Android 8.0.0 - Wont Cast to Chromecast

mizzery85
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

mizzery85
Hello, I'm having a problem casting from my Pixel XL to my Chromcast Ultra. When i hit the cast button on my Pixel XL running 8.0.0 within the Emby app, my Chromecast does not show up. If I go to a Windows 10 machine and login to the Emby Server and then hit the cast button within Chrome (on the emby webpage) i can see my Chromecast. I also tried from a Pixel that is running Android 7.1.2 and this worked. I can only think the Emby support team needs to update their App to support Android 8.0.0. I'm hoping someone else is experiencing this or has a fix for it.

Below is all of my information and troubleshooting steps.

Troubleshooting Steps:

rebooted chromecast ultra

rebooted pixel xl

uninstalled and reinstalled emby for android

rebooted the emby server

Chromecast Ultra

System Firmware Version:  92486

Cast Firmware Version:  1.26.92486

Pixel XL

Running Android 8.0.0

Emby for Android version 2.9.51

Emby Server

Running on Synology

Version 3.2.30.0

• Like 1

goldsworthy1

I am having the same issue, since upgrading to Android 8.0.0 can no longer cast Emby to Chromecast, all other programs still cast fine.

• Like 1

A new release is up to resolve this. Thanks guys.

Hello Luke, I already have the latest version of android app and server on the PC. However, I still have the same problem. Unable to cast to chromecast. Any other thing to suggest?

• Like 1

"Me too"

Server version 3.2.30.16 beta on Windows.
Chromecast 1, cast firmware 1.26.94286

Chromecast 2, cast firmware ??

Nexus 6P, Android 8.0 Oreo, App version 2.9.53

Nexus 5X, Android 7.1.2 Nougat, App version 2.9.53

Several days ago (after upgrading to Oreo), I could not see either of my Chromecasts at all in the devices dropdown. Attempted to cast using Chrome Mobile, got "Ready to Cast", but playing anything gave a loading wheel forever.

In this app version, I can see the Chromecasts, but get the same behavior (ready/loading). Display mirroring doesn't appear to work either (backdrop stays grey/black).

Tested the current version on my wife's phone (the 5X) still on Nougat, and it does the same thing ... I wanted to blame Oreo before, but this tends to rule it out.

I confirmed I can play the same media file in the app, so its not a server-side/permission issue.

@@BowlesCR, your issue is actually separate from this topic. It sounds like the app is able to connect to your chromecast just fine, but once connected, the Chromecast is not able to reach your Emby Server.

When you connect to the server using the app, what server address are you using? thanks.

Fair point, apologies for thread-jacking then... feel free to split my post into its own thread if you'd like.

I've done the manual setup in the app, referencing the server via DNS: https://jagular . chris . bowlesfamily . us/, Port 8920. I've configured the External Domain and Report HTTPS settings in the server accordingly. In case it's relevant, that hostname is configured with working IPv4/v6 dual-stack.

My router supports hairpinning, and doesn't do anything creative like rewriting the DNS reply.

Fair point, apologies for thread-jacking then... feel free to split my post into its own thread if you'd like.

I've done the manual setup in the app, referencing the server via DNS: https://jagular . chris . bowlesfamily . us/, Port 8920. I've configured the External Domain and Report HTTPS settings in the server accordingly. In case it's relevant, that hostname is configured with working IPv4/v6 dual-stack.

My router supports hairpinning, and doesn't do anything creative like rewriting the DNS reply.

It could be one of two problems. First, what is the SSL cert? You need to make sure it is a cert that Chromecast will not reject because we have no way of overriding that. And then the other one is it could be the dns resolution, which should be OK if it's external DNS resolution, but I'm mentioning it just in case. 

To isolate the problem I would suggest trying a connection over plain http.

Boom, it was the cert... it was still using self-signed waiting for me to get around to setting things up for LetsEncrypt... dropped a cert on and it fired right up.

Did Chromecast recently start enforcing that, or did I twiddle the "Report HTTPS" setting and totally forget about it?

In any case, thanks for your help and the excellent software.

It's always been that way, and now we no longer allow new users to check that box unless they provide their own cert. Thanks for the feedback.