this, but Apple is always going deeper when they implement a feature. It's not only unlocking your phone, but giving the power to use it for other purpose like masks in Snapshat or any apps that could use this to have facial features with motion...

Finally, I'm convinced that if Apple wouldn't had invented the Iphone on 2007, we would still use this king of phone :

samsung-s410i.jpg

Final word, security part: I'm pretty sure you Android lovers are so happy that every of your data are going somewhere on google's datacenters, and I think you will say "Apple is doing that too". I disagree. Last year there was a deal with Apple didn't want to give access to a criminal's Iphone to the FBI, do you remember? Moreover Apple says that they've got difficulties to get Siri as the same level as Google assistant for the contextual conversations (The fact that the assistant is remembering the things you said before and then can better adapt the future answers he's giving to your next questions) because they can't remember your personal data. So we can't say that your data are stored the same way between Google and Apple. And please Android lovers, don't be stupid, nothing is free in this world and they need to make money somewhere...

I know a lot of people will disagree with everything I said, and I'm sorry in advance. It's just my point of view, you're free to get your 40$ Android phone and think you have the equivalent of an Iphone ;-)

Solid Android user here for the last 6 years.

I've only ever bought official Google devices, mainly Nexus (4, 5, 6, 10 and Player).

The iPhones do as they do as they are only allowed to do what Apple say they can do.

I personally would feel restricted in what I could do, which is why I chose Android, as it's more open. Yes, the early devices weren't very good, but over the years they have got better every year.

I don't have an issue with Google having access to my data, as they in return provide me with a great user experience.

I don't care who did what first, or if a particular iPhone is better than my current Android phone (Nexus 6), but I am happy with what I chose and I will continue to recommend Android over Apple to anyone who asks.

:)

• Like 1

Apple has always excelled at beautiful interface (and device for that matter) design and ease of use.  They do fall down in a lot of other areas but those two things make them very successful in the mass market.

However, let's keep this discussion on track with the new Apple TV 4k.  I apologize if I started this :).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
sleeplessone

Curious if anyone has gotten any HVEC video to playback without transcoding.  Did some testing with Planet Earth 2.  MKV version reported container, video and audio formats unsupported (audio was DTS).  Remuxing to MP4 reported video and audio, codecs unsupported.  Preconverted the audio to AC3 and now only video is reported as unsupported.  FFMpeg when I was remuxing showed the video stream info as follows

Stream #0:0(eng): Video: hevc (Main 10), yuv420p10le(tv, bt2020nc/bt2020/smpte2084), 3840x2160, SAR 1:1 DAR 16:9, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 25 tbc (default)

Edit: Saw an update for the FreeNAS emby plugin so I'm guessing that is why it's not detecting HVEC compatible.  Downloading to test now.

Still getting Video codec not supported on 3.2.32

Edited by sleeplessone