Server: Directed By and Written By (clickable, for searches)

Tremas
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Tremas

Problem: "Cast and Crew" is a combined list such that the most important Crew members (Director, Writer) are listed after the most uninvolved actors. Often, this means a user has to click the "more" button (web client) or hunt somewhere in the middle of a long list to find the director.

Suggestion: Separate "Cast and Crew" into two lists so it is clear where crew begins. Alternatively, move director to a more prominent positon in the movie view.

It's a small thing, but I think many users like to click on a director or writer to see "other works" in their collection and right now those guys are buried in the list.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
afullmark

59a5980ad7c36_DirectedbyWrittenby.jpg

The Plex Media Server has 'Directed by', 'Written by' and 'Studio' (each clickable to a search query for the particular director and writer or studio. Could this be somewhere prominent for movie info pages with the Emby server (and clickable for searching)?

• Like 1

afullmark

We do have them and they are clickable, they're just blended in with Cast & Crew.

Could this be separated out like you do on the Android TV app; it wasn't immediately obvious where the Director and Writer are, and if the list of actors is long then you don't see the director or writer at all (without 'more' or scrolling). The same for studio; if  'Directed by', 'Written by' and 'Studio' were up near the genre info. 

It probably makes sense, yes. We just have a lot of info up at the top at this point. It's at the point where if we add anything I would want to take something out to avoid clutter.

afullmark

It probably makes sense, yes. We just have a lot of info up at the top at this point. It's at the point where if we add anything I would want to take something out to avoid clutter.

This was just my impression when I used emby for the first time – first times count, i think – and the directors, for me at least, are why I might watch or purchase a particular movie: not the actor.

On a big screen ( desktop or tv ) I think the space can accommodate director, writer and studio. Maybe just genre, director and cast for mobile.

Anyhow, just a suggestion for something adding that I missed seeing.

afullmark

Thanks for the feedback. I do think it makes sense to separate.

Wanting to avoid clutter is great. And I have an idea in that regard for the Emby server move info page (likewise for TV):

• Instead of having the media technical info (bitrate etc) at the bottom of the movie info page, why not remove it altogether to a 'Tech Info' reveal link whereby the info is revealed if it is clicked on.

With your Desktop (theatre), Emby Server and TV apps (Android TV etc) I think it could be a justified change that is an improvement on movie info visibility that isn't currently present.

I'd do I mockup if I was that capable, but just for thoughts on space saving regarding what we discussed: 

59a69d1d5ad41_Space.jpg

We can't remove the media info, that will draw too many complaints. i'm not concerned about what's at the bottom because you have to scroll to get there anyway. i'm more concerned about the amount of stuff up at the top.

• Like 1

afullmark

We can't remove the media info, that will draw too many complaints. i'm not concerned about what's at the bottom because you have to scroll to get there anyway. i'm more concerned about the amount of stuff up at the top.

I'll leave it in your hands. I would love seeing 'Directed By' and 'Written By' & studio holding a more prominent position.

afullmark

Was just reading about your move to new .net; any chance of the 'Directed by', 'Written by' and 'Studio' changes discussed could be implemented along with the official stable release of the server based on new .net?

• 2 weeks later...
chander421

I can understand that 'Written by' and 'Studio' aren't in a more prominent position but the director of a movie is an essential piece of information for any movies addict. Trying to migrate from Plex, this information and the country production (didn't succeed to find it in the movie's info tab?) are two absolute required informations when trying to navigate through hundred of movies...

Thanks for keeping us informed of any progress regarding that particular point.

• Like 1

You could like the suggestion here to separate cast from crew: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45217-emby-theater-web-client-separate-cast-from-crew/

Instead of two lines of "cast" with a more button, you could have one line of cast (top 5 with a more button) and one line of crew (top 5 with more button). That should get the writer, director, and producer on their own line (with a few others) and easy to navigate with.

• Like 1

afullmark

You could like the suggestion here to separate cast from crew: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/45217-emby-theater-web-client-separate-cast-from-crew/

Instead of two lines of "cast" with a more button, you could have one line of cast (top 5 with a more button) and one line of crew (top 5 with more button). That should get the writer, director, and producer on their own line (with a few others) and easy to navigate with.

Yes, getting the Director, Writer etc into plan site to be used to filter other movies with same Director etc was the emphasis of my feature request. Yours is so similar but not in that i proposed moving Director etc to the top as per the image at the start of this discussion. These two feature requests could very well be merged. It’s rather up to @@Luke as to how he implements them; either one or the other or both together.