Old style Collections\Boxset finally deprecated?

amack
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I've had my collections setup like this forever

Rambo Collection [boxset]\

Rambo 1

Rambo 2

After the last server upgrade any movie in a collection is not showing up. If I uncheck "Legacy Folder Browser" all the movie show but not in collections.

I know the way I have things organized is "the old way" but it was working.  Especially for big collections like Star Wars or James Bond.  

Is there no longer a way to display collections in Emby in WMC?  Or do I need to redo my organization?

• Like 1

moviefan

I also have this issue.  3.2.28 fixed it.

Where do you uncheck Legacy Folder Browser?  Couldnt find that option.

Edited by moviefan

I am running the Throgsoft themes and in the display option is a tick box for legacy folders.

Also I have arranged my 1000+ movies with a top folder for the collection and subfolders for the individual movies and in the star wars folder besides the movies, Bluray bonus discs, Holiday special it must be close to 15 folders and this arrangement makes for me sense.

/OnSoapBox

Every now and then I read about changes in the server that introduces abnormalities in the WMC client and I am worried. Like Live TV and the Guide populating from the Scheduled service provider with HD Homerun, now possibly Legacy folder browsing. Please consider there are still many of us that like WMC and it's client that depend on a robust server for it.

I am now in the unenviable situation still running 3.2.27 which is solid for the media servers but no guide data for Live TV, when updating the server I dread the thought of having to face errors in the content navigation and display of the media servers.

/OffSoapBox

I am running the Throgsoft themes and in the display option is a tick box for legacy folders.

Also I have arranged my 1000+ movies with a top folder for the collection and subfolders for the individual movies and in the star wars folder besides the movies, Bluray bonus discs, Holiday special it must be close to 15 folders and this arrangement makes for me sense.

/OnSoapBox

Every now and then I read about changes in the server that introduces abnormalities in the WMC client and I am worried. Like Live TV and the Guide populating from the Scheduled service provider with HD Homerun, now possibly Legacy folder browsing. Please consider there are still many of us that like WMC and it's client that depend on a robust server for it.

I am now in the unenviable situation still running 3.2.27 which is solid for the media servers but no guide data for Live TV, when updating the server I dread the thought of having to face errors in the content navigation and display of the media servers.

/OffSoapBox

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50413-3229-collections-ie-boxsets-missing/?p=483925

@@ebr thanks for the link and joined that conversation and will monitor the progress as my Live TV at present does not have a guide were all channels are populated with data but can't update the server until the legacy folder issue has been corrected.

• 2 weeks later...

Life got busy.   I clicked the link to the other thread.  Good to see its being looked.  

In reference to my original question.  Is the best method for movie organization a flat folder structure with no nesting?  Then use the web interface to make virtual collections?  Then those virtual collection only show in the "Collections" option in the web interface or on a device (Roku, etc...)?   Am I understanding correctly there is no way to have box-sets\collections appear along side other available movies?

• Solution

This issue is resolved for the next release of Emby Server so you'll be able to continue doing what you were doing before.

• Like 1

Then those virtual collection only show in the "Collections" option in the web interface or on a device (Roku, etc...)?   Am I understanding correctly there is no way to have box-sets\collections appear along side other available movies?

No, that is not correct.

You will get that same "collapse movies into box sets" functionality with the new method.

• 2 weeks later...

No, that is not correct.

You will get that same "collapse movies into box sets" functionality with the new method.

Are you saying I can have boxsets display along with single titles on the Roku?  That would make me happy! Currently what should be boxsets are displayed as single titles.  So instead of a single James Bond Collection boxset, i have Bond movies scattered alphabetically through out all of the movies..  What magic do I perform to make this happen?

paulsalter

Are you saying I can have boxsets display along with single titles on the Roku?  That would make me happy! Currently what should be boxsets are displayed as single titles.  So instead of a single James Bond Collection boxset, i have Bond movies scattered alphabetically through out all of the movies..  What magic do I perform to make this happen?

This option should do want you want in server settings

post-43534-0-72201100-1507041480_thumb.jpg

I've always had that checked the movies still display individual instead of grouped.  Is it the way I have things organized?

I've always had that checked the movies still display individual instead of grouped.  Is it the way I have things organized?

If you are using these legacy file-system based collections then probably yes.

If you use legacy style collections then you get support for internet metadata for the boxset, and that's basically it. You don't get any of the newer collection features that we've built over the last 2-3 years.

So in your case, yes the settings might appear confusing since you will check the boxes and they will appear to not be working.

If you use legacy style collections then you get support for internet metadata for the boxset, and that's basically it. You don't get any of the newer collection features that we've built over the last 2-3 years.

So in your case, yes the settings might appear confusing since you will check the boxes and they will appear to not be working.

What is the preferred method to take advantage of the new collection features, specifically having collections show along with single movies?

I would suggest taking a look at our Collections wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Collections

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

The multi-select tool was a great surprise!  So I made a few collections.  They show up in the "Collections" view but they still show all the individual movies in the main view.  Is that because I still have the movies nested instead of flat?

If you still have your movies in nested folders with "[boxset]" in the name, then you probably need to move those out onto the same level as all other movies.  Not positive that is causing your issue but that would be the best practice.

If you still have your movies in nested folders with "[boxset]" in the name, then you probably need to move those out onto the same level as all other movies.  Not positive that is causing your issue but that would be the best practice.

I found the problem but I'm not sure of an easy solution.  Since all of my [boxsets] are already considered collections they are already listed when I multi-select several movies to be in a collection. So nothing changes. But if I select the same movies, nested or flat, and create a new collection it works.  It shows the collections along with singles in the "All" screen.  But under "Collections" I now have duplicates.  I don't use the collection view currently but I would like to figure how to get rid of the old references.  Where are the collection references stored?

What exactly do you mean by old references? If you created a collection in the web app, you can also delete it from the web app. If you want to rework your legacy boxset so that it is no longer considered a collection, then you will need to remove the [boxset] from the folder name as well as delete the collection.xml file.

Out of curiosity where does the new collection.xml file live?  The old style ones are in the movie folders themselves, where are the new styles stored?