Ember Freezing During Playback

Scott310

Scott310

Hey there,

I am experiencing this issue with Emby as well but didn't really seem to get much support for it.  @@Luke just said that he is not seeing this issue and that he will do more testing.  Being as how I use Ember now more lately than ET I thought I would pose the question to @@7illusions to see if you can help.  For the most part it seems like the freezing usually only happens when the audio is being remuxed.  I have had a couple of freezes while the a movie is direct playing but its more rare.  This has been happening for months now. I am about ready to go back to having a dedicated HTPC or convert all of my files so they direct play.  The interesting this is If I DLNA the video to the xbox one it plays perfectly without fail every time.  But if I use ember or Emby I get freezes constantly.

Below is a video of what I am experiencing.  With this particular movie it happens at the same spot every time.

(please disregard my son banging his toy in the background) lol

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8PF3WWw7dsbMURkNnVPVzZxY1U

I have also attached the media info for the file.  Please let me know if you need me to post any logs.

post-4444-0-82118200-1504889142_thumb.png

Scott310

There is also the issue I experienced the other day that I posted on the Emby Theater thread where the movie stopped half way through and said the video could not be decoded.

7illusions

Can you post the mediainfo of the File being played? (Use the mediainfo from the webclient, Ember is still lacking this. )

7illusions

Wish I looked at the attached picture.. :)

(In a holiday in Spain, so my brain is apparently off duty atm)

7illusions

There's an option to enable bitstream of the audio which, theoretically, should direct play that file. Can you try that and see if you get a freeze at the same position?

Scott310

Thanks for your replies.  I'll be able to try changing the bit stream setting first thing in the morning.  If I recall correctly I think I may have tried that before and I got no audio after doing that.  But I will check in the morning to be sure.

Scott310

Ok so when I choose the DTS pass through I get no sound at all.  I assume that's because the current set up I am playing it on is Xbox One via HDMI Audio to to the tv and then optical audio out to a bose cinemate soundbar.  The xbox will only allow me to choose stereo due to this setup.  But I was also experiencing this issue with a DTS capable receiver with optical audio out from the xbox one.  

@@Happy2Play When I play the file the dashboard says that it is direct streaming. See attached image.

Thanks for the help guys!

post-4444-0-69033300-1504979044_thumb.png

7illusions

There's a discrepancy in what I call direct streaming and what Emby calls it..

I do think that the server is producing a transcoded stream with the videostream untouched but audio transcoded into ac3..

When you play the file with forced DTS (and without hearing anything) does it still freeze at the same position?

The reason I wonder is because that setting should really give you a real Direct Stream, eg. The source file untouched. It's just so that I know where to start looking.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

If you look in the servers log folder you should see "ffmpeg-remux-xxx" file that will show what the audio is being converted to.

• Like 1

Scott310

I'll try and play the file again like you asked and see if it freezes in the same spot.  As I've said before the freezes usually only happen when Ember is trying to remux the DTS.  I'll check the logs to but I assume its being converted to AC3.  9 times out of 10 if I play a movie that is is AC3 it play through just fine.  I only had one or two freezes when it was direct playing AC3.  But If its DTs it will most certainly freeze at some point.

Scott310

Ok so I switched it to DTS passthru and the movie played through to the end without fail. As another test I took the same movie and converted the audio from DTS to AC3 and the newly converted file played through to the end as well.

7illusions

The freezes seems to be a serverside issue since both ember and emby freeze at the same place.

I will try to reproduce this, just need to get a file with the same criterias.

• 3 weeks later...
Scott310

Hey there,

I was just checking in to see if you have come up with a miracle for me? I just can't believe that for some reason I am the only one with this issue. This has been going on for months ever since the creators update. Since the freeze happens on both the PC and Xbox version of the app do you think there might be a possibility of it being a server issue? Would there be a possible benefit of uninstalling and reinstalling the server? I would like to avoid that if I could. I would lose and the watched statuses and most of the configurations.

I am also about to just throw my hands up and use the popcorn audio converter to batch convert all of my DTS files to add an AC3 track. But if I do that I have one question. Does the Xbox One allow DTS passthru to a DTS capable receiver over optical SPDIF cable if I enable the DTS direct stream in your app? Or does only the Xbox one S allow this?

Question number 2: If a movie has two tracks, AC3 and DTS and the default is set to AC3, is there a way for the app to recognize that the movie has a DTS track and that it can pass it through without transcoding so it will pick the second track instead of the default when starting a movie if the direct stream is enabled?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Scott310

Yes!!  The fall update that I received last night appears to have fixed the freezing issue. I played a few files that always froze in the exact same spot every time.  They each played through without fail!

• 5 months later...