IPTV - M3U source - Request limit to 1 connection per M3U tuner created

blackoper

blackoper

So I've spent time reading through everything on the forum about IPTV and M3U tuners.

Is there any reason why we can't treat each M3U tuner as only being able to tune 1 channel from the channel xml list or have that as a user defined setting?

From the reading it seems like the M3U tuner is considered to be "unlimited" streams by default. If limited to 1 stream you could create as many m3u tuners for a source as available connections.

Emby would also be able to mark them available or watching as they are used

Example screenshot of how my tuners would be created if this was the case:

two hdhomeruns - 4x tuners

6 m3u tuners for iptv provider 1 - provider allows 6 concurrent connections

2 m3u tuners for iptv provider 2 - provider also allows you to pay for 6, paying for 2

As they are used, they get set to watching. When all are used it acts just like hdhomeruns and errors out when that source is out of connections. I assumed this was how it would work by default based on how physical tuners worked.

Another option would be allowing us to specify how many connections per m3u source and building that number of virtual tuners for that source. Probably a cleaner way to do it.

post-217697-0-40036900-1504285231_thumb.jpg

post-217697-0-35597700-1504285243_thumb.jpg

Edited by blackoper
  • Like 2

maegibbons

So I've spent time reading through everything on the forum about IPTV and M3U tuners.

Well done!!  m3u can be quite complex, so doing a lot of reading is important.

I agree with what you are saying.  The number of streams you are allowed from your providers should be entered and then only that number of streams should be allowed.

Also sharing the incoming stream, like HDHR, should be allowed to save incoming bandwidth.

Krs

Mark

• Like 1

ShotToTheDome

I need to delete my other test user I created. I keep accidentally signing in as it. This my main Emby username instead of blackoper

PremiumRed

For this to work, you would need to add an option to rename the m3u tuner with the username of the m3u list so you would know what m3u tuner to select for the desired user

maegibbons

TBH I think that is an extension on a per user basis as to what is required.  I certainly would be happy with an overall m3u tuner count/limit and stream sharing to save incoming bandwidth.

Krs

Mark

• 2 months later...

Well done!!  m3u can be quite complex, so doing a lot of reading is important.

I agree with what you are saying.  The number of streams you are allowed from your providers should be entered and then only that number of streams should be allowed.

Also sharing the incoming stream, like HDHR, should be allowed to save incoming bandwidth.

Krs

Mark

+ 1 for the "sharing the incoming stream, like HDHR"

That could be nice.

:)

revengineer

+1 for better accountability of m3u tuners. We have regular conflicts within our home, and I have a number of recordings that got aborted because two many streams were in use. This affects every days use, and seems to be a tall-pole issue. Probably not too hard to fix either.

maegibbons

Lets go for revolutionary!

Lets FIX Tuner Count AND Stream Sharing at the same time. :o

Krs

Mark

Lets go for revolutionary!

Lets FIX Tuner Count AND Stream Sharing at the same time. :o

Krs

Mark

+1 For FIX tuner count and limit connections, because that will bring me back to installing Emby again :rolleyes:

Stream sharing of same IPTV channel should be easy to implement for Emby if they fix connection limit m3u tuner and is no rocket science, because other software solutions already can do that....

Edited by Senna

I guess the others were talking about that m3u tuner settings would be nice to have, that in that settings, you can limit user connections, by setting the amount of connections that are allowed to your IPTV provider.

So if you have an iptv account that allows 4 connections, than the m3u tuner must count the number of actively playing Emby users connecting to that m3u tuner and must block (or disallow playing a channel) every Emby user above that 4 already connected users to the same m3u tuner.

With that, Emby must direct play every iptv channel if the used Emby client can do so, so that only one connection is used to your iptv provider.

Edited by Senna

Yea i get the connection limit, but someone said tuner count and connection limit as if they were two separate topics.

I understand the confusion, but I guess it comes down to the same, that a m3u tuner setting for letting Emby control the connection limit to a m3u tuner, based on what a user sets for the maximum amount of active connections to his iptv provider.

Would be an awesome feature, if Emby would implement that !

Does Emby work with a timeshift buffer on the Emby server to play a stream, because that would fix stream sharing for Emby household users, like my kids watching the same iptv channel in their own rooms for example, that the second user plays the same iptv channel from the timeshift buffer, instead of setting up a new connection to my iptv provider for that same channel to save bandwith.

Edited by Senna

revengineer

Yea i get the connection limit, but someone said tuner count and connection limit as if they were two separate topics.

Same thing, poor choice of language on my part. I was viewing every available stream as a separate tuner. Sorry for the confusion.

