Setting up Emby for remote access

all4dom

Guest asrequested

I got it. Doofus if u were here I would give u a big kiss.........thanks.

Ha! uuuuummm....how about a beer? :D

I'm glad you've got it working :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
asillato

I realize this is an old thread, but I am having issues remotely connecting to my server via the IOS app.  I have setup emby connect and can see the server in the app.  When I select the server and then select connect, I get the spinning wheel and then a failure to connect message.  

I have attempted to setup port forwarding.  Using an ASUS RT-ACRH13 Router.  My ISP is using some sort of GNAT config and tells me that I need a static IP for an extra cost.  Under hosting in the dashboard I have allow remote connections to the server checked.  I followed the steps in this thread to setup port forwarding.  Any Ideas?

Happy2Play

I realize this is an old thread, but I am having issues remotely connecting to my server via the IOS app.  I have setup emby connect and can see the server in the app.  When I select the server and then select connect, I get the spinning wheel and then a failure to connect message.  

I have attempted to setup port forwarding.  Using an ASUS RT-ACRH13 Router.  My ISP is using some sort of GNAT config and tells me that I need a static IP for an extra cost.  Under hosting in the dashboard I have allow remote connections to the server checked.  I followed the steps in this thread to setup port forwarding.  Any Ideas?

As far as I know there is no way around this.

BAlGaInTl

You can try a reverse tunnel. But I don't really understand it.

There are some commercial products like ngrok (they have a free tier) that can create a secure tunnel that will work behind CGNAT.

https://ngrok.com/product

Not sure how it behaves with Emby.

BAlGaInTl

You may be able to do it with a VPN service as well if you have one that will allow you to forward ports.

rliepins

I did the port forwarding thing in the past but got paranoid. Lots of nasty stuff out there but make sure you do SSL.

What I ended up doing is I VPN into my router (Ubiquiti USG) and then run Emby as normal. I don’t really experience performance issues. It just works...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

McAfee antivirus software protects your personal data from viruses and malware. It prevents inappropriate content from entering your computer, and this antivirus also monitors the incoming and outgoing networks. The McAfee antivirus is reliable and secures your social networking sites and online transaction information. For downloading, installing, and activating the McAfee antivirus, go to its online site that is mcafee.com/activate.

Is this spam @@ebr

• 6 months later...
amazon_devil

Hi All,
I know this is an old thread but I'm having issues with the remote setup.

I'm running Norton 360.

I have tried the default port, and tried a custom port.  I have a preferred IP set for my server on my router, and have added a rule to Norton 360's traffic rules.  I have made sure that Windows Firewall is also allowing the port/traffic communication.

Despite all this, I still cannot access the server outside of my local network, even when using Emby Connect.  When I select the server from the list and tell it to connect, it spins and spins and then gives an error "Failure to Connect".

Any ideas/help?

mastrmind11

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread but I'm having issues with the remote setup.

I'm running Norton 360.

I have tried the default port, and tried a custom port.  I have a preferred IP set for my server on my router, and have added a rule to Norton 360's traffic rules.  I have made sure that Windows Firewall is also allowing the port/traffic communication.

Despite all this, I still cannot access the server outside of my local network, even when using Emby Connect.  When I select the server from the list and tell it to connect, it spins and spins and then gives an error "Failure to Connect".

Any ideas/help?

I assume you've also forwarded the appropriate port on your router?

amazon_devil

I assume you've also forwarded the appropriate port on your router?

Yes, and tried various different configurations of ports, tried turning on and off the auto port mapping option, but no matter which port I opened, when I use the port checking tools I found online, it always says the ports are still closed.

jordy

Have you tried briefly shutting down the firewall and testing the port. That will either eliminate or identify that as the culprit.  Also try https://whatismyip.com this will confirm that you are using the correct external (wan) IP.

amazon_devil

Yeah, have tried turning off the firewall completely and have looked up my WAN.  Now, I don't know if this matters, but the WAN on my router is different to that when I do look up my WAN online.

I've recently changed providers and don't know if that has anything to do with it.

jordy

Your wan/external IP address in Emby MUST match your actual external IP address as reported by whatismyip.com

Does your provider give you a fixed IP address? IF NOT, you might need to run a Dynamic DNS service as your IP will generally change whenever your reboot your router. There are plenty around, some are free NO-IP, DuckDNS and others. This will automatically update your external IP address within minutes of it changing, you simply replace your external IP in Emby with your dns address. which would be something like 'username.ddns.org' or similar.

