Sort Artist's Albums by Release Date

bhelm

This topic came up before but i wonder if there is a Solution now or it can be solved in the future.

If i Navigate in the Webapp from Music -> Artists -> <select artist> and click on the "More" on Albums, i would expect the Albums to be sorted by Release Date descending, but they are sorted alphabetical. Url reads /web/secondaryitems.html?type=MusicAlbum&artistId=...

Also, in the Artists view, there are 6 albums displayed. it would make sense to display the latest albums (by release date) there too, because if the artist has new content, i listen the new ones more frequently.

there are artists that have 50+ albums released over 25 years and changed their style a lot during that time. finding the latest album in a alphabetical sorted list is almost impossible if you do not know the name of the latest album.

it would be also nice if the release year would be visible on the albums list.

i would prefer if the albums are sorted by release date descending by default. subsonic does that, spotify and qobuz streaming services too, so why emby should not?

Ps. i have replaced subsonic by Emby now completely for music listening and it does a good job. Thank you.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

+1

I would suggest that the same goes for people views. If you click on an actor or director, it would be useful to see their body of work chronologically for the same reasons stated above.

• Like 1

aspdend

+1 for me on this as well - I've also dumped subsonic now and just use Emby so this would definitely be a nice to have.

I have emby 3.2.32.0 installed for several days now.

in the Artists view, the 6 Albums displayed there are now sorted by release date like requested. But if i click on "More" the full list is still sorted alphabeticaly. Can that be adjusted too?

If i Navigate in the Webapp from Music -> Artists -> <select artist> and click on the "More" on Albums, i would expect the Albums to be sorted by Release Date descending, but they are sorted alphabetical. Url reads /web/secondaryitems.html?type=MusicAlbum&artistId=...

Thank You.

• 3 years later...
shelington

Hi i'm new and haven't used the forum before so sorry if this isn't the right place for this....

I am currently having a similar issue as described above. When sorting albums by release date i'm getting most albums sorted correctly but some albums from random years are appearing at the top mixed between 2020 albums. Also I've tried sorting artists by release date and all that does is sort alphabetically. 

Did anyone ever get a fix for these issues?

Edited by shelington

PenkethBoy

if albums dont sort correctly - usually its that the problem ones dont have a release date

update then/correct them and they will sort correctly

As for artists again you probably dont have data for release date ( think this is supposed to be dte of when they formed/began) - i dont have relesase dates for 99% of my artists

weird sorting is 99.9% lack of or issues with your data 

i.e. it works fine if you have relese dates for all albums etc etc

shelington

I do have correct data for albums and they are displaying release year correctly in the list. They're just listed in the wrong place. Strangely there is only one album from each year from 2019 down to 2011 displayed then it returns back to the 2020 albums. I've checked all the tags and metadata and all are ok. I've also been using the same library in other services and have never had this issue before

PenkethBoy

yep you do have missing data as i described as missing release date will cause the restart at 2020

shelington

Thanks for replying but as I said I've double checked the data, I meticulously tag my whole library, the release dates are being displayed correctly for each album so I'm not sure what data could possibly be missing

PenkethBoy

Is this what you are seeing with albums sorted by release date?

959731230_Annotation2020-10-10215146.jpg.8a358ab3b2ac2324e0dfe79600602924.jpg

and for Dean Martin album

501535452_Annotation2020-10-10215155.jpg.072fbf8d1ea70f482d2cd92025c97d22.jpg

ginjaninja
On 10/10/2020 at 21:53, PenkethBoy said:

i am not familiar with year vs release date situation. which tag does emby use for release date?

my albums seem to be sorting by year descending in artist view ok (looking at a couple of artists).

ive found the odd album with release date populated, but not aware why.

indeed release date does not seem to affect album sort order on artist view for me. if an artist has two albums in 2011. i can not make the 2nd album sort before first by giving the 2nd album a more recent release date.

tested on 4.6.0.2

shelington
On 10/10/2020 at 9:53 PM, PenkethBoy said:

No this isn't what I am seeing. My release dates are populated 

PenkethBoy

not sure which tag it uses - if any for release date - i think it comes (or i suspect it used to come) from mbz data - although have not seen a release date added to an album in a long while

basically as i see it - emby uses release date to sort albums but if its missing as in my quoted post then it falls back to the year - thats why you see albums down to 1997 then back to 2001.

If all albums have a release year then they sort fine or if you have no release date for any albums they will sort fine

think (not checked) but on the artist home page it just uses the year - consistency is king in emby

• 1 month later...