Emby Theater loses display signal after use.

Dan68

Emby Server 3.2.30.0

Emby Theater 2.8.3

I have researched and found articles about emby theater blacking out on NVIDIA cards.  I have attempted to try some solutions none work, that I have found.

Now let me tell you about the setup I am running, the symptoms, and my thoughts about possible issues.

I have multiple machines (windows 10 64bit running emby.  The server is obviously running on one.  That is not the issue. 

Machine 1 (with server, Nvidia dual, (SLI) GTX 1080 hybrid (liquid cooled)vid cards, Also gaming machine) not issue

Machine 2.  windows 10 64bit NVIDIA Titan hybrid (liquid cooled).  THIS IS THE PROBLEM MACHINE. Running Emby theater, 3 video outputs, dual DVI, and HDMI to LCD 70" screen. I have also connected via HDMI.

Emby Server Dashboard on this machine also, to access the server on the other machine.

I am running auto updates and the latest software for theater, and server.

PROBLEM.  Theater runs fine for about an hour or two on the problem machine, then it blacks out.   The blue power button on the display turns yellow, that is telling me there is no display signal on the monitor, then it also states no dsplay signal, also the LCD tv states signal loss.

The Hard Drive on the machine continues to get lit, I end up hard restarting the machine, Then it works fine then goes through the same issue again.

One thing i did notice  I also have emby dashboard installed on the second computer,  If i play the movie through that it works fine, It only does it in Emby Theater.  They must use different players, because my wireless headphones have player controls on them,  The controls work with Emby theater, but do not in the Emby Server mode.  In Emby server, only the volume controls work. So obviously, the controls\program is different between theater and server players. That is why I like the Theater option better, my controls work for remote playing.

I have restarted, updated, checked for screen saver timeouts (which there maybe some that I did not find, between monitor, windows, NVIDIA etc)

I have used Emby for years, love it, but this one has me pulling what little hair i have left out on it.

Still, thanks for the great program.

Dan

Edited by Dan68

stettler

PROBLEM.  Theater runs fine for about an hour or two on the problem machine, then it blacks out.   The blue power button on the display turns yellow, that is telling me there is no display signal on the monitor, then it also states no dsplay signal, also the LCD tv states signal loss.

Is your computer still working when that happend or did Windows crashed? Leave a keyboard connected to it and when that happen, try to do a ctrl+alt+del. Is anything happening? You could also try to install something like "TeamViewer host" on it and use the full version of TeamViewer, on your other computer, to connect to it. That way you will see if the problem is with the display or the whole computer is crashed.

When you say "3 video outputs", do you mean you have 3 monitors/TV connected to your video card? Or that the card has 3 plugs? If you only have your TV connected to the card, you could make a test by replacing it with a normal computer monitor.

Video cards without a VGA (analog) port need to receive a list of resolution/refresh from the TV/monitor or Windows will default to 800x600 (or something like that). Monitors will always provide that information even when turned off. Most TV won't provide that information when turned off. When that happen, that cause all kind of weird things if ET is open in full screen.

Thanks again Stettler.

Replied yesterday through Outlook.   Don't know if you got it.  I will reply though the web browser.  That way if the problem can be figured out it may help others. While browsing the forum.  there are A LOT of NVIDIA problems. If you didn't get what i sent yesterday. On my EVGA Titan video card I have 5 outputs 1 DVI, 3 Display ports, and 1 HDMI.  I am using 3 of them 1 DVI to monitor, 1 display port, converted to DVI for monitor #2, and the HDMI that is going to the 70' flat screen.  No there is no VGA monitor output on the card. 

Ran a test today.  Watched a couple of shows on the flat screen.  I did not run the screen as full screen, I just ran it so it almost fit the screen and left the task bar displayed on the bottom.  It ran for about 3 hours, then the display went black on the flat screen.  Then it dispayed "No Signal".  I verified this also on the other 2 monitors, no signal.  The computer was still running because the audio continued playing on headphones.  Also, the Hard drive was still active.  So it appears as if the display is what lost signal and the computer was still working.  I tried ctrl-alt-del.  There was no response. also i tried to run the controls from the headphones, (ie stop etc), again no response.  The only option i had at this point was to hit the reset button on the computer.  The computer restarted and it was again operational.

It appears to drop the display signal, also no controls, but the computer seems to be running in the background.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

stettler

No, I didn't received your mail sorry.

