IPTV - M3U source - Request limit to 1 connection per M3U tuner created

blackoper

PremiumRed

Wow nice!!

Luke the only thing missing which will be easy for you is, being able to label the m3u tuner and chosing what user can watch what tuner if you know what I mean

Imagine there are 3 tuners...

M3u tuner - spain.m3u

M3u tuner - uk.m3u

M3u tuner - adult.m3u

Si rename each one like this:

Spain

UK

adult

That will make then easy to identify and then in user settings, under access, make checkboxed for them so you can have “Aarron” and have ticked UK and Spain but “Master” can have just adult ticked.

Do you get what I mean?

jasonwilliams

Here is my experience so far.  I deleted all my tuners, guides and uninstalled all 3rd party plug-ins before starting.

1. Installed 1 M3U tuner and XMLTV guide.  I set the limt to 1.

2. Started watching channel 1 on computer A.  

3. Went to computer B and tried to watch channel 2.  The spinning wheel just spins - nothing comes up.

4. Cancelled and went to watch channel 1 on computer B.  The stream works.

- SO FAR SO GOOD - Except it would be nice if there was a popup explaining why it couldn't stream on step 3 - "All tuners are in use" or something like that.

5. Added a second tuner with the same settings.

6. Went back to computer B and tried to watch channel 2.  The same spinning wheel comes up and the channel doesn't tune.

So it appears we still can't enable more than one "tuner" for IPTV.  

Thanks,

Jason

You can't add multiple tuners pointing to the same m3u. That is not supported and certainly nobody is testing that.

My test so far:

Simultaneous stream limit not working on my VOD IPTV channels:

I have set the limit to 1 connection:

Original Media info:

Container: mkv

Video codec: H264 High

Audio codec: AAC LC

Audio bitratre: 192 kbps

Audio channels: 2

Audio sample rate: 48000 Hz

Reason for transcoding: Subtitle format not supported

On my iptv provider client dashboard I can see directly when I start a VOD iptv channel, that 2 connections are being used by Emby Server and that the setting of 1 connection max for the m3u tuner is ignored.

PremiumRed

Okay done some tests...

M3u tuner - spainaarron.m3u

M3u tuner - spainbob.m3u

Spainaarron.m3u has same iptv list as spainbob.m3u

Only difference is this:-

Spainaarron.m3u has a list with 1 connection limit and url is: http://myip:8000/live/aarron/mypassword/1.m3u8

Spainbob.m3u has a list with 1 connection limit and url is: http://myip:8000/live/bob/mypassword/1.m3u8

Its working as it should :)

Computer A plays aarron and computer B doesnt play it simultaneously, the same with bob.

Well done :)

jasonwilliams

I see.  So the idea is to set the limit to the number of simulatenous streams that are supported?  I'll try that now.

I deleted the 2nd tuner and set the limit on the first tuner to 2.

Went back to computer B and was able to start another stream.  Success!

Tried to watch another channel on computer C and just the spinning wheel.  Success!

Setup a recording and was able to watch the same stream on Computer A while watching a different stream on Computer B.  Success!

I'll keep testing, but the only thing so far is to send a popup notice when no "tuners" are available.

Edited by jasonwilliams

You can't add multiple tuners pointing to the same m3u. That is not supported and certainly nobody is testing that

Indeed, you can already set the connection limit for that same list, so no need to add the same list again.

@@Luke In the server dashboard, there is already a message system to clients, could Emby use that to inform the user that connection limit is reached for that tuner instead of the spinning circle ?

From my VOD test it seems that only user limit is handled by Emby server for the m3u tuner, is that correct ?

Can Emby also prevent setting up more than one connection to my iptv provider when only one channel is played, because I see 2 connections for x minutes to my iptv proivider and after x minutes it is reduced to one connection. Is that because of transcoding the VOD iptv channel ?

