3.2.29 - Collections (i.e. BoxSets) missing

khodges747
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

d00zah

can I also ask how my movies and collections movies should be stored under the new system.

If your movies appear individually in the library as they are stored right now, you should be good to go.

Kenacious_D

This topic makes me so unhappy. I've been a loyal user since Media Browser 2 and have built my entire home theater around Emby. I have approximately 70 collections in the "legacy" folder set up containing over 300 movies. I opened the web interface to select and create a couple of collection in the way that Luke is saying the app wants you to do it but for the life of me I can't see them displayed in Emby for Media Center. Where do I now see these collections?

I will STRONGLY agree with many people above that you really need to continue support for this legacy folder structure.

• Like 4

ryanruck

Once downloaded, where do you unzip it to?

C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\

Where "xxxxxx" is your user account you have Emby installed to. AppData is a hidden folder so you may have to change your folder settings to view it.

Just delete and replace your "system" folder under the MediaBrowser-Server folder with the one in the zip. Also, I'd delete any system.old backup folder and disable auto update in Emby server configuration.

• Like 4

AdrianW

Count me in among the unhappy users - all my collections have disappeared and are no longer accessible via Emby.

I know Luke and ebr have been saying for ages that we should use the Emby collection method - but I much prefer building my collections at the file system level. It just makes more sense to have each series of movies in a single folder instead of spread out all over the place.

• Like 6

I got the same disappointment when I came home from a business trip. EMBY got auto-updated in my absence from 3.2.28.0 to 3.2.30.0 and all of my 280 odd collections are missing.

I use the same (taught) structure as mentioned by the other guys:

59aa806d838e8_Capture.jpg

My media is stored on an external drive for backup and also travel reasons in:

Z:\Movies\............ [boxset]

The travel reasons means that I shut down everything at home and take the HDD with me. My collections .XML data thus travels with me where I connect the HDD to my business laptop and in "off-line mode" it populates that EMBY Server same as my home server has, so the C:\Users\...........\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\data\collections\...........[boxset]\ path does not work for my purposes at all.

"Auto Box Sets" did thus also not do the job that the original filing system allowed for.

Metadata Manager now also do not detect the movies withing the Collection folder:

59aa833b1a102_Capture.jpg

So now! Options?

Do I downgrade to 3.2.28.0 and stay there "possibly forever" or do I copy back and forth the AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\data\collections\ folder every time I travel (BIG hassle when an unexpected business trip comes up)?

PS.

I deleted the collection.xml file and re-scanned. No results

I renamed the folder. No results

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

AdrianW

PS.

I deleted the collection.xml file and re-scanned. No results

This actually worked for me - I deleted "collection.xml" from one of my collection folders and after a scan the collection appeared - note: it ended up as the first item in the library, instead of sorting alphabetically where you'd expect it - that was in the WebUI, in ET I found it sorted correctly.

-edit-

Well, it worked where my collection was below a "mixed content" folder. Where I have collections in a movie library the individual movies just appear at the top level.

Edited by AdrianW

Kenacious_D

C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\

Where "xxxxxx" is your user account you have Emby installed to. AppData is a hidden folder so you may have to change your folder settings to view it.

Just delete and replace your "system" folder under the MediaBrowser-Server folder with the one in the zip. Also, I'd delete any system.old backup folder and disable auto update in Emby server configuration.

Thanks, worked like a charm.

I have to say I am disappointed that it sounds very much like this "feature" is not coming back. One of the reasons I fell in love with MediaBrowser back in the day was the ability to customize it the way I wanted. It's the same reason I use Android over iOS. The attitude of "we know the best way to do things" is very Steve Jobsian. I, like the OP, have OCD when it comes to my file system and I'm not interested in changing it just because someone else tells me it's inefficient/inflexible/whatever. It's not that I couldn't re-architect my file system to accommodate EMBY, it's the fact that EMBY can't accommodate me that bothers me. I would consider switching platforms, except to say that I have tried them all and have always returned to EMBY because it's still the best media server out there (IMHO).

