3.2.29 - Collections (i.e. BoxSets) missing

khodges747
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Theodore

It broke because this legacy setup is just not used much anymore so doesn't get tested well.  Therefore, it is simply more likely to break.

ebr, with all due respect, you are intentionally breaking things since you are unilaterally making decisions on what is and is not legacy and no longer being used.

• You (royal you) made the decision on movie.xml even though enough people were still using it to cause several support request threads be made with multiple comments.
  • You made the decision to remove Liked and Unliked even though people were still using it to cause several support request threads be made with multiple comments.
  • You made the decision to remove the ability to right click or middle click and open content in a new tab even through people were still using it to cause several support request threads be made with multiple comments.

I'm sorry guys, while I enjoy your product and *AM* an active supporter, your record on making decisions on what is and is not legacy and what is and is not being used is not very good. Instead of just going "Oh the Beta Testers aren't using it so therefore no one must be!" - which incidentally I work at a software developer and that is absolutely *NOT* how QA works! - you need to post notes on what you are thinking (not planning, THINKING) of depreciating on your blog WELL in advance of when you plan to implement so your CUSTOMERS can voice there opinion.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Theodore

Hi all

This is was a discussion about a year ago and I was faced with the same issues of people not understanding or caring why we need to keep the legacy file system. I produce fanart for fanart.tv so having legacy setups is really the only way to keep track of and store the art. Not only that why would you want all your movies just mixed up together, its just such a mess.

Can we please restore legacy functionality and give it support. Also can we try and  make it so that if I have a adult collection folder and a kids collection folder that it keeps them seperate when I click on the collections tab.

God hep us with this.

Need to understand that people who wish to maintain legacy collections cant be swayed to dump it. We have it for reasons which may not be understood by every-one else, not really fair to force us to change because the powers have decided we dont need it or what is best for us.

Adding to my previous comments about this - I reported this exact issue more than a year ago and though it was acknowledged, as far as I know it was never fixed. To bypass issues with inappropriate collection content being shown to the wrong users, that is precisely why I went to manually making my own collection folders.

• Like 1

Theodore

C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\

Where "xxxxxx" is your user account you have Emby installed to. AppData is a hidden folder so you may have to change your folder settings to view it.

Just delete and replace your "system" folder under the MediaBrowser-Server folder with the one in the zip. Also, I'd delete any system.old backup folder and disable auto update in Emby server configuration.

Thanks ryan! Worked like a champ and my collections are back!

• Like 1

skynet600

Read this thread and I am not sure where you are with this. I am happy that the dev's recognise there is a problem and I am happy to allow time to fix it but I really hope it is fixed. I have all my collections in the "legacy" format to and would rather not have to change that. Some in this thread have said that they see the individual films but not the collection view. This is different for me. The title is completely missing from my library unless in Genre view. I can search for it and it shows me the titles that make up the collection and I can go into it but it simply doesn't show in the other listings including collections and all.

• Like 2

Kenacious_D

Yes we will look into it for the next release of Emby Server, thanks.

EBR and Luke,

thanks guys! I appreciate you listening to the community and taking care of the issues as they come up. This is another reason I've been with this product for so long, you guys are great!

• Like 3

moviefan

I have to say I am disappointed that it sounds very much like this "feature" is not coming back.

What exactly did you read that made it sound like that?

That is not enough information.  What isn't working?  After deleting the xml did you rescan the library?  Are the individual movies showing up?

As per comment #58:

.......  EMBY got auto-updated in my absence from 3.2.28.0 to 3.2.30.0 and all of my 280 odd collections are missing.

Metadata Manager now also do not detect the movies within the Collection folder:                                                                                    [THE INDIVIDUAL MOVIES DO NOT SHOW UP, NO]

PS.

I deleted the collection.xml file and re-scanned. No results                                                                                                                    [i DID RE-SCAN, YES]

I renamed the folder. No results

Comment #59:

AdrianW deleted "collection.xml" from one of his collection folders and after a scan the collection appeared (In a slightly different view)   [uNFORTUNATELY THIS PARTICULAR SOLUTION DIDN'T WORK FOR ME.]

Thanks to AdrianW for suggesting something though.

Comment #65:

After deleting another "collection.xml" and rebooting the server, still no luck.                                                                                                [i TRIED IT ALL AGAIN AT THIS POINT] 

I'll try again next weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This evening though, I found that if I remove the "[boxset]" name extension from the end of collection folder, then the individual movies within those collection folders show up in all the "Movies" views again.

I then now read that some of the other guys had the same result by removing the "[boxset]" name extension from the end of collection folder.