The stream sharing support is in beta 3.2.36.9 for testing. it is only applicable for singular streams, e.g., if your provider is delivering segmented formats like hls/dash, then it is not used.

If your streams require looping, and thus you have the checkbox checked to enable looping, then it is also not used. 

Have fun.

• Like 2

Thanks for the fast implementation Luke, this feature has convinced me to install Emby Server again, so good job guys :) 

Stream share feature with a m3u tuner is confirmed working on iPad/iPhone IOS apps 1.4.44 and Emby Theater 1.1.176.0, but NOT yet working on Embys "problem" child, the Apple TV 4K with app 1.1.06 beta.

Is locking the m3u tuner for every user when the set number of active iptv channels is in use, were this topic was all about, still work in progress and on Embys roadmap ? Because when that is in place, Emby has a killer feature in the house when the m3u tuner is used with IPTV for the Emby Live TV section. :) 

I don't think we need that because we can always just try to open a stream and then react appropriately when it falls.

maegibbons

I don't think we need that because we can always just try to open a stream and then react appropriately when it falls.

Hi @@Luke

Unfortunately thats not really true with IPTV.  Its not like HDHR where you will get a fail back from the unit on "overload"

With IPTV if you open another stream above the allowed stream count IT WILL OPEN IT and just drop one of the older streams.

You will end up with lots of partial recordings or Live TV suddenlty stopping in this situation.

You do actually need a "Tuner Limit" or "Connection Limit" above which emby internally fails the new request.  It can then do the 10 x 60 second backoff just like HDHR but it needs to count IPTV Connection/Tuner use on its own.

I think having an internal representation as an array of tuners equal to the connection limit is the way to go on this (just like HDHR), then on the server dashboard each tuner instance can be shown as "watching" or "available" again just like HDHR.

I appreciate this is non trivial and will require some significant development but eventually it is what is required.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons
  • Like 4

anthonws

The stream sharing support is in beta 3.2.36.9 for testing. it is only applicable for singular streams, e.g., if your provider is delivering segmented formats like hls/dash, then it is not used.

If your streams require looping, and thus you have the checkbox checked to enable looping, then it is also not used. 

Have fun.

Can you provide more info on what this actually achieves?

Thanks!

Edit: Got it :) It's really sharing the same stream when using M3U Tuners. Amazing! Thanks a lot!

Edited by anthonws

revengineer

Agree with Mark. If too many stream are opened, older ones are shut down. I had a number of recordings trashed because someone started watching other channels. Also, although I am licensed with my provider for two streams and I can watch two stream simultaneously with VLC, I have never managed to run two different channels in two separate browsers using emby. A few seconds after the second stream starts, the first one stops. So accounting for the max number of streams and individual uses is important for IPTV.

Emby doesn't have to re-invent the wheel again concerning m3u tuners about tuner locking.

Look at DVBLink for IPTV, with a m3u you can set up an iptv tuner in DVBLink. You can setup multiple iptv tuners, just as much as your connection limit to your iptv provider allows.

When you have only one iptv tuner in DVBLink:

Every user is allowed to play a channel from that m3u tuner when it is not in use, but if user one is playing channel A and user two starts to play channel B, then user two gets a small looping video playing with the message: "Sorry, all tuners are occupied by other users" instead of the video stream of channel B. User two CAN watch channel A from the DVBLink timeshift buffer of channel A.

For recordings in DVBLink for IPTV it is the same, if a recording is taking place for channel A, all users can only watch channel A from the DVBLink recording buffer of channel A and if a user wants to watch channel B during recording of channel A, then the user gets that small looping video , playing with the message: "Sorry, all tuners are occupied by other users".

When you have (for example) 3 iptv tuners in DVBLink:

Every user is allowed to play a channel from all m3u tuners when they are not in use, but if user one is playing channel A from tuner X and user two starts to play channel B, then user two gets his channel B from tuner Y. If user three wants to play channel C, then user three gets his channel C from tuner Z. Only user four has bad luck when it wants to play channel D, because that user gets a small looping video playing with the message: "Sorry, all tuners are occupied by other users"

For recordings in DVBLink for IPTV with multiple tuners, same rules applies that tuner lock is applied, like explained above.

I have an iptv account where 3 simultaneous connections are allowed to my iptv provider. In DVBLink I made 3 iptv tuners, so when users are watching iptv with the DVBLink apps or Kodi DVBLink PVR, DVBLink controls the max amount of connections to my iptv provider, so recordings of iptv in "DVBLink for IPTV" NEVER FAILS because of that control system of locking m3u tuners explained above.

Edit:added Kodi DVBLink PVR

Edited by Senna