I am still trying to figure out a workaround as I can't bring myself to re-arrange my file system. If I figure something out I'll post back here.

Still hoping the team has a change of heart and can figure out what in the new update broke the legacy collection system...

• Like 2

As this just broke in the last version, I am sure @@Luke could fix it very quickly if he wanted.  

There is no reason to break something that has worked from day 1, both the old and new methods can exist at the same time without issue.

• Like 1

There is no reason to break something that has worked from day 1, both the old and new methods can exist at the same time without issue.

That is not always the case but I think it probably still is in this case.

As mentioned way back in this thread - we didn't' intentionally break this.  It broke because this legacy setup is just not used much anymore so doesn't get tested well.  Therefore, it is simply more likely to break.

If this feature is very important to any of you, then I suggest you join the beta testing cycle with at least a test server so that you can help identify issues like this before they hit the stable release next time.  Apparently, no one that uses this format is in our beta testing group.

Thanks.

• Like 2

This actually worked for me - I deleted "collection.xml" from one of my collection folders and after a scan the collection appeared - note: it ended up as the first item in the library, instead of sorting alphabetically where you'd expect it - that was in the WebUI, in ET I found it sorted correctly.

-edit-

Well, it worked where my collection was below a "mixed content" folder. Where I have collections in a movie library the individual movies just appear at the top level.

After deleting another "collection.xml" and rebooting the server, still no luck.

I'll try again next weekend.

Happy2Play

After deleting another "collection.xml" and rebooting the server, still no luck.

I'll try again next weekend.

That is not enough information.  What isn't working?  After deleting the xml did you rescan the library?  Are the individual movies showing up?

We will look into this for the next release. My suggestion is just to stay on the latest. Your movies are still fully accessible as well as the boxset folders, just not from the specialized boxset menu. Thanks.

moviefan

Your movies are still fully accessible as well as the boxset folders, just not from the specialized boxset menu. Thanks.

This was not true for me.  New movies I added were not being recognized and nothing was showing in Metadata Manager.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

We will look into this for the next release. My suggestion is just to stay on the latest. Your movies are still fully accessible as well as the boxset folders, just not from the specialized boxset menu. Thanks.

There is a example in Post #58.

And with testing it appear to be a issue with [boxset] in folder name blocks all child items.  Tested on .net 3.2.30.6

MCM doesn't do the legacy addition of [boxset] so I don't see this issue in my primary library.

example of issue

59ac85cc3a752_nested.jpg

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

With more testing I had to remove [boxset] for Emby to recognize subfolders in this legacy situation.

• Like 1

Theodore

I came to report the exact same issue (I skipped 3.2.29 and went straight to 3.2.30) and I am glad to see I am not the only paying member who is upset that this was unilaterally removed.

For the record my file system looks like this:

H:\Movies

\Collections

\...

\Jaws

\Jaws (1975)

\Jaws (1975).mp4

\Jaws 2 (1978)

\Jaws 2 (1978).mp4

\Jaws 3 (1983)

\Jaws 3 (1983).mp4

\Jaws, The Revenge (1987)

\Jaws, The Revenge (1987).mp4

\collection.xml

\<artwork>

\...

Deleting the collection.xml and rescanning plus rebooting did not resolve the issue. And only 1 of my collections has a title that includes [boxset] and it was not recognized either. This collection as well as more than 120 others have just simply disappeared. If it was a conversion to NFO files I could understand (even though I *STILL* don't understand that one as the external media fetchers such as Media Center Master and MetaBrowser output XML files) and could adapt easily, but the only collections showing up are ones that have <CollectionItem> in the XML file defining it.