If you have a computer monitor connected to one of the video card output, it should be ok even when you turn off your TV. But if the monitor doesn't handle the resolution of your TV screen, Windows may switch of resolution when the TV is off and (try to) switch back when you turn the TV on. That may result in weird stuff  with how ET and full screen is handled. The computer may seem to hang but that's not the case: it's just that what is displayed is outside of the desktop area of Windows so you can't see the mouse pointer or anything.

Drive activity led is not a good information: If the computer is on, there may be drive activity even if the computer is stuck. If you can't ctr+alt+del at all (or alt+tab or anything else) then the OS is probably crashed / very badly unresponsive.  Happened to me recently and, imho, it's a hardware problem with the computer itself (and probably not the video card). It could be the OS (if you have a spare disk, you could try to install a new Windows on it with just ET to make a test) but when I had a similar problem, it wasn't the case. (And it was not the nvidial card: I put it in another computer and it was ok)

I am running 2 machines.  One machine handles regular stuff.  Has a top of line Ttian X hybrid (liquid cooled) that is the one that has the issue.  

My gaming machine is TOP OF THE LINE 

The other gaming machine with the server on it.

Option #1 load it on the other gaming machine (with server) "The Beast"

Intel i7-5960x duo-octacore (16 processors at overclocked to 4ghz)

DDR5 64gb running at 3ghz

Dual pascal GTX-1080 hybrids (liquid cooled) running in SLI

Asus Rampage V extreme MB with A99 chipset

SSD 2tbye

Acer predator x34  "34" curved gaming screen running at 4k

If this doesn't run it, Nothing will.

Is there an issue running ET on the same machine with the Emby Server?

I am sure this is nothing but to keep in mind.  Even though my Emby server is run off the gaming machine, all data is stored on a Synology Disk Station NAS.

Option #2

Or do you think I should just throw another HD in the ET machine, I have a bunch of 2tb barracudas laying around.

Appreciate the help, any suggestions?

Edited by Dan68

stettler

You don't need such hardware to play video. Even with some pretty fancy MadVR configuration, you don't need such a GPU and CPU won't really matter. Anyway, if it couldn't handle your setting, you would see frames drop. Your computer just wouldn't freeze. As I said, it sound more like a hardware problem. It could be the PSU that is going bad (easy enough to test with another), over-heating or some other hardware problem. It could also be a problem with your Windows but I kinda doubt it. If you want to test, install Windows on a spare disk (don't even need to activate it), the drivers and do all update. Then install ET and test.

ET will run on a celeron or i3 based NUC with only integrated gpu. You need to disable most filters and use hw acceleration but it will run. An i3 with a gtx 1050 TI will run MadVR with most  resources hungry filters activated (I am mentioning this gpu because that's the most powerful card that can be found in low-profile version and run from the pci-e power only). Anything more is not needed to play video.

Oh and do yourself a favor and stop the overclocking: it's not going make any kind of difference with the hardware you have (it's probably using less than 20% cpu) and just increase system instability.

I'm having a similar problem, except my screen blacks out in ET after about 10 minutes. After that, the computer is toast. No video, no sound, ctrl+alt+dlt does nothing. Only thing that works is the power light stays on. My remote access software shows it as off line, so I can't remote into it in this state either. I have to hard reset to turn it off and then it boots up normally.

I've tested playback from Emby Home via the Edge Browser and it plays fine for as long as I want. As soon as I use Emby Theater, it dies after 10 minutes.

I also have been using Emby for several years and this is the first major issue that I've experienced. I'm currently on Server Version 3.2.30.0 (the issue was happening on the previous version as well).  I'm using Emby Theater 2.8.3 and the issue was also happening on the previous version of ET. I just checked the logs and there's only info in there from today when I has playing from the browser. I'm not sure the logs were available from the crashes, but I'll let it happen again if you think it will create on I can send in. I also have an Nvidia card (GeForce GT 430). It's older, but I've never had a problem with it. I'm also on Windows 10.

I'm pretty sure this happened thru DLNA as well. The last couple of times I tried to play a movie through the Emby app from my Amazon Fire Stick, the movie stopped after about 10 minutes and the computer went into the same state as above. I didn't think of that until just now since it was a few weeks before I noticed it from Emby Theater.