If you are using a VPN, this will not work because the DDNS will be returning your VPN IP address which doesn't work for incoming requests for obvious reasons. So in this case you will need to use another pc - without a VPN - to run the ddns updater to get around this.

amazon_devil

So the WAN/External IP in Emby, matches that which I find when searching for my IP in google/whatismyip.com etc. - it's just not the same as what my router says.

No my provider doesn't give me a fixed IP, but I did try with a DNS but that didn't seem to work either - I'm no expert though, so there's a chance I could have done it wrong, but registration and all came back as successful.  I tried inputting those details into Emby, restarted PC and Emby and still no luck.

I don't run a VPN on the computer itself.  Occasionally I'll run a VPN specifically on a browser window, but not the computer.

jordy

So try using the ip address your router says. That shouldn't be happening though. Does Norton 360 have an inbuilt VPN. I don't know of any other way in which your external IP can be different to what your outer is telling you...

amazon_devil

I don't know how to change the external IP itself in emby. - I know how to change the port but not the IP.

As for Norton 360, I don't believe it does - although if it does it's not something I have configured or played with ever.

jordy

try disabling Norton and then go to whatismyip.com, that will tell you if it's interfering with it.

To change Emby's external address, go to the "Network" page, scroll down until you see, "External Domain" put your external IP or DDNS address in here.

Also, make sure that you have the "Allow Remote Connections to this Emby Server" box checked. If it isn't, you will not be able to connect from outside your LAN

EDIT: Don;t forget to scroll down to the bottom and hit "Save" afterwards

EDIT 2: Also, for the time being, make sure that the "Secure Connection Mode" is set to "Diasbled", you'll need to change this if you set up a reverse proxy etc.

Edited by jordy

mastrmind11

the fact that your router is displaying a different IP is definitely an issue.  Have you tried factory resetting your router and getting it to pick up the correct IP?

amazon_devil

try disabling Norton and then go to whatismyip.com, that will tell you if it's interfering with it.

To change Emby's external address, go to the "Network" page, scroll down until you see, "External Domain" put your external IP or DDNS address in here.

Also, make sure that you have the "Allow Remote Connections to this Emby Server" box checked. If it isn't, you will not be able to connect from outside your LAN

EDIT: Don;t forget to scroll down to the bottom and hit "Save" afterwards

EDIT 2: Also, for the time being, make sure that the "Secure Connection Mode" is set to "Diasbled", you'll need to change this if you set up a reverse proxy etc.

Ok - tried all that, still no luck.

the fact that your router is displaying a different IP is definitely an issue.  Have you tried factory resetting your router and getting it to pick up the correct IP?

I factory reset the router when I changed ISP's.  I'll try it again however and see if there was a lag in the network on assigning/registering my WAN or something (I don't really know, lol)

jordy

Ok - tried all that, still no luck.

I factory reset the router when I changed ISP's.  I'll try it again however and see if there was a lag in the network on assigning/registering my WAN or something (I don't really know, lol)

Last resort, call your provider and ask them what your correct IP is. If they supplied the router you should ask them to fix or replace it.

amazon_devil

Last resort, call your provider and ask them what your correct IP is. If they supplied the router you should ask them to fix or replace it.

Unfortunately they didn't provide the router, however when I try to ping the WAN address that is showing on my router it is not successful.  I've also just performed a full factory reset and the same issue of mismatched WAN/External IP is present.

*Facepalm* I just want it to work so I can get rid of Plex! :(

jordy

Do you have access to another router? Can you borrow one to test with? Can't think of anything else. It still might be worthwhile asking your provider, you never know they might have a solution :)

EDIT, Usually, providers provide setup instructions for their connections, have you checked them out - if available? it might be just something simple...

Edited by jordy

jordy

One more thought, routers have an inbuilt firewall, have you checked that out? Maybe that's causing the problem.

Marc_G

Unfortunately they didn't provide the router, however when I try to ping the WAN address that is showing on my router it is not successful. I've also just performed a full factory reset and the same issue of mismatched WAN/External IP is present.

*Facepalm* I just want it to work so I can get rid of Plex! :(

By any chance are you on Metronet or other ISP that does "double NATting?"

On Metronet for example, unless you pay for a static IP, you share an IP with many other people. It's like having a router in front of your router. If that is the case as it is with me, the only solution is to pay for a static IP.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1