Edited by Senna

My test so far:

Simultaneous stream limit not working on my VOD IPTV channels:

I have set the limit to 1 connection:

Original Media info:

Container: mkv

Video codec: H264 High

Audio codec: AAC LC

Audio bitratre: 192 kbps

Audio channels: 2

Audio sample rate: 48000 Hz

Reason for transcoding: Subtitle format not supported

On my iptv provider client dashboard I can see directly when I start a VOD iptv channel, that 2 connections are being used by Emby Server and that the setting of 1 connection max for the m3u tuner is ignored.

How to report a problem. Thanks.

@@Luke Attached my log files and below an anonymized screenshot of my iptv providers client dashboard showing it is using 2 connections to my iptv provider when playing the VOD iptv channel while Simultaneous Connection Limit was set to One:

5a102cef6ac49_2_connections.png

Edited by Senna

@@Luke Attached my log files and below an anonymized screenshot of my iptv providers client dashboard showing it is using 2 connections to my iptv provider when playing the VOD iptv channel while Simultaneous Connection Limit was set to One:

Your provider is serving up completed mkv files rather than a raw, rolling transport stream. We can try allowing it for this but i'm not really sure it's going to work. You might end up seeing playback failures.

That's how most IPTV providers deliver their VOD channels to their clients.

Just let me know if you want to test this and I will inform you about the results.

Thanks !

• Like 1

revengineer

Nice work, Luke, thank you! I confirm that the basics are working. Unlike the current stable version, I can play 2 stream in two separate browser windows (2 streams is my provider max).

Also stream sharing works when viewing in a third browser one of the channels playing in the two browsers opened previously.

Trying to open a third channel no longer shuts down channels currently playing. So that is great too.

I do agree that a message would be nice indicating that all streams are in use. The spinning circle is not helpful here because I cannot distinguish between all streams in use and a channel that is not playing (iptv sometimes unrealiable).

Looking forward seeing this in the next stable release.

• Like 1

Marooned

Luke,

I must applaud you on the speed of this request.  I've been following this thread while also tooling around with different backends and spending days worth of reading requests after request after request from other services and in a matter of a month you have implemented something that I have a huge need for, with mind you, no complaints.  I've been an Emby user since almost the beginning and it amazes me how you guys listen to your audience and react accordingly.  Most every other service out there tells you to go bite dirt or makes some hokey workaround that seems ridiculous.

Awesome work!

Marooned

One quick question.  I noticed you said there was a beta, is the only supported platform Windows?  I'd like to try this on Mac or even Kodi as a server.

Thanks again!

We do have beta releases, but at this point not all operating systems are included. Currently MacOS does not get daily betas, sorry.

You can test the shared mkv in .13. If there is an issue then I'm going to take mkv sharing support out for now and we'll revisit later. We might have to use ffmpeg just to create the shared buffer, which means then we'll have to deal with an onslaught of questions about why a single playback session requires two ffmpeg processes. But let's see if it works.

Hi Luke, I see you guys superseded .13 with .14 already, so tested it in .14 and stream doesn't play. What I do see is, that now only one connection is used when I want to play the VOD channel.

Lets put mkv sharing support on Hold right now and I suggest to do a direct test for yourself with this issue, by me providing you some of my links to my iptv providers VOD channels. Due to the 6 hours time differences between my location and your location, you can test my links when my local time is past 12:00pm, so your test won't interfere with my family watching IPTV, due to account restraints of my iptv subscription.

Let me know if you want to do it this way, then I will send you the info in a PM, or I can post some logs here.

ShotToTheDome

Thanks for the info.

Cool. I'll have to check this out now that there is a stream limiting option.

Luke, can I pipe the iptv stream through ffmpeg with emby's native iptv client? That's what i've been doing in TVH to make the stream stable when skips/drops occur. example of a piped iptv entry:

pipe:///path/to/ffmpeg -loglevel fatal -i http://iptvinfo/stream.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy -metadata service_provider=STRING -metadata service_name=STRING -f mpegts -tune zerolatency pipe:1