It doesn't remedy the missing "Collections" yet but at least the individual movies are available again.

I only did this with a few folders to test.

Edited by Martin

moviefan

So Martin...how much more time will you spend exploring temporary workarounds before downgrading or letting the program owners tell us if they are just going to fix this for us?

Seems like a tremendous amount of energy being wasted.

Hey, maybe you could code the fix?

or letting the program owners tell us if they are just going to fix this for us?

Actually, we've already done that :)

• Like 4

Happy2Play

FYI

Legacy Collections have returned for me in beta 3.2.30.9.

• Like 3

Excellent news Luke. I have been away but will check for update and re-scan my library.

I guess I was wrong when I assumed all the talk about it being legacy and deprecated meant it was gone for good. Apologies for that and thanks again to the team for such a great product!

• Like 1

StealthDefender

Set aside the fact that a collection by actor is unneeded when you can search for an actor and see everything you have that they're in.  Set aside the fact that recreating that collection would take seconds if you DID need it since you could search for the actor, multiselect the lot, and add it to a collection.  The fact is that this doesn't work.  It may get fixed but it's a deprecated feature.  It doesn't get tested.  It has broken before and probably will again.  To me that says it's time to entertain the idea of change.

I didn't want to make this change.  I was vocal about that.  I was wrong.  I spend less time managing collections now than I ever did before.  It's less hassle and the results are superior.  I can't speak for you, but that's my experience coming in with what seems like the same attitude.

In my way i think its better to have all data within the collection folders instead in server folder!

So i have allways my datas of collection on hand if i have to reinstall my system.

It is also a better way to rganize and find movies on a later time if i can use my special way of sorting in folders!

Just my opinion, the server collection way is more uncomfortable for me.....

• Like 1

moviefan

Would it be possible for someone to write a plugin to scan our libraries (for all us legacy method users) for collection.xml files and just have it auto-populate the server collections folder?

This way we could all continue using Emby how we like best but still be able to have full compatibility with everything in the program.

• Like 3

StealthDefender

I have downgraded my server and shut down the automatic update.

Now it all work how it should for me.

It´s an easy solution because i wan´t to keep my folder structure and i have no need for the emby collection way.

Happy2Play

And the next release they will be working again.  As they are working in beta cycle now.

• Like 1

Pirlo1966

Just for the record. I am an (very) old time user. All my collections also disappeared from emby server.

//Movies/Alien [boxset] /Alien.mkv

//Movies/Alien [boxset] /Alien 2.mkv

//Movies/Alien [boxset] /...

//Movies/Alien [boxset] /collection.xml

Looking forward to get them back in collections view.

thanks

• Like 1

Nick's MCE

Luke

It seems to fixed Beta.

I used to create the collection xml file from the server by saving the collection.

I would then rename the xml file from folder to collection and then rescan.

This doesn't seem to work anymore.

The only way I could make it work was to rewrite an xml from another movie.

I will try again but you may want to check it.

Thanks

Nick

So Martin...how much more time will you spend exploring temporary workarounds before downgrading or letting the program owners tell us if they are just going to fix this for us?

Seems like a tremendous amount of energy being wasted.

Hey, maybe you could code the fix?

After reading the conversations, I am happy to sit back and wait for the official update.

VLC plays from the folders via network so that's a solution for now. Not so much for the girlfriend but hey, I get brownie points for hooking up a movie for her.

If I had a spare server and time to code, then I'd gladly participate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
Happy2Play

Has this been resolved?

Yes it is resolved in stable 3.2.31.0.

• Like 1

ebr, with all due respect, you are intentionally breaking things since you are unilaterally making decisions on what is and is not legacy and no longer being used.

• You (royal you) made the decision on movie.xml even though enough people were still using it to cause several support request threads be made with multiple comments.
  • You made the decision to remove Liked and Unliked even though people were still using it to cause several support request threads be made with multiple comments.
  • You made the decision to remove the ability to right click or middle click and open content in a new tab even through people were still using it to cause several support request threads be made with multiple comments.

I'm sorry guys, while I enjoy your product and *AM* an active supporter, your record on making decisions on what is and is not legacy and what is and is not being used is not very good. Instead of just going "Oh the Beta Testers aren't using it so therefore no one must be!" - which incidentally I work at a software developer and that is absolutely *NOT* how QA works! - you need to post notes on what you are thinking (not planning, THINKING) of depreciating on your blog WELL in advance of when you plan to implement so your CUSTOMERS can voice there opinion.

Thank you.

Not to mention the "Hide empty folders" option he removed from the Emby for WMC app. Should be in server they say... Years later there still is no solution... not in app not in server not anywhere Very disappointed.