People metadata

boxtor

Although I'm using Emby on unRAID, this is likely a general question.

Where is the data associated with people stored in Emby and not just the images?

Happy2Play

So it there is some corruption, I would need to go in and manually to to fix it?

What issue are you having?

I've posted a few items in the Linux forum.  I have actors that exist, but cannot be used due to either being matched incorrectly or have leading white space in the names or have been renamed.  At this point there is no way that I know of to clean it up and use those names.  I've had to mangle names in order to attach them to shows.

Also, I would like to rename some actors, but I can create a new actor if one of the other behaviors above doesn't prevent me.

I was looking for API's to automate or interact with Emby for this, but it looks like there isn't a public API available.  Ultimately, I would like to create TV shows, seasons, episodes, actors, and link them together without using the GUI.  At the moment, I'm using a partial approach where I update season.nfo and episode NFO files after the initial library scan and then refresh the metadata.  Unfortunately, there is only a way to create a new and person and not other data to that person besides role.

We do have an API, we're just not always able to spend as much time documenting it as we would like. But we have info here about getting started:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/wiki

as well as api libraries that can be used for reference:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.ApiClient.Javascript

Unfortunately, there is only a way to create a new and person and not other data to that person besides role.

This isn't quite true. As you know, person is a shared object that can belong to multiple media items. That's why when when you edit the cast list for a person, all you enter is the name and role. If you want to edit that person's biography, you can do that from the person detail screen.

Does this help?

I know about the detail screen.  I meant when adding a new actor during the scan of the NFO file (season, show, episode) where all I can specify is name or role.  I currently use the person detail screen and add images to update the information, but that's a manual step.  This is one of the things I was hoping the use an API for as well as populating season and episode information.

With respect to the API, it would be nice to see a Python example and not necessarily as an app, but for basic things like adding a poster, creating or modifying a person, or adding information to a show.  I'm looking for a way to avoid needing to bulk edit or mass populate data manually.

Even with the complaints in this thread, Emby is still much better to deal with in these aspects than Plex.

We have chosen to adopt kodi nfo format and that's the only information that goes into the nfo.

I think it's the right approach anyway. If you had Tom Cruise in two different movies, you wouldn't want him to have two different biographies, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

If you have Tom Cruise in 2 separate movies, you can link him in each movie, but the details of Tom Cruise are automatically retrieved elsewhere.  I was thinking of a way to define the details of Tom Cruise through an Emby API or file such that the information will exist later.

Obviously this wouldn't apply to Tom Cruise, but people who aren't available through the supported API's.