Client Hardware - Cable Box Replacement (updated 11-04-2018)

pir8radio

Guest asrequested

strange, mine (little white led) sleeps when I turn the tv off and wakes when its back on..   maybe firmware update?

Maybe, but this is actually more like I want. TV on, right the page (the guide) I left it. My TV is pretty old, though. I'm presently trying to figure out why the server is transcoding the audio from AC3 (which the Mi Box supports) to AAC.

Guest asrequested

I noticed it direct plays if "Direct stream live tv" is enabled in the emby client settings, I have not reported that yet..  However when it is in that state you cant pause live tv... 

I have that enabled.

PrincessClevage

The least of which is TV playback takes 11 seconds to start. And it's glitch. It doesn't direct play, it direct streams. I haven't checked the server logs, yet.

CEC works well until I turn it off. Turning it back on, well it just doesn't. Only my TV comes on, I need two remotes. What I liked in the review was that I could just turn it on and go right to TV. But it just I can't get it to work. I'm going to have try and make it always on. Then I can just turn the TV on an off.

I think an app was mentioned to assist with auto start

pir8radio

I have that enabled.

59a8be534974c_Capture.png

Yeah, I can't get it to work. It won't find the app

You clicked too many switches..  I did the same thing.   its a bug in that app, but the only one i could find to auto start emby..  Remove the app, re-install it and only click the "ENABLED" switch.  you will notice "Select APP" pops up..  Don't click "Launch TV App on Boot" that launches the default tv app, not the one you select.

• Like 1

pir8radio

I'm running the update, which it's refusing to install

lol man you are having all kinds of issues..  Its the MiBox3 correct?

pir8radio

Now it's updating. It says it contains bug fixes. Let's see if it squashes my bugs.

oh good, i was starting to feel bad for talking you into it..    I just ordered 3 more yesterday...  I'm going to bed and to watch some tv on mine, good luck buddy!   :)

Guest asrequested

oh good, i was starting to feel bad for talking you into it.. I just ordered 3 more yesterday... I'm going to bed and to watch some tv on mine, good luck buddy! :)

A word to the wise. With each one, on first start up, factory reset it and run the update. THEN start using it.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Well it's very clunky, but gets the job done in the end. It's transcoding the audio, but I think (even though my TV supports AC3 and DTS) the Mi Box doesn't seem to get that. For movies, it's fine as the server is very quick to make the conversion. It sucks with Live TV. It takes 11 seconds to start, then it stops and starts a few times, then it plays correctly. I think this is partly due to the server handling the TV stream. The Emby UI keeps missing pieces until I restart the app. I think this is the box, not emby. This is so not ready to be a solid replacement, but I think I can make it work, for my needs. I really only watch TV where it is, so I'll see how irritated I get after a week or so. Maybe they'll update it and it'll get better. Meh!

Guest asrequested

Also, I'd rather use it's own remote for everything, but it can't control the TV, as it's Bluetooth. So I have to use my big clunky TV remote, and sometimes switch between them.

I'll keep experimenting, and see if can whip it into shape.

• Like 1

clarkss12

My $38 MeCool M8S Pro Plus, running a modded Android TV OS (ATV), smokes my Xiaomi MiBox and my Nexus Player.  But it has bad WiFi and no BlueTooth.  Yes, live TV is slow changing channels on all my devices.

Wilky13

At the time of writing there is no Live TV support.

Ah, ok. Apple's sandbox prevents LiveTV, but Roku/FireTV don't?

Edit: never mind, just saw Luke's post. Maybe it's time to get a new AppleTV....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Wilky13

pir8radio

Well it's very clunky, but gets the job done in the end. It's transcoding the audio, but I think (even though my TV supports AC3 and DTS) the Mi Box doesn't seem to get that. For movies, it's fine as the server is very quick to make the conversion. It sucks with Live TV. It takes 11 seconds to start, then it stops and starts a few times, then it plays correctly. I think this is partly due to the server handling the TV stream. The Emby UI keeps missing pieces until I restart the app. I think this is the box, not emby. This is so not ready to be a solid replacement, but I think I can make it work, for my needs. I really only watch TV where it is, so I'll see how irritated I get after a week or so. Maybe they'll update it and it'll get better. Meh!

The live tv start stop is an emby issue, it does that for all of my android based devices, i believe you are correct though its due to server handling the stream maybe something to talk to @@ebr about.  Never saw the "missing pieces" that you speak of. 