Thanks,

Todd

I'm having a similar problem, except my screen blacks out in ET after about 10 minutes. After that, the computer is toast. No video, no sound, ctrl+alt+dlt does nothing. Only thing that works is the power light stays on. My remote access software shows it as off line, so I can't remote into it in this state either. I have to hard reset to turn it off and then it boots up normally.

I've tested playback from Emby Home via the Edge Browser and it plays fine for as long as I want. As soon as I use Emby Theater, it dies after 10 minutes.

I also have been using Emby for several years and this is the first major issue that I've experienced. I'm currently on Server Version 3.2.30.0 (the issue was happening on the previous version as well).  I'm using Emby Theater 2.8.3 and the issue was also happening on the previous version of ET. I just checked the logs and there's only info in there from today when I has playing from the browser. I'm not sure the logs were available from the crashes, but I'll let it happen again if you think it will create on I can send in. I also have an Nvidia card (GeForce GT 430). It's older, but I've never had a problem with it. I'm also on Windows 10.

I'm pretty sure this happened thru DLNA as well. The last couple of times I tried to play a movie through the Emby app from my Amazon Fire Stick, the movie stopped after about 10 minutes and the computer went into the same state as above. I didn't think of that until just now since it was a few weeks before I noticed it from Emby Theater.

Thanks,

Todd

Are Emby Theater and Emby Server on the same machine?

Unfortunately I don't see any playback activity in any of the three logs. I would suggest trying again and then immediately capture the log file from that time period. thanks !

The attached file was 50mb and growing when I started playback in ET at 10:14pm central. It crashed at approximately 10:25. When the computer booted up from restart, Emby had started a new server log, so the one that is uploaded with this post is definitely the log file during playback and crash.

Thanks again for looking into this.

​Todd

server-63640944002.txt

Unfortunatley no. If the entire machine is crashing that sounds to me like a problem with your Windows installation, or a potential hardware failure.

Okay. Thanks. I'll go the hardware route and see what I can see. Great fun to diagnose that stuff when you don't have easy access to the innards of the computer.

• 2 weeks later...
kugumby

I haven't gotten around to diagnosing hardware, however, I did update the nvidia driver to the newest available. I played the file directly from the Movies & TV app from Windows10 (double clicked on the movie) and it played without issue. As soon as I tried to play it from Emby Theater, it plays for about 10 minutes and then locks the computer. Why would it play fine when bypassing Emby Server but lock up the computer using Emby Server (via Emby Theater)?

I looked at the Emby Server log as well and there's nothing in there indicating a halt in playback. The log just stops with the lines:

2017-10-03 22:27:33.688 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.1.25. Time: 3ms. http://192.168.1.25:8096/emby/Sessions/Playing/Progress

Any thoughts?

Note: Looking at the Event Viewer, there was an application error at 10:22, but the crash happened at 10:27. Below is the error:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Windows Error Reporting
Date:          10/3/2017 10:22:45 PM
Event ID:      1001
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      HTPC
Description:
Fault bucket 129544882118, type 5
Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
Problem signature:
P1: MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
P2: 3.2.30.0
P3: 10.0.15063.2.0.0
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:
Attached files:
\\?\C:\Users\gilmore\AppData\Local\Temp\RDRC6C7.tmp\empty.txt
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC6C8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC6F6.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC726.tmp.txt
These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 2c271598-3fc2-4872-ae5c-f64192c8a921
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: ceb1bf59959fc3c85dde7ccf542d91af
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-10-04T03:22:45.714090200Z" />
    <EventRecordID>618</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>HTPC</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>129544882118</Data>
    <Data>5</Data>
    <Data>RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64</Data>
    <Data>Not available</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe</Data>
    <Data>3.2.30.0</Data>
    <Data>10.0.15063.2.0.0</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
\\?\C:\Users\gilmore\AppData\Local\Temp\RDRC6C7.tmp\empty.txt
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC6C8.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC6F6.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERC726.tmp.txt</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>2c271598-3fc2-4872-ae5c-f64192c8a921</Data>
    <Data>268435456</Data>
    <Data>ceb1bf59959fc3c85dde7ccf542d91af</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>
Edited by kugumby

We are using mpv which is an ffmpeg based video player, Movies & TV is using windows media foundation so it is not quite a direct comparison.

kugumby

Understood. But would it follow that it is an issue with Emby and not necessarily a hardware problem? What would be the next steps to diagnose an Emby issue?