This is the only way I have found to resolve this:

1) Copy the movie folders out of the Collections folder

2) Delete the media through Emby

2a) Sometimes Emby won't release the logo.png file so stop the service and delete it manually

3) Right click on the orphan object and edit info - don't change anything just click Save

4) Delete the orphan object

5) Edit collections.xml to include a direct path to the movie

6) Rescan the library

I see as a reply when this was reported on 3.2.29 that it would be resolved in the next release but it wasn't resolved in 3.2.30. Can you PLEASE push through 3.2.31 (or 3.2.30.1) and resolve this? If I have to do this for all of my collections it is going to take weeks of doing nothing else.

Edited by Theodore
  • Like 1

Broc0liRab3

ok... i have ben using emby server since it came out. i use MCM for my organization. im a lifetime member as also an emby premier member. i like things the way they were. i too use the LEGACY version of the collections with the .xml. i prefer it that way. i will downgrade till you guys figure out how to add this back in. it is a shame because i had it that way on purpose. when you open it the theme music for it plays. i have a VERY specific setup that i frantically organize daily like an idiot. this forum has helped with every issue ive had helping me fix the issue. this is one issue i am DEEPLY disappointed about loosing. it is making me question my continuing of paying. i do not want to use the new collection setup. i eel as a paying customer i have the right to make a FORMAL COMPLAINT about this. im not asking for help i work with comps for a living i know all the ins and outs of emby server by now and all the troubleshooting tricks. but i want the legacy use BACK on the platform. thats it just put it back please. almost half of my library are collections. thank you

• Like 2

Broc0liRab3

After downgrading and seeing that everything comes back up after a library refresh i will continue to use emby the way i was. it got me nervous thinking the downgrade might not even work. ive stupidly spent more than 200+ hours of orgamizing my library and constantly updating metadata and whatnot. i use MCM because i like the format and i bought the lifetime membership when i was using it for mediabrowser 2. since emby came out i downloaded it learned how to use it and used it ever since. i love this setup it is probably the best thing to ever happen when it comes to media organization and the emby theater platform is perfect i dont even use cable anymore i just use this and sometimes kodi. i prefer the legacy organization because 1 its how i already have everything, 2 thats how MCM handles it and 3 its already perfect. i dont believe in fixing something that isnt broken. i will continue to use and support this amazing product but my updates have been put on hold till this specific issue has been fixed. i hope it happens.

definitely one of the best programs ive ever used. between emby theater and the app on the phone. ya cant beat it

• Like 2

I will add my voice of disappointment of dropping the legacy folder collection arrangement to the many longtime users of MB and EMBY, the financial and dedicated forum supporters that also are disappointed and I too would ask for bringing back the collection.xml/folder.xml arrangement.

I have fully financially supported MB 2* plus themes and have done the same with EMBY plus themes and premier support and all of it lifetime. The Throgsoft themes depend on Emby providing it with data that allows the visual display of top folders that are collections and have subfolders. If future server versions don't restore this then I possibly have not only lost for my extensive media library the folder collection display in the web app but also paid for Throgsoft themes that may be useless since it will not display folders with the associated meta data such as the folder.xml file the ClearArt.png and Logo.png files that were either obtained from fanart.tv or custom created.

To restate from an earlier post, we followed the media library organization that was suggested by this products creators and have followed it for years, it would be kind that now those legacy structures would continue to be working and be functional.

As others have already stated I also will be staying with a working server version until this has been solved even if this means that I have to live with the Live TV guide not populating all channels with data.

• Like 3

Nothing was unilaterally removed!

Sorry, but people, we have said over and over again what the situation is here...

As mentioned way back in this thread - we didn't' intentionally break this.  It broke because this legacy setup is just not used much anymore so doesn't get tested well.  Therefore, it is simply more likely to break.

If this feature is very important to any of you, then I suggest you join the beta testing cycle with at least a test server so that you can help identify issues like this before they hit the stable release next time.  Apparently, no one that uses this format is in our beta testing group.

Thanks.

• Like 1