Great info!

Does the MiBox have the Live Channels app available also?

Yep, I can see the live TV guide, and view channels directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

The missing part I'm referring to, is the header section. The app doesn't seem to like being left running for long periods. This morning I discovered the guide doesn't automatically move forward. I had to advance it myself, and then it asked if I wanted to load the next 9 hours.

• Like 1

Good stuff! How would you compare the Live TV video quality between the MiBox and Emby Theater? Do you use Wifi or have a USB adapter to plug in a network cable?

I currently have desktops for all of my TV's running Emby Theater - it's a bit of a pain to manage if something craps out with Windows, and updates, and such. So looking to simplify, save $$ on electric by not having 4 desktops running and not have a mini tower. I do love Emby Theater though and the Live TV performance of my Nexus Android TV isn't quite there.

So, my main HTPC wipes the floor for video and audio, that room has my HT system in it and the system has an expansion GPU card and Emby server resides on it. That system was also $800 when I first built it.

Tuning to a channel is faster on my main system. This makes sense as the TV stream is passed from: hdhomerun prime > Emby server > the local ET client. Instead of the TV stream is passed from: hdhomerun prime > Emby server > another computer's ET client.

That said, the video on the mibox is really good. I had an old mxII droid system a while back and found it to be wanting...

The mibox seems to synch a handful of channels at a time. This seems to speed up rendering, and allows for faster up, down right, left and select show, navigation in the TV guide.

I don't have direct play enabled on the Mibox as my wife likes being able to pause live TV.

My bedroom (where I am testing the mibox) doesn't have a sound system so all audio goes to the TV built in speaker. I had to set my audio setting to stereo in the Emby app on my mibox as the audio didn't sound right at first.

I am still playing with the settings in the app. I have voice and audio synch settings in the app enabled. This happened when I was having audio trouble (above). This seems to have compounded the delay when tuning to a channel. I am going to disable it later today and test the audio again.

• Like 1

A word to the wise. With each one, on first start up, factory reset it and run the update. THEN start using it.

If reset to factory is an option I always do that first.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

So, my main HTPC wipes the floor for video and audio, that room has my HT system in it and the system has an expansion GPU card and Emby server resides on it. That system was also $800 when I first built it.

Tuning to a channel is faster on my main system. This makes sense as the TV stream is passed from: hdhomerun prime > Emby server > the local ET client. Instead of the TV stream is passed from: hdhomerun prime > Emby server > another computer's ET client.

That said, the video on the mibox is really good. I had an old mxII droid system a while back and found it to be wanting...

The mibox seems to synch a handful of channels at a time. This seems to speed up rendering, and allows for faster up, down right, left and select show, navigation in the TV guide.

I don't have direct play enabled on the Mibox as my wife likes being able to pause live TV.

My bedroom (where I am testing the mibox) doesn't have a sound system so all audio goes to the TV built in speaker. I had to set my audio setting to stereo in the Emby app on my mibox as the audio didn't sound right at first.

I am still playing with the settings in the app. I have voice and audio synch settings in the app enabled. This happened when I was having audio trouble (above). This seems to have compounded the delay when tuning to a channel. I am going to disable it later today and test the audio again.

Setting it to downmix audio in the app, makes the server transcode the audio and direct stream. That's what's happening on mine, but I can't get around it. You could try the same setting in the Mi Box settings, instead of the app. That might solve your issue. Edited by Doofus
  • Like 2

Ah man, I am sorry to hear that. In my house we cut the tv cord 6 years ago. For me there are a handful of science fiction and science/learning shows I watch from the web. I also watch a lot of movies.

My wife has a thing for home improvement shows and shark week. This year just after shark week, my wife said she wanted live tv so this is the solution we went with (comcast wanted $20 a month for a DVR and extra for secondary tuners). I think here my delay is only 5 seconds or so, I will have to check. Maybe my wife is so happy to have tv that she doesn't even notice the delay in tuning.

One thing that I have noticed is now my kids are asking for specific toys and junk food more often. Additionally, commercials irritate me at my core. I don't like giving up my 8 minutes of my personal time every hour to either watch the commercials, or clicking the FF 8-12 times to skip the commercials. I need to finishing working on my post processing for recorded shows.

Within the Emby settings, it's one of the first few options, to login as this user. How much was it there if you don't mind? I have also read reviews that USB network adapters work with it.

Found it, I am really happy with this little guy.

• Like 1